Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ROK?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Just wait, if we start 0-2 there will be plenty of posters calling for the Horse's head. We are already questioning the game plan. So what choice does he have except to be as brutal as necessary to win a game, all feelings aside.
    You may see that, but they'll be idiots. Longmire is a premiership coach for a start, something Bucks isn't. And Longmire has shown that he knows the team needs to change and evolve. His rationale for going after Tippett and then Buddy is that he felt that the Swans played at their best to win the 2012 premiership, and even then relied on the Hawks missing a few shots. Whether Tippett or Buddy are the right solutions, only time will tell but no-one can accuse Longmire of standing still, resting on his laurels.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    You may see that, but they'll be idiots. Longmire is a premiership coach for a start, something Bucks isn't. And Longmire has shown that he knows the team needs to change and evolve. His rationale for going after Tippett and then Buddy is that he felt that the Swans played at their best to win the 2012 premiership, and even then relied on the Hawks missing a few shots. Whether Tippett or Buddy are the right solutions, only time will tell but no-one can accuse Longmire of standing still, resting on his laurels.
    Say what you want about senior coaches, there is no safer senior coach in the land than Buckley! There would be an Emergency AGM and replacement of the whole Collingwood board before Buckley was removed as coach! Maquare would never let it happen!

I agree with you. But you know how the fans and journos get when a highly touted team under-performs, regardless of past success. Look what happened to Worsfold last year.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The reason according to this article is that he had a 'below-par pre-season'. That's really hard to fathom given how fastidious he has been with his training and preparation throughout his career.

O'Keefe slips down Swans' pecking order - AFL.com.au

Agree in theory, though not on the match-up. Swan is pretty quick - not Jetta quick but a fair bit quicker than ROK. Ball, or even Pendlebury are more ROK's speed.
    Pendlebury looks slow but hardly anyone can lay a hand on him....his brain is quick, his hands are quick and his movement is sooo balanced he moves quicker than he appears...my favourite player to watch now Andrew McLeod has gone.
    "The Dog days are over, The Dog days are gone" Florence and the Machine

Roks year in 2012 won us a flag.

Now his age is starting to take its toll, he ia exposing our midfield as bit. This is the real concern for me.

On the veteran's list
    I'm not saying this is the case with ROK, but the end doesn't come slowly. It comes like a thief in the night and bang, you can't go with them any more. Look at Kennelly and Kirk. Bolts was gone at the end of last year whereas earlier in the year he looked like he had another season or two left in him. A friend of mine was a VFL captain and he suddenly knew he was gone. He didn't slowly lose his closing speed at full back, he lost it over a few weeks and he knew his time was up. It doesn't matter how fit you are or how hard you work or how you watch your diet - the physical attributes that made you a good player have already been taken beyond their norm by the great training etc, but when the body is modified by age, things start to deteriorate. I thought Plugger and Carey could play for ever because of their strength and talents, but they both went downhill so fast. (admittedly after a year off)
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

I don't get all the fuss.

1) His form in the pre season games was poor.

2) He is one of our slowest players.

Horse has long preached...SPREAD...As his major tactic from stoppages.

We already have a relatively slow Kennedy, having 2 slow mids will get exposed by most teams.

I agree with Matt80, I reckon he'll be off to the Demons next year to see out his career...I think that would be a good move for all concerned.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Geez ! Bloody quick to write off a champion after 1 round of footy! Reckon he would have done a better job than many of his team mates if given the chance the other night.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Geez ! Bloody quick to write off a champion after 1 round of footy! Reckon he would have done a better job than many of his team mates if given the chance the other night.
    I agree, give ROK a chance it is only round 1 and just maybe we were a bit complacent at the weekend.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I don't get all the fuss.

1) His form in the pre season games was poor.

2) He is one of our slowest players.

Horse has long preached...SPREAD...As his major tactic from stoppages.

We already have a relatively slow Kennedy, having 2 slow mids will get exposed by most teams.

I agree with Matt80, I reckon he'll be off to the Demons next year to see out his career...I think that would be a good move for all concerned.
    I do think he will be off to the Demons next year. Thanks for backing me up!

I think he may be an outside chance to be the next senior coach at Melbourne after Paul Roos! He will have one year as playing assistant at Melbourne helping and protecting the young Midfielders. He will then move to senior assistant at Melbourne in 2016. Then once Paul Roos completes his three year contract he will be senior coach of Melbourne in 2017.

I think his professionalism, his experience of a winning culture and his optimism to always find ways to win against more powerful opponents will make him a great senior coach!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I do think he will be off to the Demons next year. Thanks for backing me up!

I think he may be an outside chance to be the next senior coach at Melbourne after Paul Roos! He will have one year as playing assistant at Melbourne helping and protecting the young Midfielders. He will then move to senior assistant at Melbourne in 2016. Then once Paul Roos completes his three year contract he will be senior coach of Melbourne in 2017.

I think his professionalism, his experience of a winning culture and his optimism to always find ways to win against more powerful opponents will make him a great senior coach!
    That is certainly interesting Matt80 and I think you may be on the money with Demon's move.

I could certainly see him as an assistant coach, but do you think he has what it takes to be a senior coach?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast