Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Round 2 2014, @sydneyswans v Magpies

Senior Player
    We looked really unfit - for the second week running, we looked like getting run over from a long way out. We also looked tentative and affected by the media chat. I think Longmire is a little rattled too. We took a massive gamble with Franklin's contract, it's started really poorly and I am not sure they know what to do about it. The Franklin-O'Keefe boxing frolic suggests that. The players just don't look as tight as they have.

Both McVeigh and Jack had poor games.

I don't think Reid should play back - it feels to me like fiddling for the sake of it. We should have picked Laidler for the extra tall back so he didn't have to.

Jetta looked OK, also McGlynn, Parker, Mitchell (although the latter two aren't quick). Another injury to Rohan. Disappointing game by Cunningham, who doesn't play hard. Very, very disappointing - last week was not a mere glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Legs Akimbo View Post
    I think derrikx is a spud and i want mummy back
    As was pointed out by many on RWO & in the media when he was first signed, Detrickx was likely recruited as a BACK UP ruckman for Pyke. Laidler was a BACK UP defender in case a regular defender ... say AJ? ... was injured. Baying for their blood with each loss when they actually played the roles they were recruited for reeks of hostile frustration & seems a fairly pointless waste of energy. Neither were recruited as bonafide stars ... otherwise we wouldn't have got them at bargain basement prices that we did. No point lamenting the loss of Mummy. Players had to go to get Buddy. Not much point whining about him either, coz we've got him (or his legacy at very least) for 9 more years.

Seriously, get over it & get on with supporting our club. As a club we've had tough times ... really tough times ... in the past (early 90s, early & late 80s, most years from the mid 30s to the late 70s). On of the special things about our club was the loyalty of the supporters.
    Sure, don't be happy with the loss. But however much RWOers think they're hurting as fans, the players should (and I believe are) hurting more. They have pride in themselves, their jumper, their club. They will be feeling the pain & embarrassment of these losses. They need our support, not the immediate post loss criticism that is all too often dished out.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Really disappointing performance, poorly coached and way too many passengers. I agree with Bodgie though Derryx contested well and Sammy Reid was a little better. Derryx will probably get a week or two for his hit on Pendlebury.
    I thought the coaching tonight was terrible. We got the ball forward only to find 3-4 Collingwood players and 1 Swan. And then from there it was all on the run back into their forward line .

Shaw and Macveigh had shockers. Turned the ball over too many times. Rohan really struggled and deserved to be benched. We have major problems with fitness as well.

Senior Player
    I was disappointed when we bought Franklin in the manner we did. I felt a little betrayed; lost a tinsy bit of belief. I really hope it works out well; I am looking for signs that it's worth it and the players really want him there. But it's been a bust so far.

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    I fear our season is now over, no team has made the finals in the last ten years when they have lost the first
    2 games
    So what?! We made a grand final in '96 after losing the opening two rounds ... and by a bigger combined margin than we just did against GW$ & Colling-crap. In fact, we also lost the first two of '06 & made that grand final too ... and I think the latter defies you 10 year claim.

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    no team has made the finals in the last ten years when they have lost the first
    2 games
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    Is that true?
    Nope
    Last edited by goswannies; 30th March 2014 at 12:08 AM.

Having no-one to kick to up forward when we got possession was very much back to the future

What the hell are all you peeps thinking. Shaw was amazing again tonight. Leading the possessions as per usual. Yes he made mistakes in 4th quarter only. But is expected to happen when your carrying the whole entire team because nobody else on the team is doing any work.

Garry Rohan was fabulous. Should never have been subbed out.

Seriously read the game properly.

Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    Having no-one to kick to up forward when we got possession was very much back to the future
    I wish I could understand why you would leave 3 defenders loose in our forward line and then when we get possession kick the ball straight to them.

Is that a modern coaching technique that is obvious only to selected few people ???

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly View Post
    I was disappointed when we bought Franklin in the manner we did. I felt a little betrayed; lost a tinsy bit of belief. I really hope it works out well; I am looking for signs that it's worth it and the players really want him there. But it's been a bust so far.
    Buddy gave us something tonight. If he had nailed that snap from the pocket in the 3rd quarter, the game would have changed. It's worth noting that the Swans half backs and midfielders don't have the class by foot as their Hawk counterparts, meaning that the delivery to Buddy's is not as good. He will therefore kick less goals.

His three goals so far have been class and he has revived no easy ones so far. I would like to see him chase with the intensity of a Garry Rohan, but that will come as his fitness improves.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Crowd of approx 32,000 - terrible turnout. Would have gotten more at our home ground. The sooner we are rid of playing the Pies out there the better. So sick of watching us mess things up out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    So what?! We made a grand final in '96 after losing the opening two rounds ... and by a bigger combined margin than we just did against GW$ & Colling-crap. In fact, we also lost the first two of '06 & made that grand final too ... and I think the latter defies you 10 year claim.
    Nope
    That'll teach me to believe the media

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Shaw View Post
    Garry Rohan was fabulous. Should never have been subbed out.
    Reportedly discomfort in his fractured leg. It's common to get discomfort from severe fractures for many years ... even a lifetime. & that's with every day activities ... let alone elite AFL football, especially when your strength is your leg speed. Take a look at Richmond's Nathan Brown's career after his fracture. Sure he played, but wasn't the same & was in pain. It's amazing Ranga has even got back, I would seriously doubt that he is near his pre-injury best in terms of fitness, speed or pain levels.

That's really sad to hear. He is just so talented.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast