Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our game plan

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I like John Longmire a lot and he led us to the 2012 premiership so we've got much to thank him for. But I do worry that his game plan is heavily influenced by his days as a player in the formidable Carey/Longmire forward partnership. And this might explain his enthusiasm for the Tippett/Franklin recruitments. I've just watched a video highlights reel of Wayne Carey kicking 8 goals in a match for North Melbourne. Brilliant stuff characterised by the Roos' kicking the ball long and high looking for him, and Carey delivering with some amazing marks and deadly accurate goal kicking. Longmire was also a great overhead mark and a huge goal kicker. I am not suggesting that both players (particularly Carey) would not be successful today. But the game has changed since they played. In particular defenders have developed to be able to peel off and double or triple up to spoil the ball coming in long and high. The top teams now play with quick, short transition with low passes to fast leading forwards and by using a spread of goal kickers. That's the way Gold Coast was playing last night. That's the way we played brilliantly when we thumped the Crows last year. I think we have to get back to that style of football.
    You love your football Meg! The interesting point on Carey and Longmire is that a Swans recruiter at the time signed away the recruiting right on those players as 16 year olds for a small fee! The Duck and The Horse should have been Swans players in the 90s as they grew up in our recruiting zone!

Opti-pessi-misti
    Agree Meg. Watching Freo play for a while on Friday night, they looked positively scary. The speed with which they moved the ball and the ferocity with which they tackled had me thinking that they would have had the Swans for dinner too. The Swannies have so got to crank it up a notch or two from Saturday or we will be lucky to make the top 8.

However, as others have pointed out it is only the first game and it is going to take a while for Buddy and the mids to click and for those coming back after being out for so long last year to get back to their best. With Buddy not having much of a preseason it must have been hard to practise strategies etc. It is possible too that Hanners and Jack, Hanners in particular may be experiencing 'burn out' from the extreme pressure of last season - or he is being asked to play a different role. This is going to be a very, very interesting season!!

the game plan for me is in simple layers.......then you put the icing on the cake

if you dont dominate in the below key areas forget about everything else in my opinion !

1. Points for - you need to score more then the opposition and we were fairly shocking in this department even when we had our opportunities > we had 13 behinds last night and.....we only had two less shots on goal and we kicked at 40% and they kicked at 60% !!!!!!!!!!!! plus both teams had the same inside 50's

2. Winning the ball - i wasnt happy with our ruck despite it being level on the centre bounce clearance but our overall clearance work > we were 37 to 58 from memory ? that is just outrageous !!!

3. Max pressure without the ball - when you dont have the ball to win it back - 76-88 we lost the tackle count ie we lost the tackles even though they had more disposals then us...which i know doesnt always reflect the game but still an indicator !!

3i). contested possession we were 10 behind GWS and same again for uncontested we were 10 behind !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Veteran Site Admin
    I have no doubt that the long kicking game style is heavily influenced by Longmire's experiences playing Pagan's Paddock. The main problem with this is that Carey has claims to being the best forward - or certainly CHF - of the modern era and he could do things few others can. Can such a game style work with lesser lights? I think that's what Longmire is banking on, not that a fit and firing Franklin is a "lesser light".

As far as Freo (and Hawthorn and Gold Coast and any other team) playing a different style, I am not sure that means we necessarily have to adopt the same. One mistake chasing teams have made in the past is to try and copy the style of the reigning premiers, only to find they've moved on to something else and other clubs have found ways to limit its effectiveness. Plus the best teams usually evolve a game style that makes best use of the cattle they have available. A club trying to emulate it with a group of players without the same skills or physical attributes is a recipe for disaster.

I don't think there is any reason why a long kicking game to moving targets can't work. It's just that we need there to be multiple moving targets, and for most of yesterday we had Buddy, who was frequently stationary, either via choice or via the long arms of Davis. In the tension of a live game, I wasn't able to work out where Rohan and Reid were hiding themselves for much of the second half.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    You love your football Meg! The interesting point on Carey and Longmire is that a Swans recruiter at the time signed away the recruiting right on those players as 16 year olds for a small fee! The Duck and The Horse should have been Swans players in the 90s as they grew up in our recruiting zone!
    Yeah thanks Greg miller. Cracked the @@@@s cos he was overlooked for the CEO position. Then went to North and signed them both for north

BTW i cant believe that Macca and Kennedy only had 20 and 22 disposals respectively yet Treloar and Ward had 34 and 31 disposals

I reckon among a few stats our Captain and our leading clearance midfielder will be having a little look in the mirror this week

Game Plan = get that leather football in your hands !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

When you have to use LRT as a backup ruckman after his period of absence last year, all I can say is WTF..... Even when fit this is a sad choice.

Regular in the Side
    I have said it before, LRT is not aruckmans bootlace and it is an impossibility that Pyke can ruck without help for a full season. I do not rate Derickx who is a Richmond cast off and Naismith and Nankervis are not yet ready. I am missing my Mummy. Our only salvation will be Tippet who can do some ruck work which will be a total waste of a star full forward who will most likely get injured in the ruck. What we have achieved with our coup is given up White for an aging overweight ex superstar and Everitt for Laidler and Mumford for Derickx plus using up a lot of our salary cap and likely losing our COLA. Somebody once said that a champion team will always beat a team of champions. Which way are we heading?

On the veteran's list
    Quote Originally Posted by rb4x View Post
    What we have achieved with our coup is given up White for an aging overweight ex superstar
    Ageing? - He's in his prime at 27.
    Overweight? - He's the same as he was at Hawthorn!
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

We sucked on Saturday and so did our gameplan but in fairness to the entire squad, we have a couple of new players and we may need some time to gel and tweak.

Now that the Saturday from hell is over I'm starting to get more optimistic.

I have said it before, LRT is not aruckmans bootlace and it is an impossibility that Pyke can ruck without help for a full season. I do not rate Derickx who is a Richmond cast off and Naismith and Nankervis are not yet ready. I am missing my Mummy. Our only salvation will be Tippet who can do some ruck work which will be a total waste of a star full forward who will most likely get injured in the ruck. What we have achieved with our coup is given up White for an aging overweight ex superstar and Everitt for Laidler and Mumford for Derickx plus using up a lot of our salary cap and likely losing our COLA. Somebody once said that a champion team will always beat a team of champions. Which way are we heading?
    I love how plenty of people have written Buddy off after 1 official game in Swans colours!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

We must play Derickx, or why even bother drafting him, so he can learn the trade spudding around in the reserves.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123