Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Longmire's Coaching

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    They had Pedersen and Fitzpatrick as their key forwards - we had Reid and Franklyn!!!
    Yep, the Dees definitely had more reasons not to have a forward line. They've tried to go out and recruit some tall forwards but with all of Clark, Hogan and Dawes unavailable, it's a challenge.

The one thing that most puzzles me about Saturday's game is why Reid was in defence for so much of the game.

I'm no fitness expert, but I studied training schedules around 9 years ago at tafe and I recall that fitness comes in peaks and dips.

Meaning... if they're in a dip now, they need to build up to a peak at some point during the season. It's probably impossible to maintain peak fitness for the whole season. The human body simply doesn't work like that.

If we are in a dip in fitness now... it's because Longmire and the training staff have decided that it's unimportant to peak at the first half of the season and rather the second half.

If's hard to imagine that the fitness program hasn't been worked out, or that there are many changes from year to year. They measure the performance levels of the players throughout the training cycle. Players in their mid twenties don't lose fitness year over year unless they have to reduce training loads due to injury.

I think the problem is that we have to work too hard to move the ball forward and score, expending energy that could carry us through the 4th qtr.

When your skills are good, hit targets and move the ball cleanly, you tend to run out the game better.

It comes down to an equation of how much effort is required for a given result.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    I'm no fitness expert, but I studied training schedules around 9 years ago at tafe and I recall that fitness comes in peaks and dips.

Meaning... if they're in a dip now, they need to build up to a peak at some point during the season. It's probably impossible to maintain peak fitness for the whole season. The human body simply doesn't work like that.

If we are in a dip in fitness now... it's because Longmire and the training staff have decided that it's unimportant to peak at the first half of the season and rather the second half.
    What's the point of being fit in the second half if they don't win many games in the first half?

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    What's the point of being fit in the second half if they don't win many games in the first half?
    Maybe they were hoping to concede games to stronger teams and ease past in the easier teams in the first half? Dunno... maybe ask Horse.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Seems a bit pointless to be fit in September if your not going to be playing football in September, which at this rate we won't be!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post

The one thing that most puzzles me about Saturday's game is why Reid was in defence for so much of the game.
    It's because we decided to play ROK and dropped Laidler. They had 3 tall forwards in Cloke, White and Goldsack, who probably would have been Laidler's man.

I defended the coaching staff on this selection even though I thought it was a clear mistake at the time, as it was an unusual situation involving one of our better players in recent times, but it did hurt us in the game. I'm sure, in private, they regret the decision.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    It's because we decided to play ROK and dropped Laidler. They had 3 tall forwards in Cloke, White and Goldsack, who probably would have been Laidler's man.

I defended the coaching staff on this selection even though I thought it was a clear mistake at the time, as it was an unusual situation involving one of our better players in recent times, but it did hurt us in the game. I'm sure, in private, they regret the decision.
    So who were Rampe, McVeigh, Malceski playing on? Any of those three is tall enough / good enough to cover Goldsack. Given we had Shaw and Smith playing almost exclusively in defence, McVeigh playing large chunks down there, as well as Reg and Ted, that seems like plenty enough defenders such that you don't need to sacrifice one of two effective tall forwards. It wasn't like we were getting smashed around the ground for the first three quarters. Indeed, the Swans were clearly the less awful of the two sides until close to 3/4 time. It's just that our forays forward came to zilch because we had no forward line worthy of the description.

Just saying that for whatever reason Horse had for playing Reid in defence would have been obviated by playing Laidler instead of ROK, as it seems Horse wanted another tall defender instead of manning up across the ground, something that has been roundly criticised.

What a bizarre start to the season. Going in, everyone was saying we had too many talls and couldn't play them all, while the reality has been that we don't have enough, aided and abetted by the coaching staff.

On the Rookie List
    I have never been more confused with what is going on at the Swans.Is someone pushing the self destruct button? Despite having recruited the best forward player in the AFL at a huge price,we don't have a forward line.We have a proven and well set backline so we play a key forward there just to confuse us all? Is Horse trying "not to lose"
    rather than trying to win?Collingwood were so pathetic in the first 3 quarters a good Swans side could have destroyed them by 3/4 time.Can someone pass on the message that you win by kicking more goals than your opponents and other sides are awake to "slingshot" and "shutdown" strategies. They seem fitter too! What's going on?

What are you two up to over there?

Blog Entries
    We started off the season very slow last year.
    We finished last season one week earlier than we did the previous year.
    We were lucky to have some soft opponents in the beginning of the season and got over the line by playing ordinary footy.
    Our fitness seems to improves during the year. No one wants to be in peak condition or form in March.

The Giants have improved dramatically, recruited well, and were very fresh and raring to go.
    The pies were very ordinary, and only through our own ineptitude failed to put them away. Take away Pendlebury and it would have been a different story.

I don't see our form too different from same time last year.

Franklin is still fitting in. All the practice matches in the world will not make the team gel around him.
    They need real games to find there feet.
    You could see him around the stoppages, running hard to get the tap.
    Unfortunately none of them came off (He's no ND).
    But he was in there trying.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast