Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Manly Wolves Now in Giants Clothing

Almost Football Legend

Manly Wolves Now in Giants Clothing

This is an interesting one - Manly are changing their identity, and becoming the Giants.

It's a bold move, especially after they had so much success last season as the Wolves. To change their branding during the club's golden era is certainly a courageous move.
    In the early 2000s, we saw several clubs form alliances with AFL clubs, many changing their colours and names. Most ended up changing back within a few years. Even here in Sydney, tradition is important to plenty of footy people.
    And when zoning was re-introduced, there was nothing in it for the AFL clubs to keep the alliances going with no prospect of recruiting players from those clubs. Manly are zoned to the Swans, so GWS won't get any players from them even if they're called Giants.

Looking at the GWS Facebook page, it's caused a bit of angst among GWS fans. But any team can wear orange and call themselves Giants, they don't need GWS's permission to do it.
    It's a nice photo op for the Manly club.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Warming the Bench
    The Greater Western Sydney geographical area seems to have grown somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    remember when sheeds went to prague to sell the gws brand or some crap?

what a joke. don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norris Lurker View Post
    But any team can wear orange and call themselves Giants, they don't need GWS's permission to do it.
    I think the way that the media release was written using terms such as "partnership" that it is a lot more than just a team electing to change name & colours. One Manly player on the AFL Sydney FB page indicated that GWS approached them. There is definitely a financial arrangement of some sort & I think that has rightly put the nose out of joint for a number of different stakeholders (from members to sponsors and local clubs right through to government organisations) as it has gone against the club's original charter. Even worse, there are bigger ramifications for a western Sydney club who are oblivious to the fact that they could be without a home ground next year as a result of this announcement showing GWS' "commitment" to the region and by default the competition will also be down a finals venue.

Almost Football Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainsofpain View Post
    It's a bigger land grab than "Battle of the Bridge" lol. It was only a few years ago that people in the Western Suburbs tried to pretend they weren't - now Greater Western Sydney stretches all the way to Tony Abbott's electorate.....

I don't think anyone really knows what "partnership" means; but I have a suspicion we're in Mount Molehill territory. The devil's in the detail - but although they're talking it up now, I can't believe GWS would put too much into a club that's in the Swans' zone. What's in it for GWS?

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Senior Player
    Unfortunately I think that GWS are about to find out what its like to upset the market that they are supposed to represent. More unfortunate is the long term potential to harm the development of the game in western sydney - If what I am hearing is close to the mark there will be major repercussions that will adversely affect the games development in western sydney.

To be honest it smacks of marketing gurus with no knowledge of working at the coalface of their target audience again. Sound Familiar?

Great move by gws.... Out in west syd and get a team on the northern beaches.... Who ever made that call what a muppet. Ctown giants yeah hills giants wouldnt of suprised me ( considering a ex board member)... But manly jes whoever in giants land is trying to win western sydney made a huge call.

This is beyond stupid though and for once I don't think I'll get slated for being too negative...

Manly have been known as the Wolves for nigh on 40 years now, they have generations of players that identify with that name. What possible benefits are there to take on a moniker of a club that has no relevance to Manly whatsoever. I can see no benefit for this change whatsoever, it just defies belief

If I was a current player or past player of the club I'd be furious at whichever muppets decided this.

Of all the name changes in Sydney football, most are pathetic and provide very little benefit. The only one that has really worked was the East Coast Eagles which I think worked largely due to young age of the club at the time and the small link between the two nicknames (Falcons ---> Eagles). I think it was also properly thought through.

North Shore going from Bears to Bombers was here nor there but I don't believe it's generated any great benefits. Dragons to the Crows and Tigers to the Dockers were beyond stupid and Campbelltown becoming the Kanga also failed. Mac Uni going from the Kookaburras to the Warriors also dumb.

Added to the nickname changes are the fact that it usually also involves a jumper change.

Rightly or wrongly the change of a clubs jumper and nickname can seriously alienate a club from its former players which is a very very dangerous move.

Mount Molehill indeed Norris....I tend to agree with you.
    I haven't picked up that the Manly colours are to change (as Mr Taxman suggested) - just a new creature, the Giant, instead of the Wolf.

GWS won't get any young recruits from Manly but they might pick up some supporters - they could have put up a billboard along Pittwater Road with a picture of Callan Ward and Rhys Shaw, but instead, they chose to align with a local team. It's all publicity and profile and winning support.
    Personally, though I live in the Swans catchment area, I'm mighty disenchanted after the Buddy/Tippett thing and mighty excited about the GWS win already, so I'm ripe for the picking to jump on the Giants bandwagon.
    Last edited by justabaraker; 23rd March 2014 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    I haven't picked up that the Manly colours are to change (as Mr Taxman suggested) - just a new creature, the Giant, instead of the Wolf.

GWS won't get any young recruits from Manly but they might pick up some supporters - they could have put up a billboard along Pittwater Road with a picture of Callan Ward and Rhys Shaw, but instead, they chose to align with a local team. It's all publicity and profile and winning support.
    Personally, though I live in the Swans catchment area, I'm mighty disenchanted after the Buddy/Tippett thing and mighty excited about the GWS win already, so I'm ripe for the picking to jump on the Giants bandwagon.
    Dude, what is in your water??

Per the article The Manly Wolves are the latest community club to adopt the GIANTS name and colours so they clearly are changing to that horrible orange mix....

If you believe that people from Manly will travel out to Homebush then you really are living in Cuckoo-Land

You say you live in the Swans catchment area rather than being a swans fan so I assume you are an inter-stater changing your second team allegiance. That's fair enough but I'd be extremely surprised if any real Swans fans shifted allegiances to the Bogans.....

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    This is beyond stupid though and for once I don't think I'll get slated for being too negative...
    Oh bugger...and for a brief second you had me hoping for improvement

agree - I think i got it wrong about the change of colours, and about Heath Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post

GWS won't get any young recruits from Manly but they might pick up some supporters - they could have put up a billboard along Pittwater Road with a picture of Callan Ward and Heath Shaw, but instead, they chose to align with a local team. It's all publicity and profile and winning support.
    Last edited by justabaraker; 23rd March 2014 at 09:17 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast