Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for the Pies

Quote Originally Posted by GordonS View Post
    cant label rohan inconsistent. he came into the team at the end of last year due to a bunch of other injuries and so that he could get some game time. u cant possibly expect him to be outstanding straight away after a long injury.

also, he was hardly the worst player on the weekend. tippo comes in for lrt possibly (based on the role lrt played) and k jack comes in for cunningham (unlucky but its a like for like replacement)
    I think the point being made is that he would be better off getting game time in the reserves than in the firsts. As much as I love Rohan and think he will be a star, if he doesn't start to get more involved in the play, then he probably would be better off in the reserves for a while till he really gets back running at full tilt. It takes a long time to get over terrible injuries like he suffered, and he is still playing at only at a smidgen of the level he was till that brat from North Melbourne did what he did.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    In: Heart
    Out: Butter
    Pretty good changes there Scott

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I'd leave out one of Laidler or Rampe and one of ROK or Bird. Yes, they call all play decent footy (ROK excellent footy at times) but from a team balance perspective I think they are the most dispensable. If Tippett is available, he slots into the forward line at the expense of LRT, with LRT moving into defence if he's fit to replace Laidler or Rampe. Tippett and LRT can each support Pyke in the ruck at times. Jack is a straight swap for a midfielder.

I had figured LRT might prove excess to requirements once Johnson and Tippett were back as it was hard to find a role for him at either end. But with Johnson now back onto the LTIL, I think he becomes our third tall forward - unable to provide the same running rebound as Johnson but compensating by having the height to compete against the resting rucks and very tall forwards.
    Agree with all of this. It is pretty much what I was saying except without the B.Jack/Rohan swap.

LRT (the un-injured version) definitely becomes our 3rd tall (defender) once Tippett is back.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GordonS View Post
    cant label rohan inconsistent. he came into the team at the end of last year due to a bunch of other injuries and so that he could get some game time. u cant possibly expect him to be outstanding straight away after a long injury.
    No, that's my point, give him a good stint getting his injury/confidence/consistency right but do it in the reserves, not the seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    Did anyone see Kieren out at the game? I saw Goodes and Tippo in the room's during the game, but did he even make it to the ground?
    He was there.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

worst loss in modern history..would hate to be in the rooms and at training this week......rubbish effort but credit where credits due they were too good the little pest is getting bigger
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

I really think it was 20% GWS getting better ... 80% them playing their ass off against us in a desperate attempt to be relevant.

Suspended by the MRP
    In - K.Jack, Tippett
    Out - Liadler, ROK

Go tall in forward line - Tippett, Franklin, Reid

Tall in Backline - Grundy, Richards, LRT

Ruck Options 60% Pyke, 20% Tippett, 20% LRT

Keep the speed - Rohan, Jetta, Cunningham ( Sub) Shaw, Mglynn

Improved midfield effort from Kennedy, Jack, Mcviegh, Hannas, Bird, Mitchell and Parker!

With a general team-wide mediocre performance it's hard to single out particular players for omission next game. Many of the under-performers came from our top players that just seemed off the mark on the day. I think we just need to go back to the selected team for game 1, meaning KJ comes in for ROK, and hit the restart button.

I would keep both Laidler and Rampe in the side. I thought both were among our better players on the day and both may well become fixtures in our defence for some time to come.

Hard to say what to do about Tippett and LRT as both are under an injury cloud at the moment, and I suppose we will play the one that is the fittest, or if both are out then ROK to come in as the sub.

I think we will struggle in the Ruck until Tippett comes back and Pyke builds his fitness from an interrupted pre-season. I think we can sneak by in round 2 with Pyke as the only ruck option and hope that Tippett is available for round 3. Unfortunately, our 3 ruckmen that didn't play will be there for emergency only if Pyke is injured. Hopefully Nanny and Naismith come on quickly in the ressies.

Suspended by the MRP
    Further to my comments

- Isolate Sam Reid on Maxwell. He will destroy Maxwell who was Beaten by Morton las year!

Garry Rohan will tag Labamba and take him out of the play. Rohan to aim for 2 kicks, 2 goals and beat Lamamba.

The talk forward line will also keep Ben Reid away from their forward line!

LRT to follow Jesse White into the ruck and into attack!

Warming the Bench
    According to Jason Ball on ABC radio on Saturday we won't see Tippett till round 4 at best.
    He also said that Longmire thinks he is a better ruckman than forward.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I think we need to bite the bullet on the ruck position and include one of the three who didn't play firsts on Saturday. It is simply unrealistic to imagine Pyke can ruck a whole game with help from the likes of LRT, who is no longer useful in that position. He can still be a useful defender but may not be ready anyway. Against a less experienced, although certainly talented, ruck like B Grundy I'd think about Naismith but probably go with Derickx; why else did we draft him in the first place? I'm assuming that Tippett won't be ready; if he is, he shares ruck.
    Rohan needs to play, and in the firsts; I suspect that if he'd kicked that second goal there wouldn't be much talk about dropping him. And he is usually a good kick for goal.
    Kieren comes in for ROK. Bird and Hannebery to take turns through the midfield and forward. I asked elsewhere, but did anyone see who was tagging Hanners on Saturday? Either they really did a job on him or he needs a dose of salts.
    I don't think I'd change too much else, better to work on the structures. And the intensity.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Veterans List
    Other than injury forced changes or a recovery by a best 22 player, I reckon they will go with the same line up to give those players an opportunity to redeem themselves.

What a great opportunity for a ressies player to put pressure on the seniors but by all accounts no one in the ressies gave a whimper either so that strengthens my belief that it will be an unchanged team if all are fit.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast