Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manly Wolves Now in Giants Clothing

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Tim your sources are wrong.
    Yes, Tim's sources are incorrect. It's amazing how often SHeagles people get it wrong. I've had a few lately from that side of town. Not sure if they just like lying or enjoy making things up.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Footy Barista View Post
    Tim I have a known source inside the manly camp that assures me that gws approached the wolves in order to create a supporter base on the northern beaches and also to utilise manly beach as a recovery spot opposed to bumping into the swans at coggee I guarantee you there would be no reason for manly to approach them given the season they had last year as a club .... It's a total neglect of the wests club which is wrong but I do know that manly were approached not the other way around
    hahaha. So your trying to make me believe that GWS approached Manly Wolves AFC so that they could use Manly beach? Do they not know that they should have approached the Sea Eagles as well just to run it past them that it was ok to use the public beach.

I'm extremely confident in my source. But so are you so we will agree to disagree.

Regardless, good luck to both Manly & the Giants. Hopefully it works out to be a positive partnership

It's a fact that the Giants are in damage control over this. They're probably leaking that Manly approached them to their muppets, which they didn't, but it makes it sound a little bit more respectable, which it isn't.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    hahaha. So your trying to make me believe that GWS approached Manly Wolves AFC so that they could use Manly beach? Do they not know that they should have approached the Sea Eagles as well just to run it past them that it was ok to use the public beach.

I'm extremely confident in my source. But so are you so we will agree to disagree.

Regardless, good luck to both Manly & the Giants. Hopefully it works out to be a positive partnership

Agree to disagree Tim we will as my source is involved on the board at manly .... They want a supporter base on the beaches and see this as the approach in doing so ... The partnership is to get the giants name in an area outside of the west .... If manly approached gws do you think they would still keep there colours ? As I'm sure if it was on 100 percent gws terms they would want the orange present amongst the beaches

It wasn't really kept a secret last Wednesday around the sammiches at HQ. Manly's representative, who is well known around the traps, told myself and a few others that GWS approached them. I asked him again and he confirmed that manly were indeed approached.

article was wrong too, many will play in their colours...

Quote Originally Posted by MrTaxman View Post
    It probably it is no surprise that I have been as vocal as anyone against the decision & have revolted probably harder than anyone with revoking my sponsorship from the club. Consequently I have had some communication with the CEO today & whilst I still disagree with their decision, I can appreciate a bit more how it arose. For those that can remember, the deal is something akin to the North Shore/Orange/3 deal a decade or so ago where the third party is affiliated with the Northern Beaches region. If GWS didn't swoop, the money would have gone to other sports or kept in fat cat pockets. For the sake of 2-3 appearances & a set of jumpers the return on investment formula looks attractive. What I guess they were deficient in was having any idea what the outrage that such a deal would cause amongst clubland. To that end, I have attempted to reconcile GWS with its spiritual home today & help with the peace smoking process (for one they have Tara's phone number & email address), including providing some valuable tips in how to approach the market. It probably is fair to say that the Swans have clearly been deficient in serving the Northern Beaches market (and deserve a fair bit of flak as well), just as much as the Giants may have neglected Western Sydney. I have told the CEO that I am willing to buy him some more time but we all want to see some more results in ensuing months. Ultimately if they get it right, all will benefit. Whilst I personally am doubtful that they are going to come through with the goods, I think the potential upside deserves that they get one more chance to prove me wrong. After all, Steve Smith did in the cricket.
    Well we can all rest easy now that MrTaxman has taken this up at board level and resolved this on our behalf. Peace in our time due to his amazing arbitration skills. Perhaps one of the more self important posts ever seen on this board.

This is a dumb decision by Manly.

As for the impact on the Bogans, NO-ONE cares!!!! they are a club with no supporters and no soul, they are a TV club that no-one asked for and no-one will miss when they move down tro Canberra in 3-4 years...

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Well we can all rest easy now that MrTaxman has taken this up at board level and resolved this on our behalf. Peace in our time due to his amazing arbitration skills. Perhaps one of the more self important posts ever seen on this board.

This is a dumb decision by Manly.

As for the impact on the Bogans, NO-ONE cares!!!! they are a club with no supporters and no soul, they are a TV club that no-one asked for and no-one will miss when they move down tro Canberra in 3-4 years...
    I must be one of the "No-Ones" you refer to - around 12000 other "No-Ones" signed up as well...... Might be a few less after this debacle sadly though..... GWS going no where, its the other Mob that are more likely to go bust when Buddy blows that knee out shortly .....
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Quote Originally Posted by cartman48 View Post
    I must be one of the "No-Ones" you refer to - around 12000 other "No-Ones" signed up as well...... Might be a few less after this debacle sadly though..... GWS going no where, its the other Mob that are more likely to go bust when Buddy blows that knee out shortly .....
    10,000*

Aren't over half from ACT and melbourne?

At least they were good enough to "ask" this time ... Not like the rape and pillage of Bankstown ... and that's working out well I see, bringing all of the promised benefits to the kids in the largest Local Government area in Sydney! ... if you go to the AFL website, and you live in Padstow, Revesby or Panania, and you want to sign up for Auskick, they direct you to a 1 hour afternoon clinic on Tuesdays at the local school!

Kelso gets one of it's limited AFL gigs this weekend I notice, but no kids will play there in the foreseeable future, and as for selling GWS Memberships there .

The NRL, soccer and Rugby must be rubbing their hands together down Brookvale way right now ...

This thread has obviously has been one of the most popular in a number of years, but I have to say why so many hateful and negative comments. My views / comments are

1. Stupid decision by Manly. But as in the movie ?Indecent Proposal? everyone has a price. I just hope their price was high enough to be bent over and lose the respect of so many other Sydney AFL clubs
    2. Not a Bad decision by GWS to expand their supporter base ? maybe in a couple of years they will become Sydney Giants. We have a lot of West Coast Eagles supporters in Sydney. Don?t get hung up on geography.
    3. Why the ?hate? for GWS? If you are on this thread you must love AFL, so how lucky are we to have 2 AFL teams in Sydney ? that is a local game of AFL every week ? the same as Adelaide and Perth!
    4. Who cares how many members GWS has? Why is it an issue for people in Sydney, maybe the southern states; we benefit.
    5. I see no benefit for a team in Canberra (not enough people) or while I am at it Tassie (they are more mad about AFL than Victorians so no real benefit).
    6. Don?t blame GWS or even the Swans for game development. That?s the NSW AFL or AFL headquarters role.
    7. Finally, I agree with the comment that what were the AFL thinking with the Colours Orange and Charcoal.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    10,000*

Aren't over half from ACT and melbourne?
    10000 Swans members are old South Melbourne fans? Why does it matter where they live? And 10721 at last count.... (12000+ last year)
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast