Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alex Johnson reinjures knee

The only positive thing to say about this nightmare for AJ is that he is only young. So if (and fingers crossed when) the next op holds he still has plenty of years of good football to look forward to.

Longmire today:

""He sits down in front of you and you can't help but feel for him," said Longmire following a meeting with the likeable defender on Monday.

"He worked so hard to get himself back into playing and was looking terrific on the training track.

"I know he only lasted 10 minutes, but he looked bloody good for that 10 minutes and to happen so easily and so quickly was just devastating for him.

"Outwardly he's pretty resilient and putting on a brave face.

"Inwardly I imagine he's how you would expect, devastated and disappointed and it'll take a few days for him to get over that feeling.

"But he looks pretty determined to get on with the next part of the operation and the rehab again."

Veteran Site Admin
    The biggest psychological issue for a player in Johnson's position (and Menzel's and Morabito's) must surely be a doubt that next time will be any different. Clearly there is some structural issue in their knees that is causing these grafts not to hold. The first time a recent graft gives up almost immediately a player might be able to put it down to just bad luck, but the second time around the doubts must enter the head.

Compare their situation to someone like Malceski, who's had to go through the rehab three times too. That must have been bad enough, but at least he got to play football in between times.

just saw today that jharal yow yeh (broncos player, for those that dont know) has retired at just 24. he was a great young player (couple of origin and australia games) that was struck down by a series of injuries (ankle i think??) and his body just hasnt been able to cope. this is the stuff u hate seeing in any sport, no matter what team u follow. lets pray that alex pulls through the tough times he has to go through all over again, and realises his full potential as a sportsman.

Veterans List
    I see that reports are now confirming AJ has re-injured the reco knee not the other good knee as some have reported. LARS restring and he'll be back playing mid year, plenty of time for our 2014 finals triumphs :-)

Veteran Site Admin
    In case anyone isn't already feeling @@@@ty enough about the AJ situation, check out the reserves match highlights up on the Swans' site. It's a very short video, which is an indictment on how the team performed, but the first play on show will make you weep.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I see that reports are now confirming AJ has re-injured the reco knee not the other good knee as some have reported. LARS restring and he'll be back playing mid year, plenty of time for our 2014 finals triumphs :-)
    I think the Swans website said AJ would be going through traditional once the swelling and infection has gone down. 2014 will be very very unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    I think the Swans website said AJ would be going through traditional once the swelling and infection has gone down. 2014 will be very very unlikely.
    The article I read said traditional. They would be absolutely stupid to even consider LARS with AJ. Got to do a traditional one and hope it holds this time. I expect we won't see him back on the park till probably mid 2015, as they will take a lot of time to make sure they get it exactly right - as another injury like that will surely be the end of him as an afl footballer
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    The article I read said traditional. They would be absolutely stupid to even consider LARS with AJ. Got to do a traditional one and hope it holds this time. (
    Sorry, why would they be stupid to go LARS? I'm not an expert some I'm genuinely in the dark. Just because like a few of our players, he's had a traditional fail. It also came with an infection (unlucky). Curious because it seems to me they were close the first time, probably erred on the side of caution? So went traditional...

If traditional is the best option (but also can fail) and AJ is young and has time on his side, why did we go with the "riskier" option of LARS the second time, and put forward a case to him for LARS the first time?

cheers for your reply.

My mistake- I thought it was LARS first time around, but as Triple B pointed out, it was traditional, then hybrid LARS.

Stupid was probably the wrong word to use to describe doing another LARS - high-risk is probably a better description of what a LARS would be in my opinion. But with it being a traditional failing the first time round, then its probably just as high-risk. It's clear that the club aren't going to try and rush his recovery, so it would make sense to take the safest option to try and ensure the best result, which would be a traditional one I'd expect.
    Last edited by mcs; 21st March 2014 at 09:28 AM.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    It wasn't a traditional that failed in the first place, it was the LARS..
    He first went traditional......
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Senior Player
    Ok cheers for clearing that up.

Im sure the club will do whats right. I think the time is right now, that another one could be a career ender. So reset, take our time and push for a solid 12-18month recovery which will have him @ 23 as fit and ready to take his chance with a hopeful 10 year career ahead of him.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast