Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Round 2: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    It's hard not to notice Jones' hardness at the ball. Played mainly off half back. Kicking was dodgy - kicked one straight to a Giant for a goal and also messed up a three on one. Hope it's just an aberration and not the norm. Also clumsily collected Lobb in the head with the elbow while the giant ruckman was on his knees and may be suspended for that.
    Having watched the precision of the top teams we really need to sharpen up so I'm hoping Jones isn't another first round bust as Towers is looking like yet another one! Saving grace for he 2013 draft may again be a second rounder in Hewett!

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Having watched the precision of the top teams we really need to sharpen up so I'm hoping Jones isn't another first round bust as Towers is looking like yet another one! Saving grace for he 2013 draft may again be a second rounder in Hewett!
    Wow calling Jones a bit early there - he came as a very highly regarded player and as far as I understand he was seen by most as a first rounder. Known more as a hard-nut in and under mid and not so much for silky smooth skills - obviously something he needs to put some work in on.

Towers, on the other hand, was seen by most as a surprise first round selection and as yet we aren't looking super-clever on that one. Happy to give it more time though.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Wow calling Jones a bit early there - he came as a very highly regarded player and as far as I understand he was seen by most as a first rounder. Known more as a hard-nut in and under mid and not so much for silky smooth skills - obviously something he needs to put some work in on.

Towers, on the other hand, was seen by most as a surprise first round selection and as yet we aren't looking super-clever on that one. Happy to give it more time though.
    Interesting. Towers had a quiet game yes but last week everyone was calling for him to be played in the seniors. This week he's no good. We are fickle hey

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Reserves fall to UWS in thriller

They haven't put up a 'best' list (yet)

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    They haven't put up a 'best' list (yet)
    and when they do it will contain names that our ressie watchers didn't rate in their "best"!

I haven't been looking, but has anyone noticed whether the names that appear in the ressies best one week are the senior emergencies for the following week?

For those interested in seeing a replay of the game on the YouTube the URL is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYli...04l1Pkc23LDxHQ

It was the sort of game where it was hard to for anyone to shine. There were lots of poor disposal and turnovers on both sides. There weren't too many good clean passages of play.

A few comments:

I'll start with my only negative comment. I thought Allir had a sloppy mistake-ridden game. He fumbled the ball, dropped marks and made poor decisions.

It was difficult game for the forwards, as the ball rarely came in cleanly. Membrey looks slimmer than last year and moves quite well. He did a few good things. Towers didn't get much of the ball and was a bit unlucky with a few decisions, but also did a few nice things.

Dick and Lockyer both had solid games.

Biggs is very composed and looks good enough to come into the senior side, as he did last year, and play decent footy. He's a good kick of the ball.

Jake Lloyd is the other one that seems ready for senior footy. I though he was BOG for us. He's a leader on the field, has great vision and makes good decisions.

Of the new guys:

I was very impressed with Paddy Mitchell. He's quick and very athletic, and competes well in the ruck. If he can learn the game, he looks to have the physical attributes to succeed.

George Hewitt looks a star in the making. He played a great game for such a young player. I'm looking forward to his development this season.

Zak Jones made a few mistakes, but overall is quick and aggressive. He plays 100% on instinct. But once he thinks through situations a bit better, he should be a very good player.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    For those interested in seeing a replay of the game on the YouTube the URL is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGYli...04l1Pkc23LDxHQ

It was the sort of game where it was hard to for anyone to shine. There were lots of poor disposal and turnovers on both sides. There weren't too many good clean passages of play.

A few comments:

I'll start with my only negative comment. I thought Allir had a sloppy mistake-ridden game. He fumbled the ball, dropped marks and made poor decisions.

It was difficult game for the forwards, as the ball rarely came in cleanly. Membrey looks slimmer than last year and moves quite well. He did a few good things. Towers didn't get much of the ball and was a bit unlucky with a few decisions, but also did a few nice things.

Dick and Lockyer both had solid games.

Biggs is very composed and looks good enough to come into the senior side, as he did last year, and play decent footy. He's a good kick of the ball.

Jake Lloyd is the other one that seems ready for senior footy. I though he was BOG for us. He's a leader on the field, has great vision and makes good decisions.

Of the new guys:

I was very impressed with Paddy Mitchell. He's quick and very athletic, and competes well in the ruck. If he can learn the game, he looks to have the physical attributes to succeed.

George Hewitt looks a star in the making. He played a great game for such a young player. I'm looking forward to his development this season.

Zak Jones made a few mistakes, but overall is quick and aggressive. He plays 100% on instinct. But once he thinks through situations a bit better, he should be a very good player.
    Ludwig and Ugg, make a prediction for me. What players in the reserves will see senior football this year apart from Tower's, BJ and Biggs?

I'm not hoping for injuries to members of the senior team, just interested in your predictions about who you think is ready for senior football, of those who are currently playing in the reserves.

We've got a large number of good players on the rookie list atm. We'll have to make some decisions at year end about them. 3rd year rookie Biggs should be given another go before we decide what to do with him.

I think we should elevate Jake Lloyd and give him a couple of upcoming games against Melbourne and Brisbane. Some players know where the game is going; he's one of them. He always seems to be on top of the situation. I'd put Robinson just a tad behind, but also good.

Perris and Hewitt also show very good signs for the future, but unlikely for this year.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks ugg, Ludwig and other comments. Appreciated.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

-

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    NEAFL TV highlights if you can't watch the whole game. From about 6:10 in

Blog Entries
    Looks like he is wearing Little Benny's spare shorts.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast