Thread: New bloods

New bloods

Well, it's been an interesting start to the year..

I'd just like to point out someone who doesn't get attention for his efforts (I think anyway)
    Sam Reid!

I think he did a brilliant job against the pies, he may of been quiet at times but he is getting use to a new role.
    He was good in defence but in the end so was Richards (except for that stupid fumble) and Grundy.
    Longmire, I think was to worried about Cloke, so he sent Reid back.

But the truth is, Cloke only kicked 2 goals (right?) when Reid was forward I think the other backs did a good job of cutting in front of Cloke.

The thing we missed was that contested mark in the forward line, Buddy played alright but he is not known for his contested marks.
    Reid took a couple of good ones, could've had 3 goals, that will come with a bit more confidence.

But what if he stayed in the forward line?
    He could've had more shots.
    Yes, he could've kicked 1.6 but would you rather him making a contest, taking marks and missing rather than kicking it straight to the drop kick Maxwell?
    It would've taken up more time and created less opportunities for Collingwood to rebound.

My opinion is -
    Reid in the forward line pretty much always, especially when we need targets.

If LRT isn't fit, Dean Towers looks like a good fit.
    Everett type player, can kick it long, can run, can kick a goal and certainly he can go as the third man up.

I'd also like to see Zak Jones get a game, but I haven't heard much about him?

All in all, I think Reid is underestimated and if all our talls are fit and on the field (Reid, Goodes, buddy, Tippet and Rohan)
    I wouldn't put it past Reid to go under the radar and over people's heads and be our leading goal scorer.

Mainly purely because of the attention the others would be getting.

Opinions?

Senior Player
    I do think Reid has looked good so far this year and yes if all the above mentioned forwards are in the lineup then I expect reid would be underestimated by the opposition.

Would prefer Sambo stays up forward until such time as when KT and Goodesy are back. He needs to help Buddy out in the forward line in my humble opinion.

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    You've touched on the oddest part of the coaching the other night and I'm not usually one to bag the coaches as I figure they know more than me

But our most dangerous looking forward on the night Reid was moved back when their forwards were doing no real damage.

Odd

Quote Originally Posted by i'm-uninformed2 View Post
    You've touched on the oddest part of the coaching the other night and I'm not usually one to bag the coaches as I figure they know more than me

But our most dangerous looking forward on the night Reid was moved back when their forwards were doing no real damage.

Odd
    We were lucky they did not kick straight otherwise there would have been real damage - 10 more shots it could have been a lot worse so maybe he should have stayed forward !!

I can't understand either why they sent Sam back.... especially as it left us with basically only 1 target up forward and that was it. Made defending seem like child's play for Collingwood.

Surely he should stay up front until Tippett comes back?
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    I can't understand either why they sent Sam back.... especially as it left us with basically only 1 target up forward and that was it. Made defending seem like child's play for Collingwood.

Surely he should stay up front until Tippett comes back?
    Without Laidler, the responsibility for dropping off and filling holes and playing the loose man seems to fall mostly to Mal. It's just too much for him to handle. He's got to do the kick-ins, play loose man and provide rebound out of defence. With Reid dropping back, Mal is freed up a bit to provide more for offensive rebound. Shaw having a bummer didn't help either. As I see it, the game was most likely lost at the selection table, although there were a lot more problems than just this one.