Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014/5 shopping list ...

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    Instead of looking elsewhere how about we re-sign our top talent who are out of contract this year such as Nick Smith and TOM MITCHELL.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Instead of looking elsewhere how about we re-sign our top talent who are out of contract this year such as Nick Smith and TOM MITCHELL.
    That's all well and good, but can they play as a tall defender?
    Ed Considine's day out - Round 3, 16th April 1995.
    11 Kicks, 13 Handballs, 8 Marks, 1 Goal, 1 Behind, 1 Tackle, 1 Hitout, 3 Brownlow votes (his only votes)
    Ed = God

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffers1984 View Post
    Who else is out of contract at the end of the year? Smith might want to go back to Melbourne, but surely Mitchell is a lock?

Senior Player
    I maybe wrong, but wasn't Mitchell signed to a long term a couple of years ago?

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Correct - well for the first 9 words of your post anyway.
    Goodes will likely have retired by next year, McGlynn is a valuable member of our team and Jetta is one of the most exciting and influential players in AFL when he's not injured.
    Goodes will turn 35 next year and I think the most likely course is retirement, unless he gets back into the team in round 4/5 and plays most of the remaining games in 2014. If he can put together 4 -6 games of the quality that he played against Collingwood and Essendon in 2013, he will be able to earn another contract if he wants to play on. This will be on the assumption that his knee is allowing him to play.

I don?t think the club will ever be in a situation where Goodes wants to play on, but the club wants him to retire and he is looking for another club.
    I think Adam also has an exciting post football career in front of him and may want to get started with that.
    I think we will be able to get Jetta up and running with a bit of patience.

McGlynn, Bird and Nick Smith, I think are a chance to return to Melbourne in the coming years. They are also players who we will have the depth in the reserves to replace. Cunningham, Brandon Jack, Lloyd Perris, Jake Loyd, Harrison Marsh Dane Rampe, Jeremy Laidler, and Dene Towers could all replace those the three players, the hardest being Nick Smith.

Our key defenders are getting on but we have great athletes like Sam Reid, Aliir Aliir, Alex Johnson, Patrik Mitchell and maybe Xavier Richards who can play those roles. If Danny Frawley wanted to play in Sydney he would have to presumably play for less money than his current deal at Melbourne. You could see the GWS throwing a lot more money at him. It would then come down to whether he wants the long commute to Blacktown from Bondi/Coogee.

It would be a theatre of dreams to get Ben Reid, but he is more valuable than Frawley, and may be a step too far unless he wants a pay cut and a lifestyle on Coogee with brother Sam.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    McGlynn, Bird and Nick Smith, I think are a chance to return to Melbourne in the coming years.
    That would be very interesting news to Craig's family.

Goes up to 11
    Yes unless Nelson Bay gets their own AFL team in the next few years I don't think we have to worry about homesickness being a reason for Bird to leave.....

I guess what the OP was saying is that Bird is somewhat replaceable, particularly with our young talent coming though?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    That would be very interesting news to Craig's family.
    Even tho Nelsons Bay appears more enticing, it is a known fact that Birds fly south for the winter....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    If Danny Frawley wanted to play in Sydney he would have to presumably play for less money than his current deal at Melbourne.
    We could pick up Danny Frawley dirt cheap. He might be looking for a new job soon (TV appearances permitting) as I read there are moves to replace him as head of the Coaches Association.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    We could pick up Danny Frawley dirt cheap. He might be looking for a new job soon (TV appearances permitting) as I read there are moves to replace him as head of the Coaches Association.
    Ed Considine's day out - Round 3, 16th April 1995.
    11 Kicks, 13 Handballs, 8 Marks, 1 Goal, 1 Behind, 1 Tackle, 1 Hitout, 3 Brownlow votes (his only votes)
    Ed = God

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Chookbilly View Post
    Sorry guys, had a shocker with the finer facts. My wife would call it bad attention to detail.

Apologies to the Bird and Frawley families.

Senior Player
    I can't find a Danny Frawley on any playing lists. However, I do have spies.

They unearthed a Danny Frawley, and report that he has lost his speed a little.

Also a slight problem with his skin folds.

Must be a bit of a brown nose, cos seeing hanging round with coaches a lot.

But he must have something going for him, because there are constant references to a "golden fist"!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast