Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Towers - Another 1st round bust?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    With all the talk of Towers not living up to his first round reputation, will people now acknowledge what a great draft pick Jesse White was! He was the 3rd last pick in the 2006 draft, and is now the Collingwood CHF.

The Swans even got a higher draft pick from Collingwood, than what he cost to the Swans.

I think Jesse will have a better career as a key forward in the AFL than Swans first round pick Lewis Johnston.
    Acknowledge and Agree.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veterans List
    Even seems to be named in the best players on occasions when the ressie watchers didn't rate him for that game. The strange Best Players politics.

It seems unless there is a dramatic lift in his output and influence at ressie level then he may be a bust, even as early as this years delisting :-(

It was a shock call at the draft and looks another Daniel O'Keefe selection, not rated anywhere near that high by any other team except us.

Towers said that he's read the RWO comments and is gutted. He never realised how poor his performance had been so far and is determined to turn things around .................................. wait a sec ..............................I'm watching the ressies game .....................................

Towers takes a strong mark ............................................ and goals from 50 out!!! Yes.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    The "from pick #22 it's all a lottery" argument raised in this thread has the smell of a threadbare justification. If that assertion was true then we would not see every club put in inordinate efforts to improve their later draft picks (even in this compromised draft it was going on) by means of pick swaps etc. etc.

For what it's worth DA, and I appreciate that this is a personal thing: I certainly suggest there were at least one player that was picked after Towers that would (and indeed should) be getting a game in the currant Swans side . . . Dan Currie.

Although I am warming to DerekX for his effort, I think Dan should have come back to the Swans.
    PS Is anyone else puzzled why Steve hasn't got a single one of the young ruckman into the firsts in almost 20 years? He has done terrific work with the rucks we have purchased from elsewhere, but the draftees get nowhere. Weird!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    For what it's worth DA, and I appreciate that this is a personal thing: I certainly suggest there were at least one player that was picked after Towers that would (and indeed should) be getting a game in the currant Swans side . . . Dan Currie.

Although I am warming to DerekX for his effort, I think Dan should have come back to the Swans.
    PS Is anyone else puzzled why Steve hasn't got a single one of the young ruckman into the firsts in almost 20 years? He has done terrific work with the rucks we have purchased from elsewhere, but the draftees get nowhere. Weird!
    Not sure that is entirely accurate. Didn't James Meiklejohn once play a senior game...?

Mike Pyke?

Suspended by the MRP
    Glad to be on a less controversial forum. What about Adam Goodes? He was a Brownlow winning ruckman in 2003. After early 2004 was never played in the ruck again.

Stephen Doyle?

- - - Updated - - -

Ricky Mott?

I'll take my hat and leave now......
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    The "from pick #22 it's all a lottery" argument raised in this thread has the smell of a threadbare justification. If that assertion was true then we would not see every club put in inordinate efforts to improve their later draft picks (even in this compromised draft it was going on) by means of pick swaps etc. etc.

I have always thought that the swans would be pushing to have the opportunity to trade future draft selections like they do in the NFL/NBA to reduce the need to relocate and develop as many young players as our recent history show that we get better results with experienced players than drafting especially it would seem with first round selections. Given that we keep less players on our list and do not use all of our selections it is pretty clear that we are not a club committed to maintaining our position via the national draft and long term development.

I understand where your coming from re Currie and was glad he did well in SANFL - was unlucky with us and would have been a brave call to bring him back when clubs like to look forward rather than back - fresh change has worked for him and will be interesting to see how he goes - I don't know if North can play both him and Goldstein together and think he will go better as the main ruck if he gets the opportunity.

I hope Tom D takes a contested mark soon - he certainly knows how to crash a pack with a bit of collateral damage at times - maybe the ruck coach's physical style takes a big toll on young ruckman as we have found out over the years - Mike Pyke was already strong enough to handle the contest

Simon Feist

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Not all the ruckmen we recruit are successful either. Paul Chambers and Mark Seaby come to mind although in the latter's case he did have a handful of good games

Suspended by the MRP
    We are judging the November 2012 draftees (Towers, Marsh, Dick and Membery) toughly because they are still to make a senior team debut.

Do people who watch the reserve games regularly think that the November 2013 draftees (Jones, Hewitt, Toby N and Alire) will get a senior debut in 2014. If so, which one is most likely?

We have 9 guys on our senior list who are yet to debut at the senior level.

It must be hard for those 9 guys as the next cabs of the rank are Mitchell, Rohan and Brandon Jack.

ROK wants to get back in the senior team, with Tippett and San Reid to come back into the senior mix in the next two weeks.

If there are no senior injuries, then there are going to be at least two senior guys coming out to make way for Reid and Tippett.

Tom Walsh is close to a reserve return and he will be fighting tooth and nail in the reserves to earn another contact.

I don't see how any of those 9 guys will earn a senior debut any time soon!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast