Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014/5 shopping list ...

2014/5 shopping list ...

Tippett ... tick ... Buddy ... tick ...

Who's next? ....

Restricted free agents
    David Mackay (Adelaide Crows); Bryce Gibbs (Carlton); Ben Reid (Collingwood); Heath Hocking (Essendon); David Mundy (Fremantle); Todd Goldstein, Lachlan Hansen (North Melbourne); Shannon Hurn (West Coast); Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs).

Unrestricted free agents
    Jason Porplyzia, Ben Rutten (Adelaide Crows); Jonathan Brown, Ash McGrath (Brisbane Lions); Michael Jamison, Kade Simpson, Jarrad Waite (Carlton); Nick Maxwell, Tyson Goldsack (Collingwood); Dustin Fletcher, Leroy Jetta, Jason Winderlich (Essendon); Garrick Ibbotson, Luke McPharlin, Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle); Corey Enright, James Kelly (Geelong Cats); Brad Sewell (Hawthorn); James Frawley, Lynden Dunn (Melbourne); Leigh Adams, Michael Firrito, Brent Harvey (North Melbourne); Domenic Cassisi, Kane Cornes, Tom Logan, Paul Stewart (Port Adelaide); Shane Edwards, Jake King, Chris Newman (Richmond); Sam Fisher, Jarryn Geary, James Gwilt, Lenny Hayes, Clint Jones (St Kilda); Adam Goodes, Nick Malceski, Ryan O?Keefe, Lewis Roberts-Thomson (Sydney Swans); Sam Butler, Dean Cox, Darren Glass, Matt Rosa (West Coast); Matthew Boyd, Daniel Giansiracusa, Dale Morris, Robert Murphy, Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs).

Ben Reid
    Swannies for life!

I don't think we have any cash left in the bank (cap). We really don't need anyone anyway.

Ben Reid

Ben Reid?

Besides how good it would be to stick it to Eddie, I can't see it happening.

I would think that Ben would be looking for around 600k a year. I don't think we are in a position to do that, especially if our cola gets taken away.

But the main reason is that the timing is bad. We have a solid tall backline of Richards, Reg and AJ, with experienced depth from LRT and now Laidler. Ted is 31 and LRT 30. They are nearing the end of the line, but defenders tend to go on to around 33, which brings Ted to the end of 2016. So the question is: If we got Ben Reid, how would we structure our backline for 2015-16?

Right now, we are grooming either Xav Richards or Allir to replace Ted. The timing on this looks okay, as it gives them another 3 years to build the strength and knowledge to play a key defender role.

What does make sense is Ben going to GWS. He would have a family network with Sam and the Shaws already in place. They still have lots of cash left over from the Buddy Franklin war-chest. GWS have lots of young tall defenders, but they hardly played them in the NAB cup. They really could use another experienced defender to help Phil Davis. It would still stick it to Eddie. And we could perhaps try to get one of their younger high draft pick tall, like Jaksch or Corr, who can play either forward or back.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Tippett ... tick ... Buddy ... tick ...

Who's next? ....

Restricted free agents
    David Mackay (Adelaide Crows); Bryce Gibbs (Carlton); Ben Reid (Collingwood); Heath Hocking (Essendon); David Mundy (Fremantle); Todd Goldstein, Lachlan Hansen (North Melbourne); Shannon Hurn (West Coast); Shaun Higgins (Western Bulldogs).

Unrestricted free agents
    Jason Porplyzia, Ben Rutten (Adelaide Crows); Jonathan Brown, Ash McGrath (Brisbane Lions); Michael Jamison, Kade Simpson, Jarrad Waite (Carlton); Nick Maxwell, Tyson Goldsack (Collingwood); Dustin Fletcher, Leroy Jetta, Jason Winderlich (Essendon); Garrick Ibbotson, Luke McPharlin, Matthew Pavlich (Fremantle); Corey Enright, James Kelly (Geelong Cats); Brad Sewell (Hawthorn); James Frawley, Lynden Dunn (Melbourne); Leigh Adams, Michael Firrito, Brent Harvey (North Melbourne); Domenic Cassisi, Kane Cornes, Tom Logan, Paul Stewart (Port Adelaide); Shane Edwards, Jake King, Chris Newman (Richmond); Sam Fisher, Jarryn Geary, James Gwilt, Lenny Hayes, Clint Jones (St Kilda); Adam Goodes, Nick Malceski, Ryan O?Keefe, Lewis Roberts-Thomson (Sydney Swans); Sam Butler, Dean Cox, Darren Glass, Matt Rosa (West Coast); Matthew Boyd, Daniel Giansiracusa, Dale Morris, Robert Murphy, Tom Williams (Western Bulldogs).
    Amazing level of detail! Wonderful post. I think the question is not what we can get but who we have to let go to fit in with the COLA ruling!

Nick Smith is a free agent next year and may return to Melbourne, which would free up some cap room, but also mean we lose a valuable and highly effective player!

Who else may we lose in this off season? I think the Hawks would love to have Kennedy back at some point when Mitchell and Sewell are close to the end !

Look i know people aren't going to like this but Mc glyn back to Melbourne , jetta if he puts another bad year ,and here it comes Goodes . Just 3 lot of money tied up, i know goodes is a champ but look know how many can do his job .Mc glyn is vastly over rated and so is jetta .

Jetta over rated? Probably the most pivotal player in our2012 premiership year. 2013 destroyed by injury. If he gets anywhere near his 2012 form, we'll go a long way to winning another flag this year.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by tasmania60 View Post
    Look i know people aren't going to like this but Mc glyn back to Melbourne , jetta if he puts another bad year ,and here it comes Goodes . Just 3 lot of money tied up, i know goodes is a champ but look know how many can do his job .Mc glyn is vastly over rated and so is jetta .
    Correct - well for the first 9 words of your post anyway.
    Goodes will likely have retired by next year, McGlynn is a valuable member of our team and Jetta is one of the most exciting and influential players in AFL when he's not injured.

I'm another who fails to understand all the negativity around Jets. He was leading goalkicker from a wing/HFF and as influential as anybody in a premiership year just 18 months ago.

You can forget his entire 2013. You don't develop shin splints overnight and I have no doubt his early season struggles were a direct result of that injury until they decided they needed to pull the pin and give him an extended rest in an effort to get him right for later in the year.

He is the best field kick in the team by a mile, the quickest in the team by an inch and now into his 5th season, so ripe to blossom.

There sure are some tough markers in RWO land...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

James Frawley is the one that jumps out at me. Quality AA defender in a horrible team. We have an aging defence with LRT (30), Teddy (31) and Grundy (27).
    Frawley is only 25 and I don't think it will be all about the money, as he will be hungry to play in a successful team where regular finals is a likely prospect, and a premiership window is open. We can offer that.

The question is can we afford it? I know we have some stars retiring, but we would also be wary of which young guys have a contract expiring and will require extra cash to sign on the dotted line.
    Ed Considine's day out - Round 3, 16th April 1995.
    11 Kicks, 13 Handballs, 8 Marks, 1 Goal, 1 Behind, 1 Tackle, 1 Hitout, 3 Brownlow votes (his only votes)
    Ed = God

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    He is the best field kick in the team by a mile, the quickest in the team by an inch and now into his 5th season, so ripe to blossom
    Hope it comes good for him and for Rohan this year. The two of them in full flight, how good would that be to watch:

Swans set for pace injection - sydneyswans.com.au

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast