Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Maybe play the Pies at the SCG...

Senior Player
    [QUOTE=jono2707;636161]Here's the response I got today to my terse email to the Swans about our ongoing requirement to play games away from our home ground to satisfy the AFL's contact with the Stadium:

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that the current contract between the AFL and ANZ Stadium expires at the end of the 2016 season.

Should they wish to resign, is something you will need to discuss with the AFL. As the club does not determine the location, times or dates of our games, this is solely determined by the AFL

What the club doesn't determine where home games are played, so how come Adelaide teams only play their home games at one ground, as well as other non Victorian clubs. Sounds like a crock of rubbish to me. The swans must be getting extra dollars for playing there.

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    What the club doesn't determine where home games are played, so how come Adelaide teams only play their home games at one ground, as well as other non Victorian clubs. Sounds like a crock of rubbish to me. The swans must be getting extra dollars for playing there.
    Regardless of who, how and why it'll be up to club members and fans who appreciate what an atmosphere killer that stadium is to stop any contract extension when and if the time comes. Could be as simple as starting a letter writing campaign in the time being...

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    SCG is still developing with plans to build new replacement stands at the existing Churchill and O'Reilly Stands. The Swans are especially keen about the former development, with the expansion of administrative quarters planned at the back of the new Grandstand. I understand that by 2020, there will be a tram service from the city to Moore Park, a glass retractable roof for the next door Football Stadium, and capacities of about 53,000 for the SCG and 50,000 for the SFS.
    Retractable glass roof for the SFS... sheesh I wish they were doing that for the SCG as well...

I don't know anyone from any code that likes going to watch football at that ground.
    I share many of the sentiments from above but what annoys me the most is the outrageous prices you have to pay for crap food and drink.
    In my opinion the MCG is the best is Aust for food and drink options and value for money.

Warming the Bench
    If 4000 people turned up to an ANZ match the AFL would start listening...

It was built on a swamp? Hasnt really changed much then...

Quote Originally Posted by Pmcc2911 View Post
    In my opinion the MCG is the best is Aust for food and drink options and value for money.
    You need to get to Spotless/Giants/Skoda/RAS Stadium....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I did a public tour of the SCG today and highly recommend it if you haven't had the chance to go 'behind the scenes' before. It covered the press room where media conferences are held, the Allianz Stadium, ground and change rooms, walk along the Lap of Honour to the SCG Members Pavilion, including the Members Bar, the dressing rooms used by the home and away cricket teams and a walk out on the oval itself. I had hoped we would go to the Swans' change rooms but sadly not. Nor were the new stands included because work is still going on there - but the guide said they would be included in tours once everything was completed. The tour finished in the SCG Museum which has some wonderful historic memorabilia including Steve Waugh's pink hanky (which turns out to be a scrap cut off a pink towel, not a hanky at all!) I learned various bits of fascinating trivia and as there were only four people on the tour I was able to ask the guide quite a few questions.

Cost $30 see http://www.sydneycricketground.com.a.../public-tours/

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Do we all dislike ANZ because of the time it takes to travel by train? Are we demonstrating that the Swans are really a Bondi/Paddington/Coogee/Randwick based Football Club?

Stadium Australia was positioned at the geographical centre of Sydney, so that more Sydneysiders can enjoy sport!
    That's the perception , isn't it ? I've been beach-bumming in the Eastern Suburbs for two weeks. I've seen plenty of people in Swans caps and never miss a chance to talk with them. Most of them did not go to the game at ANZ.

It's fine for big finals games - except that one a few years ago v North when we had about 17k all in one part of the ground !
    But the afterglow of the novelty of playing at the Olympic Stadium has long one.
    Whether or not we continue playing there will be dictated by one factor alone : commercial reality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123