Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Round 2: UWS Giants v Sydney Swans Reserves

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think we should elevate Jake Lloyd and give him a couple of upcoming games against Melbourne and Brisbane. Some players know where the game is going; he's one of them. He always seems to be on top of the situation. I'd put Robinson just a tad behind, but also good.
    I have suggested previously that we need to develop a quality tagger as I am not sure we quite have that player that can limit the dangerous players like pendlebury. He had the same number of disposals against geelong but had no influence on the game. Buckley commented that the difference was Guthrie's tagging role. Do you think either of these 2 could step up to that type of role and learn from the best whilst doing it? What sort of midfield roles do they normally play? They strike me as both inside types.

Lloyd and Robinson are the 2 dynamos in the ressies midfield, so they are not really taggers per se. But they do play good defensive footy as well, especially Lloyd, who always seems to be on top of things and adjusts very well to transitions. When we turn the ball over, you tend to find Lloyd down back helping with coverage and rebound out of defense. I previously said that Lloyd reminds me a lot of McVeigh in the way that he plays. He's mentally a very mature footballer. Lloyd is a good tackler, but is still a bit slight to take on some of the more mature AFL bodies.

I get the feeling that Marsh could be that tagger, but he still has a way to go with his footy development, and despite all the reported improvement this year, there's still much do. But he is quick and a good size.

I noticed that Lockyer played more in the midfield this week, and is another possibility for a tagging midfield player. He's got size and good pace.

Zak Jones would be another Ryan Crowley if you let him loose. He's a real terrier. Will be a defender, but not sure in what part of the ground.

All that said, I guess Bird is still our main tagger, and not a bad one at that. McGlynn did a good job on Dangerfield on Saturday and is an excellent tagger. I remember a game when Benny was still with the Hawks and he took Alan Didak to the cleaners, when Didak was at the top of his game. He looks the perfect match for the dangerous Boomer.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    I have suggested previously that we need to develop a quality tagger as I am not sure we quite have that player that can limit the dangerous players like pendlebury. He had the same number of disposals against geelong but had no influence on the game. Buckley commented that the difference was Guthrie's tagging role. Do you think either of these 2 could step up to that type of role and learn from the best whilst doing it? What sort of midfield roles do they normally play? They strike me as both inside types.
    Ressies should be able to do that - their coach was one of the best I've seen in my limited footy-watching career.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Some random thoughts after having watched the replay:

Conditions were difficult, blustery wind and some moisture to contend with.

The sheer physical size of the GWS players was noticeable against our smaller team.

Thought we were a bit stiff to lose given our blown chances at goals in the last quarter.

I was impressed by Hewett in particular but he will need a bit of time to literally grow into the role.A real keeper!

As far as senior debuts I think Lockyer is showing something and has potential for the HBF or even midfield (not big enough for KPP). Dick was a strong defender and is still young, has significant improvement. BJ still has not learnt to lower the eyes. Dean Towers seemed to be snatching defeat from the jaws of victory for most of the match until the end (could not believe him taking a shot from outside the behind post when he took the mark at the goal post), but I think he is on the verge of "clicking". He was on of the better players when the match was up for grabs.

Jones needs to put on some beef and won't be ready until next year. Also showed a bit of immaturity which needs to be addressed by the coaches.

I was impressed by some the toppies, especially Hiscox. Haddin not bad either.

Time to give Lloyd and Robinson a go in the seniors this year. Biggs will earn another try without doubt.

Thought that Aliir Aliir was alright despite the criticism and will improve a lot. We may very well need him in the seniors if we get injuries.
    Last edited by Scottee; 8th April 2014 at 05:10 PM. Reason: typo
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Good to see George Hewitt making an impact already. I was so happy when we called his name out with out second pick. He looked impressive on the video, but didn't realise his numbers were so good for just 70 minutes of footy. Here's the club writeup:

George Hewett

We were able to get more game time into George this week, which saw him play 70 minutes. As soon as he came on the ground in the second quarter, he made an impact by getting his hands on the ball on numerous occasions and moving it forward. He also showed, on several occasions, that he has time and space and terrific awareness in traffic.

Key Stats: 22 disposals, 16 contested possessions, eight clearances one goal.

Maybe with Hewitt now playing as an inside mid, Lloyd can move to wing or HBF. I'd like to see him play the Macca-type defensive role, because he's very good at finding the open man and can wriggle out of difficult situations. An inside mid group of Robinson, Hewitt, Marsh and Lockyer would give us some good size in close.

No mention of X Richards in the ressie report, so hopefully his injury wasn't serious.

Veterans List
    Didn't realise Zak was Nathan's kid brother until a recent article - that's some good pedigree when it comes to tough as nails footy.

Regular in the Side
    why no best on NEAFL site (usually 6 5 etc) Nothing also on swans sit. Is someone prepared to give the six best. Thanks
    Last edited by lwjoyner; 9th April 2014 at 01:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234