Thread: Skilton on Open Mike

Regular in the Side

Skilton on Open Mike

Great interview by Mike Sheahan with Bobby Skilton.
    What memories the black and white footage brought back of those days ... easy for any crowd to see the beauty of his swerve, evasiveness, impeccable kick from either foot ... but I had never noticed till now that his eyes never moved from the ball at any time. This feeds into what may be seen on several occasions as fumbling ... but the key interpreter of that is that grounds (all Melbourne) in those days were hardly pristine smooth, and often quite boggy at Lake Oval. So what may look like fumbling on a few occasions was in fact a great example of the eye always on the ball approach that kept the ball moving on pretty poor ground until the ball was "in hand" ... then the evasion & disposal as per usual.
    Fabulous stuff ... even though the team broke our heart most weeks and every year, I could still record every Skilton stat on my "footy record", and have something to make the score less ugly than it was. A few jam donuts on the way out also helped!
    These days ... just a wonderful example of humility and love for the club ... the colours ... perhaps even the modern jumper.
    How I wish he had got to play in a premiership team ... but I think Sydney has really made him content.

Open Mike - Bob Skilton - YouTube

Here's the full show for anyone interested. The old footage of Bob is fantastic. Interesting to note he nearly changed to rugby league after trialing with the Dragons.

Excellent interview, would've been nice if it had gone on a bit longer actually.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Bobby is such a humble bloke.

He doesn't live in the past, its never about him, its always about how good the club is these days.

A true living icon of this great club.

Such a great and loyal ambassador for South/Swans. And the bit that got me was when asked about the ultimate highlight in life and it wasn't about him . Really think Sydney needs to immortalize him some how , if you look at someone who gave and is still giving maybe its Sydney's time ?

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Excellent interview, would've been nice if it had gone on a bit longer actually.
    Get onto You tube (Bobby Skilton) and you can find the whole half hour interview (including vision of Bobby in action). Worth it.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Get onto You tube (Bobby Skilton) and you can find the whole half hour interview (including vision of Bobby in action). Worth it.
    Thanks for the heads up everyone, was great to watch. I personally think Mike is a great interviewer and is getting better too.