Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't anyone at the SCG sit at Kenny's end?

Why doesn't anyone at the SCG sit at Kenny's end?

Never actually been to the SCG and I've always wondered why most fans sit on the right hand side of the TV screen rather than the left side where Kenny Williams has always sat. Most weeks the right hand side is completely full and the other side is empty with the exception of a few fans (Kenny and his posse).

Is it because it has a better view? Easier to get to? Closer to a bus-stop or station? Because nobody likes Kenny? More expensive?

Sorry if the answer is bleeding obvious, it just seems like good seats are going to waste and doesn't look too good on TV. As far back as I can remember... (Around 1990), that particular area has always been empty with the exception of sell-outs.

On a side note... they should rename that particularly seating area after Kenny. Opposition supporters have always recognized him.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The left hand side is for Red Zone members. Don't know how many there are but looks like much less than there are seats. The right hand side has remained for GA tickets, and out cheer squad

The very first row of the new stands is noticeably lower than ground level. Hence if you sit there it can be hard to view play on the other side of the ground. In general sitting first row is a poor vantage point for Afl viewing

Also, if you sit towards the back few rows you can have TV screens hanging from the roof, makes it easier to watch replays

Technically though shouldn't those bays be for the away cheer squad ?

They've put opposition cheer squad in the bay to the left of it, dunno why hey. I'm loving new Red Zone!

Blog Entries
    Is it because of old man smell?

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    They've put opposition cheer squad in the bay to the left of it, dunno why hey. I'm loving new Red Zone!
    Geelong has always had the away team cheer squad stuck in the pocket away from the goals and their own secondary cheer squad behind the goals. I've always considered it bad form. It takes away some more of the tradition of the game. Kenny got his head on the TV more than the actual Cheer Squad which is a bit sad. I love Kenny but I like the colour & movement a Cheer Squad provides, even if it is the opposition.
    Baskin

Thank for the reply ugg! Understand now. Very strange arrangement by the SCG. You'd think they'd have rebuilt it more slanted for easier viewing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Is it because of old man smell?
    Yes. Yes it is.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    Geelong has always had the away team cheer squad stuck in the pocket away from the goals and their own secondary cheer squad behind the goals. I've always considered it bad form. It takes away some more of the tradition of the game. Kenny got his head on the TV more than the actual Cheer Squad which is a bit sad. I love Kenny but I like the colour & movement a Cheer Squad provides, even if it is the opposition.
    Baskin
    This always annoyed me too. It almost seemed like the cats were cheating in a way. It's a bad position for a cheer squad to be in (Right next to the larger support group) and at an angle where you couldn't know for sure a goal was scored until the goal umpire gave the signal. There was dead silence until the goal was signalled and I found this highly frustrating.

Suspended by the MRP
    I was watching some old Warrick Capper highlights and there was Kenny behind the goals, cheering for Warrick. How long has Kenny been sitting in that seat and leading the team song? Can someone tell me the story behind the most famous Swans supporter?

He's been there since the Swans moved to Sydney. There used to be five friends together, now just Kenny and Mrs Kenny.
    The Club did a grand thing in 1996 by telling them they would take them to the MCG if the Swans got into the GF, and they did.
    They were also awarded special seats down behind the goals, with their names on them. Don't think that is the case these days. Those original seats were just garden chairs.
    They have always been on deck, Kenny is at all training and runs the water for the boys, and Mrs Kenny (Yvonne, but she has always been Mrs Kenny to me) provides a bit of home cooking for the boys and I suspect a shoulder and a home away from home.
    You can tell how much they are loved when the boys who have gone to other clubs come over and give them a hug before or after a game. Every time.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    You can tell how much they are loved when the boys who have gone to other clubs come over and give them a hug before or after a game. Every time.
    Thanks Primmy, yes I've noticed that. I particularly remember the first time we played the Bulldogs after BBB left us in rather tense circumstances. At the end of the match Barry came over to Kenny and with a beaming smile wrapped him up in a hug. Quite telling I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I was watching some old Warrick Capper highlights and there was Kenny behind the goals, cheering for Warrick. How long has Kenny been sitting in that seat and leading the team song? Can someone tell me the story behind the most famous Swans supporter?
    My Dad told me he used to see him around Lakeside Oval before 1982. Definitely one of our most diehard supporters. Wouldn't be surprised if he moved up to Sydney for the sole purpose of following the club.

I distinctly remember the first time I saw him speaking on camera. It was in 1995 versus the bombers. The boundary rider was chatting with him about raising money for the swans and he put in some money in the tin the boundary rider was carrying and said something like, "do it for me Plugger." Funnily enough, a year before this he was abusing Plugger in 1994.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thanks Primmy and Meg. Terrific stories and an important part of our history.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

3 April 2014. I think it was Kenny's 85th birthday.

http://m.sydneyswans.com.au/video/20...birthday-kenny

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast