Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: ROK?

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Geez ! Bloody quick to write off a champion after 1 round of footy! Reckon he would have done a better job than many of his team mates if given the chance the other night.
    I'm certainly not writing him off...But given his pre season form, and lack of pace, I can see why he wasn't selected in the 22.

No doubt, as the season roles on, he will play a significant role in the senior... But right now, with no midfield injuries and Horse trying out some new combinations, there isn't a spot for him.

Personally I'd like to see him in a forward pocket, tackling his heart out and kicking a goal or 2 a game...Lets not forget he made his name as a forward.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I do think he will be off to the Demons next year.
    Given your predictions on Bird, McGlynn & Smith all returning to Melbourne, looks like ROK could be up for a 1-2 year contract extension with us soon ...
    Last edited by 0918330512; 19th March 2014 at 01:15 AM.

I do think he will be off to the Demons next year. Thanks for backing me up!

I think he may be an outside chance to be the next senior coach at Melbourne after Paul Roos! He will have one year as playing assistant at Melbourne helping and protecting the young Midfielders. He will then move to senior assistant at Melbourne in 2016. Then once Paul Roos completes his three year contract he will be senior coach of Melbourne in 2017.

I think his professionalism, his experience of a winning culture and his optimism to always find ways to win against more powerful opponents will make him a great senior coach!
    There was mention of them wanting the assistant coach to work with Roos during the transition and I just don't think he has enough experience just yet to be taking over a senior role within 3 years. Demons have had way too much change in the senior coach role, I think they'll want someone internally for a few years first and I think it would probably be an existing assistant coach that joins in the near future.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    That is certainly interesting Matt80 and I think you may be on the money with Demon's move.

I could certainly see him as an assistant coach, but do you think he has what it takes to be a senior coach?
    I think he has all the great qualities of a Senior Coach! He is dedicated, highly professional, would have no problems working the 80 hours plus weeks, he has played in all areas of the ground, is intelligent, from a winning culture and has playerd

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Given your predictions on Bird, McGlynn & Smith all returning to Melbourne, looks like ROK could be up for a 1-2 year contract extension with us soon ...
    At the end of last season there was speculation that Nick Smith was investigation Melbourne clubs! I thought Ben McGlynn might find Midfield opportunities more scarce with B.Jack, L. Perris, H. Cunningham coming through. I got Craig Bird totally wrong.

I don't think that ROK going to get a 1-2 year contract extension, based on where he is currently sitting at the Swans, and is 34 years of age at the start of 2014! I think he will join Paul Roos as a free agent and have an playing - assisting coaching role like a Luke Power at GWS.

He'll play plenty of footy when the whips are cracking. He's never been overly quick, it's just about getting the right balance in the line-up.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

On the veteran's list
    He's a finals player suited to the hurly burly. That's what they want him fresh for.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Cat View Post
    He's a finals player suited to the hurly burly. That's what they want him fresh for.
    Correct. Due to injuries in other areas of the ground, our midfield barely had a rest last year.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

At the end of last season there was speculation that Nick Smith was investigation Melbourne clubs! I thought Ben McGlynn might find Midfield opportunities more scarce with B.Jack, L. Perris, H. Cunningham coming through. I got Craig Bird totally wrong.

I don't think that ROK going to get a 1-2 year contract extension, based on where he is currently sitting at the Swans, and is 34 years of age at the start of 2014! I think he will join Paul Roos as a free agent and have an playing - assisting coaching role like a Luke Power at GWS.
    I've thought along similar lines, but my theory on the whole matter revolves around GWS. It's no secret that they are after revenge for Buddy. They got into Mummy early & Jed Lamb. They have hit our uncontracted players & will continue to do so.
    ROK indicated in an article a few weeks ago that he wanted to play on a few more years. He said he didn't consider age an issue. That won't happen at our club unless it's fits in with our plans & for a minimal amount that fits into our salary cap. In other words he purely plays for another chance at success, much like Jude last year.
    However if GWS come along & say he is the fittest 34 YO in the comp, he is a hard in & under player, never mind his lack of pace. We have plenty outside pace to cover that. We'll give you a 2 years contract Rhino for 500K in total. You don't have to move home.
    So Rhino has to think long & hard about it. I pride myself on my fitness. This is what I do best. Loyalty? Well I stayed after trying to get back to Melbourne. I've given good service but the Swans will only give me one year with no guarantee I will play midfield. The very reason I stayed a Swan. Rhino is a free agent so we would get nothing for him. Another feather in the GWS cap. If he goes to Melbourne he wouldn't see more than 150K & to pack up & move the family for that, it just isn't worth it.
    IMO GWS are at play here & perhaps Horse & some other players have caught onto it. For what other reason would he be kept out of the senior team. That just smacked of some sort of punishment IMO. Much like when we were all scratching our heads as to why a fit Jed Lamb wasn't given a game in the finals, even when we took to the field with half the team crippled. We soon found out he accepted an offer from GWS to move.
    I wouldn't blame Rhino if he jumped at that chance. Loyalty can only go so far. If he can stretch his career out another two years on reasonable coin, I wouldn't blame him.

Yeah I know........too much time on my hands. But Rhino not being named in the original team the other night? I couldn't see Horse doing that for any other reason other than some sort punishment.

totally agree Roos chasing leaders in a team of young boys !

After watching the game the other night, I can see why ROK was left out against GWS. They absolutely run us off the legs in the 3rd and 4th term. Possibly helped by the extra long 1st quarter break, but we got done by legspeed, something ROK does not have much of anymore. I can understand, if KJ was fit, why they were prepared to leave out ROK>
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Tunnel View Post
    I've thought along similar lines, but my theory on the whole matter revolves around GWS. It's no secret that they are after revenge for Buddy. They got into Mummy early & Jed Lamb. They have hit our uncontracted players & will continue to do so.
    ROK indicated in an article a few weeks ago that he wanted to play on a few more years. He said he didn't consider age an issue. That won't happen at our club unless it's fits in with our plans & for a minimal amount that fits into our salary cap. In other words he purely plays for another chance at success, much like Jude last year.
    However if GWS come along & say he is the fittest 34 YO in the comp, he is a hard in & under player, never mind his lack of pace. We have plenty outside pace to cover that. We'll give you a 2 years contract Rhino for 500K in total. You don't have to move home.
    So Rhino has to think long & hard about it. I pride myself on my fitness. This is what I do best. Loyalty? Well I stayed after trying to get back to Melbourne. I've given good service but the Swans will only give me one year with no guarantee I will play midfield. The very reason I stayed a Swan. Rhino is a free agent so we would get nothing for him. Another feather in the GWS cap. If he goes to Melbourne he wouldn't see more than 150K & to pack up & move the family for that, it just isn't worth it.
    IMO GWS are at play here & perhaps Horse & some other players have caught onto it. For what other reason would he be kept out of the senior team. That just smacked of some sort of punishment IMO. Much like when we were all scratching our heads as to why a fit Jed Lamb wasn't given a game in the finals, even when we took to the field with half the team crippled. We soon found out he accepted an offer from GWS to move.
    I wouldn't blame Rhino if he jumped at that chance. Loyalty can only go so far. If he can stretch his career out another two years on reasonable coin, I wouldn't blame him.

Yeah I know........too much time on my hands. But Rhino not being named in the original team the other night? I couldn't see Horse doing that for any other reason other than some sort punishment.

Not sure the GWS would be looking to add another hard body in 2015. The GWS players would be ripe after a four preseasons and they would be ready to fly in 2015.

I agree with your sentiments about the GWS - Swans rivalry. I think if GWS beat the Swans every year their season would be a success regardless of other results.

As I said earlier I believe Paul Roos would value someone of the calibre of ROK in a playing ? assistant coaching role in 2015.

If ROK is not getting a regular senior game at the later home and away point of the year, I would think that he would announce his retirement from the Swans. I don?t think he would give the Swans management the pleasure of delisting him from the list (like what happened to Paul Chapman at Geelong).

He would then go on a family holiday and turn up next to Paul Roos in a Demons jersey at the start of trade week. He would be a very valuable addition to the Demons.

I hope for ROK that he can get back regularly into the team and emulate his form from late 2012.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast