Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes for Round 5 versus Fremantle

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    That's because he didn't play. Does no one read the reserves thread ?
    Well that would explain it for last week. I still don't think he's up to it.

Some people have been calling for a couple of changes. I am calling on big changes. This rot has been going on for quite some time now. As someone else noted, 2 wins in the last nine games. Enough is enough. During the pre-season I noted that a changing of the guard was on it?s way. Looks like that may be happening sooner rather than later. Sadly for some of our senior players, the game appears to have left them behind. Whilst other senior players are perhaps taking their positions for granted without the required, hunger, commitment and honesty required. As I said in another thread, some players need to go back to the ressies and buy back in to the bloods culture. The most popular assessment on the weekend was about our forward line. I have a very simple suggestion. How about we actually play some forwards in our forward line. Longmire was critical that some of our forwards roamed too far up the ground leaving our opposition with numbers in our forward 50. What does he expect? He?s playing defenders and midfielders in our forward line. Instinctively they want to move back toward the ball. They don?t know how to play a forward role because they are not forwards.

Out ? In
    This is assuming if Tippett is fit, he will be given a run in the reserves 1st up.
    ROK ? Membrey. Even if he has slowed down, the really disappointing thing is, his leadership is not there when we need it. Membrey will improve our forward structure and offer a leading target.
    Shaw ? Matthew Dick. Whilst Shaw is still getting it, he decision making and disposal is atrocious. Dick has been named amongst the best for the two?s a couple of times, so gets a go as a rebounding defender. By all reports has been playing better than Biggs.
    Derickx ? Nankervis/Naismith. My feelings for Derickx are well known. Need to invest in our future. Nankervis seems to be the one they are pushing as Naismith is still rookie listed. But in the years to come, I can see Naismith as our main ruckman and Nankervis as a big power forward eventually taking over from Tippett. Either one needs to come into the team and play as our main ruckman so that Pyke can play forward as a contested marking option.
    Cunningham ? Bird needs to come back in and gives us a bit of hardness around the rucks.
    Mitchell ? Lloyd. Tommy is down on form and needs to go back to the two?s and buy back in. Jake has played consistently and deserves his chance. Will need to be elevated off the rookie list
    LRT ? Towers. LRT needs to develop his fitness in the reserves. Towers gives another leading forward with pace who can interchange up the ground when required.
    Rohan ? BJ. Need to rotate players through when you can. Gary needs a some full games in the reserves to build up his fitness. I would also play him on the half back line and see how he goes. BJ would play as the sub and hopefully make an impact late in the game.

On notice
    Hannebery ? needs to pay a visit to Jude or Stewy and have a heart to heart about what?s required to be a leader of the club. Will give him one more chance, otherwise Robinson deserves to have a go.
    Grundy ? seems to have slowed down a little in all parts of his game. But his experience buy?s him another week. Aliir?s athleticism and size is waiting in the wings.

My team including the positions they are to play is

B: Smith, Richards, Laidler
    HB: Malceski, Grundy, Rampe
    C: Jetta, McVeigh, K Jack
    Fol: Nankervis, Kennedy, Bird
    HF: Parker, Franklin, Towers
    F: Membrey, Pyke, McGlynn
    I/C: Hannebery, Dick, Lloyd
    Sub: BJ

I'd hardly bring Dick in before Biggs - biggs did well in his performances last year, and is that bit older too with more experience. He surely is first in line for the back line flanker style role. I do wonder Flying South whether you might be over rating the ability/current level of some of our current reserve team players.

Wholesale changes aren't going to do a thing if there isn't a corresponding increase in effort and a better attitude as well. Our attitude this year so far has stunk, and our willingness to get stuck in severely lacking.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I agree mcs. If there's one way to guarantee we lose the game it would be to bring in five debutants

Veteran Site Admin
    People throwing around the names of Biggs, Naismith and Lloyd near to bear in mind that they are all on the rookie list. We have one season-long LTIL spot available (AJ) and one that might be free for another week or two at best. Walsh sounds like he is back in full training so the club will probably want to start easing him back playing reserves quite soon.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    People throwing around the names of Biggs, Naismith and Lloyd near to bear in mind that they are all on the rookie list. We have one season-long LTIL spot available (AJ) and one that might be free for another week or two at best. Walsh sounds like he is back in full training so the club will probably want to start easing him back playing reserves quite soon.
    Well that's okay. 2 is enough for now anyway. Besides, I thought we could elevate 2 more because our senior list is at 38 and we can raise it to 40 during the year. Also ROK can retire and free up another spot.

Bringing in a few of our better performing reserves players to replace poorly performing senior players is not going to be the cause of future losses. We brought in Biggs and BJ last year with some positive effect.

It's more about facing up to reality. Letting go of the past and discovering what the future holds for the Swans. No point in being in a terminal state of denial.

I don't want to see any big changes. I want to see some faith shown in the players.

Call me crazy.

I think they'll eventually deliver.

Our hopes of september success require shaw playing a role. Without him, teams can concentrate on malceski and stop our run.

Maybe shaw is missing targets because no one is offering any?

I think our problems are midfield related anyway. Need mcveigh back in there.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Well that's okay. 2 is enough for now anyway. Besides, I thought we could elevate 2 more because our senior list is at 38 and we can raise it to 40 during the year. Also ROK can retire and free up another spot.

Bringing in a few of our better performing reserves players to replace poorly performing senior players is not going to be the cause of future losses. We brought in Biggs and BJ last year with some positive effect.

It's more about facing up to reality. Letting go of the past and discovering what the future holds for the Swans. No point in being in a terminal state of denial.
    I think we had to nominate rookies to play senior footy before the start of the season. Don't think you can do it part way through the season but ready to stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    I don't want to see any big changes. I want to see some faith shown in the players.

Call me crazy.

I think they'll eventually deliver.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-- Albert Einstein
    Weather. Injured players coming back in. Teams will peak at different times in a year. Also take into account that keeping the same players will lift their confidence and help the team gel a bit. Dropping the veterans too hastily will cause disunity and will send a message that the coaches are panicking.

I swear this Einstein quote is the bane of my existence. One of the most misquoted quotes of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think we had to nominate rookies to play senior footy before the start of the season. Don't think you can do it part way through the season but ready to stand corrected.
    I believe there is some sort of nomination process, but haven't got a clue on the technicalities. There may also be salary cap considerations; another matter I am clueless on. I just assumed that these were technical matters that could be overcome with the proper paperwork, but could well be mistaken.

But I am really serious about the ROK retirement and trying to free up a couple of rookie spots. It's a bizarre situation that our best reserves players are rookie listed.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast