Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Round 4, 2014 v North Melbourne

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    But what has happened to our goal scoring midfield?
    Saw on TV last night that we have won 3 of the past 11 games.
    Doesn't this line up roughly with Kurt playing his 1st game.
    Not blaming Kurt for this but has our game plan changed so drastically now that we have Kurt and Buddy to 'bomb it long' to and we are not handling it well?
    Other teams are now doing what we were doing (greater spread of goal kickers) and we seem to have gone backwards to the style of play from a few years ago.

I actually thought Longmires post match analysis was pretty spot on. I dont think at any stage he is blamingjust the players.

One interesting comment I did note which was difficult to discern when not at the game is that he claimed that we werent outnumbered in the forward line after quarter time but we just kept kicking to where there numbers were - this to me is symptomatic of one of two things :
    1. Just looking for franklin when we kick long (where I presume the numbers are ) or
    2. Not looking at all andjust banging it on the boot.

Either way that is the midfield and half backs that are at fault.

I actually thought it was our poor disposal and lack of being first to the ball that killed us often on the weekend. We play a style of game where we allow the opposition to work it up to the forward fifty where in theory we then have them turn it over to allow us to build a counter attack. This style falls apart when we make glaring skill errors that lead to a turnover to the opposition in a very dangerous part of the ground. Often on the weekend we seemed to have a lot of the play only to make such an error and turn it over to almost immediate goals. This is one part of our game that just doesnt work in the wet IMO.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    I actually thought Longmires post match analysis was pretty spot on. I dont think at any stage he is blamingjust the players.

One interesting comment I did note which was difficult to discern when not at the game is that he claimed that we werent outnumbered in the forward line after quarter time but we just kept kicking to where there numbers were - this to me is symptomatic of one of two things :
    1. Just looking for franklin when we kick long (where I presume the numbers are ) or
    2. Not looking at all andjust banging it on the boot.

Either way that is the midfield and half backs that are at fault.

I actually thought it was our poor disposal and lack of being first to the ball that killed us often on the weekend. We play a style of game where we allow the opposition to work it up to the forward fifty where in theory we then have them turn it over to allow us to build a counter attack. This style falls apart when we make glaring skill errors that lead to a turnover to the opposition in a very dangerous part of the ground. Often on the weekend we seemed to have a lot of the play only to make such an error and turn it over to almost immediate goals. This is one part of our game that just doesnt work in the wet IMO.
    Quite right. And not in the dry either.
    And I agree that although our forward line is still a problem, what's really hurting us at present is that we are being beaten in the midfield, where people who were real stars last year have gone off the boil: both captains, Hanners, Mitchell, Jetta. The honourable exceptions are Kennedy and Parker, and even he had a forgettable game on North. McGlynn is also trying hard but was given the wrong job on Harvey. What has happened to "relentless"?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Quite right. And not in the dry either.
    And I agree that although our forward line is still a problem, what's really hurting us at present is that we are being beaten in the midfield, where people who were real stars last year have gone off the boil: both captains, Hanners, Mitchell, Jetta. The honourable exceptions are Kennedy and Parker, and even he had a forgettable game on North. McGlynn is also trying hard but was given the wrong job on Harvey. What has happened to "relentless"?
    That's it in a nutshell for me. Tippett will help but if we continue to have midfielders struggle to get the ball, we'll continue to struggle to win games.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We should play more games at ANZ. At least that ground suits our game style. And we win more out there.
    It was inevitable, but it took a while.

Was going to make the same comment as a wind up. We havent lost to the Pies at the Scg for a long time though.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112