Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 versus Fremantle

So can someone enlighten me regarding Towers? As far as I can tell he's done stuff all in the ressies so far this year, even in the massive win on the weekend he didn't rate a mention.

Out. ROK, Shaw, Derrickx.
    Ins. Nankervis, Bird, Biggs.

or Tippett if he's ready.
    Last edited by aardvark; 14th April 2014 at 02:38 PM.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    As far as I can tell he's done stuff all in the ressies so far this year, even in the massive win on the weekend he didn't rate a mention.
    That's because he didn't play. Does no one read the reserves thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    Wholesale changes are not the answer. I'm sure the club knows if the kids are ready to play AFL footy or not.

Shaw and O'Keefe are the two that I would look at. Shaw doesn't look to have lost any pace but he's playing poorly. Is he trying to do too much? I would've preferred if he had gone to Harvey (he has done the job before) and then that would've freed up McGlynn.

It's hard to believe how quickly it has happened but O'Keefe looks finished. Dropping marks, slower than ever and just can't find the footy.

In:
    Tippett (if right), Bird

Out:
    Derickx, O'Keefe.
    Yep agree with this 100%

Quote Originally Posted by gazza View Post
    agree with rok and derrick going,nankervis and bird replacements.but here is the bombshell DROP FUMBLY BUMBLY GRUNDY lrt to chb and towers or Lloyd in
    Agree with dropping Grundy & LRT back to his normal position of CHB. Or keep Grundy in the forward line until the big dogs - Reid, Tippett, Goodes - return.

The backline is our weakest link - not helped by Grundy mistakes on top of being slow of mind & feet.

Membrey has to be given a go this week! He's not at the club to count spiders...

Senior Player
    defense is the least of our concerns, or is it just me?

Grundy won't ever be getting dropped.

Probably Freo is too good for us and we are probably too good for the teams we play in the ensuing weeks, Melbourne and Brisbane. So let's use these weeks to try to get the team right for the Hawks in Round 8. From that point on we have a tough schedule for the rest of season.

Let's get rid of the slow, the fumbly and those who can't kick straight. I know not everyone is available for next week, but we can fill those spots with some on the EMG list until they are.

Here is the sort of side I would be looking to aim for in the next few weeks:

FB Laidler, Richards, Rampe
    HB Malceski, Reid, Smith
    CTR McVeigh, Hannebery, Luke Parker
    CTR/Bench Jake Lloyd, Bird, McGlynn
    RK Kennedy, Jack, Pyke
    HF Membrey, Franklin, Jetta
    FF Rohan, Tippett, Cunningham
    SUB from: Dean Towers, Biggs, Zak Jones, Brandon Jack, Tom Mitchell
    Bonus if available: Goodes

ROK should announce his retirement. He's been a great player for a long time. It's better to go out gracefully than endure the criticism he is getting. Let him focus on coaching some of the young players like Membrey and Marsh.

Tom Mitchell has to get his mojo back. He was a tackling machine last year. I wouldn't have Mitchell and Bird in the same team for now.

Veteran Site Admin
    Membrey kicking a bag against Queanbeyan is irrelevant in terms of readiness for senior footy. We've seen Reg, White, even Vogels do that on a regular basis. It is Membrey's work up and down the ground, his pressure skills and his tackling that are going to get him a game. I much of that was called for yesterday. In the two games he's played against nearly AFL standard opposition he has been outpointed by his opponent.

In any case, I don't think goal kicking, per se, is the problem. Yes, I know that sounds stupid given we've struggled to kick them in all bar one game. But the issue is the way the ball is being moved out of defence and through the midfield, and how it is being delivered into the forward line itself.

If one of the young reserves players is going to be rewarded, I'd prefer it is someone prepared to run hard, who looks where they kick the ball, and has some chance of actually hitting a target. The ability to win their own ball and tackle would be bonuses.

Name a squad of 28 - 30 players.

If it's wet play smaller than yesterday.

Match-ups, we need some older players on the ground to direct traffic. (something that Jude did so well)

The leaders need to do some talking.

Structures have been broken down. Players are not keeping the Swans zone and the ball is being turned over to easy.

Head over the ball players seemed to have gone missing... Parker and Mitchell are not the only players that need to go into a pack to get the ball.

No quiet ready for the rebuilding plan in my head. However there must be endeavor, guts and determination.. seems we are a little low on protecting the ball carrier. Sheppard and chase.

We were killed by turnovers (smothers in particular) Get ride of the ball earlier. 42 handballs in the wet doesn't work!

Same team if dry. (make them have a good look in the mirror though)

Smalls if wet!

Rod_

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    That's because he didn't play. Does no one read the reserves thread ?
    Yes we do read it Ugg. It makes a terrific read, so please don't despair!

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Membrey kicking a bag against Queanbeyan is irrelevant in terms of readiness for senior footy. We've seen Reg, White, even Vogels do that on a regular basis. It is Membrey's work up and down the ground, his pressure skills and his tackling that are going to get him a game.
    Hopefully NEAFL will upload the video of the game and we can see how he's doing in respect to these points. In the previous game, he seemed to be doing a fair bit of running up the ground and trying to influence the play. But's it's hard to tell from the videos just how much he's progressed. But he's looking trim and fit and has a good burst of speed.

Towers has been named a sub for a few weeks now, so he must be close. He's not the greatest in his tackling either.

I would like to see one of them get a game soon. We need a bit extra up forward atm. Whether it's speed or marking power, we need to change the mix a bit.

If reserves performance is supposed to be the avenue to getting a senior game, then why haven't we elevated Jake Lloyd? He's been our most consistent performer over the past year and seems to do all the right things. In the seniors, he would be an outside player that would get little attention from the opposition. Lloyd is good with pressure, but without pressure he can be a very damaging player.

We're 1 and 3 when most of us would have expected us to be 4-0 given the opposition. We are playing soulless footy. We are in serious need of a shakeup.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    make them have a good look in the mirror!
    I think there's been too much mirror gazing by the Swans. There's been more movement in hairdos and beards than on the footy field this year.

If Tippett does not get up for the game, what about Membrey (8 goals on the weekend)?
    Swannies for life!

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast