Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Longmire's Coaching

I agree with much of Melbournehammer's post above, but two comments particularly:

1. "but the game plan has basically become so defensive that kicking a score is a problem. The port game last year has been replayed time and time and time again. we cant clear the ball and despite determined dogged resistance we simply cant kick a winning score."

And note that the Port game is the one in which we lost Goodes - who hasn't played since.

2. And also: "we wont change the game style unless panicked, but we should be giving panic a bit of a thought at the moment"

Even more so if we lose to the Crows!

While a couple of wins would have been excellent. As long as we defeat Collingwood in September I will remain a happy man.

We can't be predictable in March. Our style will have to change to meet the needs of what other clubs are doing.

Hope we can get a few wins behind us by round 6 3 wins and 3 losses will do!

Rod_

I don't think Collingwood will be participating in September. That's the concern for me, losing two very winnable games. You don't want to be playing your best footy at this stage but you need to be banking wins.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Which coach said this after weekend's matches?

"You could see the hesitation, even when we got out in space there was just no one to kick it to, so certainly that is having a huge bearing on your ability to score. It probably doesn?t have that big an impact on your ability to do basic things. That is my job Monday to separate those two components, the fact that we don?t have a forward line ? what does that mean from a ball movement point of view.??

Veteran Site Admin
    Roos?

Got it in one Liz! Ironic isn't it?

We have a Plan A and that seems to be it.

You can only assume they did consider all the moves that seemed so obvious to everyone else - the only explanation I can come up with for why they didn't is they were more concerned at the alternative.

Conceding them free defenders meant we had an extra in our own defence plus extras around the ball. You could see the end result coming all second half, but for whatever reason we decided we couldn't match them in the midfield or defence so had to keep our advantage in those areas, and just hope somehow we could steal a few goals against the run of play.

Regardless the fade outs are a major concern, and you don't get fitter once the season has already started.

Agree this is the real test for Longmire and the rest of the coaches.

Dan Lonergan on ABC Grandstand TV this evening:

"I'm concerned about the Swans. They don't seem to be fit".

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post

Yes Interesting ...

Goes up to 11

I think he's spot on - we don't have enough run at the moment. We currently lack the fitness to give that real run and spread that has served us so well the last few years. Hopefully we get it back soon - everything else should fall into place then.

Our fitness looks awful. Its going to be very hard to improve fitness now the season has started without it impacting on performance levels.

Veterans List
    Got it in one Liz! Ironic isn't it?
    They had Pedersen and Fitzpatrick as their key forwards - we had Reid and Franklyn!!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast