Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laidler - wheres your head at ?

Laidler - wheres your head at ?

hhmmm it appears from different commentary by Horse etc that the coaching and or player group felt we needed a bit more height down back....

maybe concern over AJ and his knee and or backup if we lost two key defenders for a period of time?

maybe because they want to bit by bit help Rampe "the third tall in 2013" to play more into the midfield for parts of the game in 2014 ?

either way in your opinion has Jeremy started to make his claim for a spot in your 22 week in week out ?

if so and when Reid, Tip etc start presenting themselves for the Snr team will Jeremy remain in your 22 ?

For me he is playing a fairly simplified role for now and unlike Dre is not prone to brain explosions but in fairness to Dre doesnt have the run from the backline !

I quite like what I see and I think the more he buys into the culture the more he may be like a Marty Mattner style player as he appeared to be a few years ago for Carlton in his break out year !

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

He's a solid decision maker, good boot and seems to be able to occasionally pop up and kick a goal. He's missing some pace. I'd need to see more of him but I'm almost at the point I'd pick him ahead of Grundy.

Don't get me wrong, I think Reg is a pretty good workhorse and gets a lot of stick for the occasional brainfart.

Had breakfast watching the Melb game, made a note of Jerry. He is doing ok. Having fun. Learning where/how the boys move. Not everyone is a Star. But he is NOT a shirker.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

He's got a few things to work on, but overall he shows good signs. He's been unfortunate not to get more senior time at Carlton. The thing I like about Laidler is that he was a fan favourite at Carlton and was considered a excellent reader of the play and intercept mark. So once he gets more experience with our system we may see more of that Mattner type of play.

At worst, he looks to be a solid depth player, but just may turn out to be good enough to hold down that 3rd tall spot.

I like Laids, he's come along from Round 1. Don't have stats but appears to have improved his disposal efficiency

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    Had breakfast watching the Melb game ..........
    Ah Primmy, watching footy at breakfast time seems akin to drinking red wine at breakfast. Just the thought of it messes with my head!

I can't see him being dropped to make way for any of our injured forwards. Would be more like Reid for LRT or Tippet for Derickx before Reid/Tip for Laidler...

Helps that I think he's pretty easy on the eyes as well, a la Mattner. The way he moves reminds me a lot of Mattner as well.

Quote Originally Posted by billyboob View Post
    I can't see him being dropped to make way for any of our injured forwards. Would be more like Reid for LRT or Tippet for Derickx before Reid/Tip for Laidler...

Helps that I think he's pretty easy on the eyes as well, a la Mattner. The way he moves reminds me a lot of Mattner as well.
    If we're picking the team on eye candy value, Tom D first one picked! May not be any world beater at footy but my lordy he's a beautiful specimen.

Laidler gets better with every game. I thought his effort and delivery were very good against the Dees.

Senior Player
    I no complain. Keep going Laidler!

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    I agree with most of the sentiment above.
    Laids plays a solid game, not afraid to use his body. Seems a bit one sided with his kicking, but saying that I now can't remember if he is left or right footed.
    I think he is a good fit for our back seven.
    ___Ted______Smooch__
    ________Shaw________
    Rampe____Reg____Laids

Looks like a very good defensive unit, especially with the way Rampe has improved over the last year and the way Laids seems to be finding his place. I especially like what I see in terms of delivery from those two as well.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Warming the Bench
    I was a bit worried early in the season and pre-seaon. He has improved every game and seems to be getting the confidence of his team mates which is essential down back.

The other thing about our backline at the moment is that they have coped well and defended lots of inside 50's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast