Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't anyone at the SCG sit at Kenny's end?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    3 April 2014. I think it was Kenny's 85th birthday.

SwansTV: Happy Birthday Kenny - sydneyswans.com.au
    Nice. And he wiped his eye!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Kenny and Yvonne were interviewed in their usual spot on Sat during the reserves. I suspect it was Swans TV (not sure) in which case we will see it in the coming weeks...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I stumbled across a Big Footy thread created in September 2012 about Kenny. There were a lot of nasty comments (typical of BF, the reason I don't usually read it). These comments had been read by Kenny's daughter Diane so she responded (remarkably politely given the provocation) with some background. Here is some of it.

"Hi all, I am Ken's daughter and am astonished by people's misinformation. Ken was a jockey not a footy player. He constantly has to reiterate this. He is a fan like everybody else but was the only constant supporter rain hail or shine, win or loose since they moved here. As a young child he and his Irish nana crept under the fence to watch the win in 1933 and he hasn't stopped loving the club despite coming to nsw to ride for tommySmith and my uncle phil (horse trainer). Many years ago he had a terrible stoke and his love of footy and his family got him through his rehab. He was invited by Ron barasi to sing the song and become a trainer at training. As he has got to 83 he feels it is an absolute privilege - he is blessed and relishes spending his life with these young men of character and talent We host new young boys in our home and support their journey regardless of how short lived with the club. The boys adore dad. He is like their combined grandpa. Mum bakes them birthday cakes and they share in their careers and their personal lives. They think dad is the thread from the earliest days to its present day and god willing, it's future.
    Dad does press when asked and has a laugh with his boys but is actually a man of few words. The swans pumps the blood through his veins, his blood runs red and white. I wish every person I met had such passion in something as it really is INSPIRATIONAL Diane x
    Sep 24, 2012"

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    "Hi all, I am Ken's daughter and am astonished by people's misinformation.....
    The swans pumps the blood through his veins, his blood runs red and white. I wish every person I met had such passion in something as it really is INSPIRATIONAL Diane x
    Sep 24, 2012"

Where is the RWO "like" button?
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Bless him. I know someone who sat in his seat once.
    Suffice to say, young Kenny wasn't too happy about it.
    They never sat anywhere near his seat again.
    Wild speculation, unsubstantiated rumours, silly jokes and opposition delight in another's failures is what makes an internet forum fun.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Technically though shouldn't those bays be for the away cheer squad ?
    Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    Geelong has always had the away team cheer squad stuck in the pocket away from the goals and their own secondary cheer squad behind the goals. I've always considered it bad form. It takes away some more of the tradition of the game. Kenny got his head on the TV more than the actual Cheer Squad which is a bit sad. I love Kenny but I like the colour & movement a Cheer Squad provides, even if it is the opposition.
    Baskin
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    This always annoyed me too. It almost seemed like the cats were cheating in a way. It's a bad position for a cheer squad to be in (Right next to the larger support group) and at an angle where you couldn't know for sure a goal was scored until the goal umpire gave the signal. There was dead silence until the goal was signalled and I found this highly frustrating.
    Is it still the case that the opposition bay at the SCG is not directly behind the sticks? Pretty poor form. Who would be responsible for such a decision?

I have to add my bit about Kenny. I once went along to training and felt very lost (I was the only visitor, also an older female and out-of-towner). Then Kenny came up and really made me feel welcome, offering me a comfy chair and generally looking after me.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
    Bless him. I know someone who sat in his seat once.
    Suffice to say, young Kenny wasn't too happy about it.
    They never sat anywhere near his seat again.
    Pretty arrogant to kick someone out when he is in an unreserved seat. Don't want to slag him (love his passion), but have always found it quite humorous that he sits in the exact spot to get the right TV angle rather then directly behind the goals.

I'm doing ok right now, thanks Danzar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by billyboob View Post
    Is it still the case that the opposition bay at the SCG is not directly behind the sticks? Pretty poor form. Who would be responsible for such a decision?
    My understanding on this one is that it actually had something to do with the SCG Trust rules or something? Not sure why or what the specifics were, but I thought there was a conflict of sorts with SCG members or the like. Or even dress regulations when entering via Gate A?
    Captain, I am detecting large quantities of win in this sector

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Pretty arrogant to kick someone out when he is in an unreserved seat. Don't want to slag him (love his passion), but have always found it quite humorous that he sits in the exact spot to get the right TV angle rather then directly behind the goals.
    An inappropriate post. He was sitting in the exact seat GIVEN TO HIM BY THE CLUB WITH HIS NAME ON IT (circa1996) since the club went up to Sydney, and long before anyone bothered to provide Swans games with TV coverage . Never missed a game. And you couldn't sit right behind the goals, it's called a Vehicle entrance! Same at both ends. Do you even watch these games?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Danzar View Post
    My understanding on this one is that it actually had something to do with the SCG Trust rules or something? Not sure why or what the specifics were, but I thought there was a conflict of sorts with SCG members or the like. Or even dress regulations when entering via Gate A?
    There's a guarded barrier separating the Noble and Bradman stands. (on the ground level anyway, I haven't checked the upper levels)

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    An inappropriate post. He was sitting in the exact seat GIVEN TO HIM BY THE CLUB WITH HIS NAME ON IT (circa1996) since the club went up to Sydney, and long before anyone bothered to provide Swans games with TV coverage . Never missed a game. And you couldn't sit right behind the goals, it's called a Vehicle entrance! Same at both ends. Do you even watch these games?
    You don't agree with something so it's inappropriate?

I have sat in the noble stand since 1992 and as far as I'm concerned, the vehicle entrance has never been directly behind the goals. It has always been on the eastern side of the goals. I put the question back to you, 'do you even watch these games?'

Also interested to see how a car could get out onto the ground if there were goal posts in the way...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast