Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 52

Thread: Longmire's Coaching

  1. #1

    Longmire's Coaching

    I have serious doubts about Longmire's gameplan and coaching and the way it works against good sides. Last night was a perfect example of this gameplan which can easily come unstuck if the opposition coach has any sort of tactical nous. We try to play this "counter attacking" style of footy, however when we run forward of the ball we rarely have any targets in the forward line. Why didn't he move Buddy to the goal square? Or Reid? Buddy and Reid out of the goal square would have kicked 10 against Frost or Brown. Who was on Pendlebury all game? Why was ROK playing as a forward when he's inside midfielder. He offers nothing up forward anymore. His too slow, has no defensive accountability. Put him in guts FFS. He won a bloody norm smith there. I know we won a premiership under Horse, but sides have figured out how to counteract our "slingshot" style of footy. We have to bounce back against Adelaide next week or there will be some serious heat at the club.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.


    2012 Bloods Premiers.

  2. #2
    Veteran Site Admin
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    12,732
    I do think we are going to find out more about Longmire the coach in the next few months than we have in the last few years. Coaching must seem relatively easy when things are going well. You learn far more when things aren't.

    One thing that Hawthorn has done particularly well during the Clarkson reign is continuously reinvent itself, tweak its gameplan. You can also see Lyon evolving his style. Clearly the cattle a coach has at his beck and call is pretty important, but we do have plenty of good players. Can Longmire fashion something new out of what he has available?
    Last edited by liz; 31st March 2014 at 12:25 AM. Reason: typo

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I do think we are going to find out more about Longmire the coach in the next few months than we have in the last few years. Coaching must seem relatively easy when things are going well. You learn far more when things aren't.

    One thing that Hawthorn has done particularly well during the Clarkson reign is continuous reinvent itself, tweak its gameplan. You can also see Lyon evolving his style. Clearly the cattle a coach has at his beck and call is pretty important, but we do have plenty of good players. Can Longmire fashion something new out of what he has available?
    Exactly. Hence why Clarko and Lyon are such brilliant coaches. Longmire has tweaked absolutely nothing over the pre season. We still play this slingshot style which is easily unstuck if players aren't running or working hard enough. Hinkley, Clarko and Lyon all play terrific gameplans. I have serious doubts on Horses.
    LRT. Lord Roberts-Thompson. He may look like the Munster, but looks can be deceiving.


    2012 Bloods Premiers.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I do think we are going to find out more about Longmire the coach in the next few months than we have in the last few years. Coaching must seem relatively easy when things are going well. You learn far more when things aren't.

    One thing that Hawthorn has done particularly well during the Clarkson reign is continuous reinvent itself, tweak its gameplan. You can also see Lyon evolving his style. Clearly the cattle a coach has at his beck and call is pretty important, but we do have plenty of good players. Can Longmire fashion something new out of what he has available?
    Hi Liz,

    As someone who admitted to leaving early last week, what was your reaction to this week's performance ?

    On topic - I think we have not changed our thinking at all since 2012, although i think we have brought greater speed into the side i suspect so that we could get to the fall of the ball more often when it has been bombed long.

    I think his coaching has been hamstrung by his drafting. The hawks have continually recruited really great kickers and over and over they hit targets unless there is fantastic pressure on the ball - we basically have not recruited any great kickers - arguably jetta is very good but is still inconsistent but we have tended to emphasise hardness. Our game plan has been the same since 2003 - make it a really hard contest and attack when we have the ball but make it hard to score against.

    we are still reasonably hard to score against. but our attack has been appalling. and i do think this is because our half back line and on ballers simply can't break lines any more - which is the bizarre thing - we seem to have decided to play more pace but it is mostly in front of the ball, where historically it has been behind the ball. what horse would now give for a young tadgh kennelly or even an oldish robert murphy to change things from behind the ball.

    the question for horse really is how long he persists with the current structure and playing positions. watching his press conference where he seemed to be banging his pen in an air of quiet desperation i think he is wrestling with that question

  5. #5
    I am glad we have just extended his contract

  6. #6
    pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Northcote
    Posts
    6,244
    Longmire's response:

    Longmire up for the fight - sydneyswans.com.au

    "some polish issues " - no point blaming the poles, it's not their fault, but there's some logs that need looking at
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

  7. #7
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Longmire's response:

    Longmire up for the fight - sydneyswans.com.au

    "some polish issues " - no point blaming the poles, it's not their fault, but there's some logs that need looking at
    Ah, so all will be solved if the players have shiny boots?

  8. #8
    Agree we should have left buddy deep forward and manned up on Maxwell, why did they let Maxwell dominate in our fwd 50 for so long?? ROK is slow Bird is slow once Rohan came off we lost energy in our fwd 50 ROK had no impact. I don't see how we can play Bird and ROK in same 22 - what happened in a week? did ROK who the week before was too slow suddenly find a few extra yards of pace or who was the ideal match up in the Collingwood MF for him??. The choice of bird as a sub was a shocker towers would have at least given us some run, why have a run with player as a sub??

    Longmire needs to watch this one again he was smashed tactically by Buckley and it started Thursday night at selection. The sky hasn't fallen in just dropped a few inches.

    Cheers

    waz

  9. #9
    Veterans List Ludwig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Chiang Rai
    Posts
    5,186
    We were always going to give ROK a game sometime. It was probably a collective decision, not just Longmire's. It wasn't a bad time to give it a try since Collingwood are not a fast team and our foward line lacked experience.

    Agree with Liz' comment that this is the year that the Horse will be tested as a coach. Time will tell.

  10. #10
    Go Swannies! Site Admin Meg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    In the Brewongle
    Posts
    2,936
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Agree with Liz' comment that this is the year that the Horse will be tested as a coach. Time will tell.
    Also agree. And the changes need to start to be seen next Saturday.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by swanspant12 View Post
    I have serious doubts about Longmire's gameplan and coaching and the way it works against good sides. Last night was a perfect example of this gameplan which can easily come unstuck if the opposition coach has any sort of tactical nous. We try to play this "counter attacking" style of footy, however when we run forward of the ball we rarely have any targets in the forward line. Why didn't he move Buddy to the goal square? Or Reid? Buddy and Reid out of the goal square would have kicked 10 against Frost or Brown. Who was on Pendlebury all game? Why was ROK playing as a forward when he's inside midfielder. He offers nothing up forward anymore. His too slow, has no defensive accountability. Put him in guts FFS. He won a bloody norm smith there. I know we won a premiership under Horse, but sides have figured out how to counteract our "slingshot" style of footy. We have to bounce back against Adelaide next week or there will be some serious heat at the club.
    Spot on, Bird was our sub, he should started from the first bounce and wore Pendlebury like a glove. Cunningham looks promising, but isnt cutting the mustard. Shaw was deplorable, he must be on shaky ground. Why did Horse allow Maxwell to play loose man for so bloody long, when he should have sent Reid forward. Buckley easily out coached him hands down......

  12. #12
    Travelling Swannie!! mcs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    4,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake View Post
    Spot on, Bird was our sub, he should started from the first bounce and wore Pendlebury like a glove. Cunningham looks promising, but isnt cutting the mustard. Shaw was deplorable, he must be on shaky ground. Why did Horse allow Maxwell to play loose man for so bloody long, when he should have sent Reid forward. Buckley easily out coached him hands down......
    I completely fail to see why we played Bird as the sub. It is a role that does not suit him at all. But on a night like Saturday, Bird should of been one of the first names down on the list in order, as you say, to deal with Pendlebury. Cunningham maybe for the Sub vest -> he certainly is struggling to make an impact, but so is Rohan.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO