Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: vs Melbourne match thread

I was taken aback by the way Melbourne supporters swung between euphoria ((when Demons kicked a goal) and abuse of their own players when they lost the ball. Perhaps they've needed to have an emotional release to survive the bad times. And may be I am mollycoddled by usually sitting in a Swans members area. But in my experience Swans fans groan when we stuff up but on the whole we don't abuse our own players.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Faunac8 View Post
    I was at the game and close to the boundary and listening to the way the Demon supporters gave it to him I can't say I really blame him for appearing disinterested.
    I know some players try our patience but I have always felt that you should never bag them within their earshot especially in front of opposition supporters.
    That's what forums like this are for.
    I reckon Jack Watts in the right environment has plenty of good football left in him after all he is only 23 FGS!!
    Jack has been very badly managed by the Demons. IIRC he came on for his debut in firsts the season after he was drafted and was promptly set upon and bashed up by three or four Collingwood players. If he'd been a Swan he'd have spent his first year in the twos, would have had to earn his debut, and would be both more skilful and more confident. If the need arises for a tall utility, I'd be inclined to give him a go, depending who was available of course. I imagine nothing would give him more satisfaction than to run on for a decent club against Melbourne at the MCG. In the meantime I hope Roos can turn him around.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    You have to feel for the bloke. Perhaps he is another Jesse who would fulfil his potential at another club. And not in Vic.
    How well is Jesse doing at Collingwood? He is playing his role really well and is forming a powerful combination with Cloke. Every goal he kicks for Collingwood and there has been a few of those, should be celebrated by those on this forum who believed in him, when the coaching staff and so many did not!

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Jack has been very badly managed by the Demons. IIRC he came on for his debut in firsts the season after he was drafted and was promptly set upon and bashed up by three or four Collingwood players. If he'd been a Swan he'd have spent his first year in the twos, would have had to earn his debut, and would be both more skilful and more confident. If the need arises for a tall utility, I'd be inclined to give him a go, depending who was available of course. I imagine nothing would give him more satisfaction than to run on for a decent club against Melbourne at the MCG. In the meantime I hope Roos can turn him around.
    Jack watts is a replica of everitt and saddington. Not strong enough and never will be to play as a key defender. Good skills but lacks the ability to play really tight. He might work as a bachir houli type as a looseish third defender flanker or wingman. But that is not really a swans type player. Our flankers have to start by beating their man then play for the ball.

I just can't see him thriving with us.

As an aside of the melbourne players that have moved on none have done really well. Moloney is nothing special at Brisbane, Sylvia can't get a game at freo, rivers is playing third tall defender at Geelong, Morton can't get a game and so on.

I'd steer clear personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Still early days.
    Remember 05 and how totally dominating The Crows were? After round 6 in 2005 we were twelfth and looking anything but a premiership threat, pretty much like this year to date!
    Or 2012. About this time the argument was over whether Carlton or Essendon would take the flag. I remember watching Before the Game or one of those and one presenter said that you couldn't discount Sydney after we beat Hawthorn in Tas. All he got was a few snickers and 'yeah good one'.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    How well is Jesse doing at Collingwood? He is playing his role really well and is forming a powerful combination with Cloke. Every goal he kicks for Collingwood and there has been a few of those, should be celebrated by those on this forum who believed in him, when the coaching staff and so many did not!
    Keep flogging the dead horse Matt80!

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I was taken aback by the way Melbourne supporters swung between euphoria ((when Demons kicked a goal) and abuse of their own players when they lost the ball. Perhaps they've needed to have an emotional release to survive the bad times. And may be I am mollycoddled by usually sitting in a Swans members area. But in my experience Swans fans groan when we stuff up but on the whole we don't abuse our own players.
    While I would largely agree with you Meg, I do remember a small portion of our cheer squad (and surrounding supporters) going feral once on the team. Ironically it was at the G against Melbourne a few years back when the Dees inflicted Roosy's largest ever loss as a Swans coach.

I was appalled at some of the abuse being dished up to our players that day. My kids were frightened. We played really badly but the anger of the fans was over the top.

I think Teddy and Marty bore the brunt of it, from memory.

But I re-iterate, that is the only time I can recall it happening. Even during the dark days that preceded our renaissance. Perhaps, we have been fortunate in sustained success.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    Jack watts is a replica of everitt and saddington. Not strong enough and never will be to play as a key defender. Good skills but lacks the ability to play really tight. He might work as a bachir houli type as a looseish third defender flanker or wingman. But that is not really a swans type player. Our flankers have to start by beating their man then play for the ball.

I just can't see him thriving with us.

As an aside of the melbourne players that have moved on none have done really well. Moloney is nothing special at Brisbane, Sylvia can't get a game at freo, rivers is playing third tall defender at Geelong, Morton can't get a game and so on.

I'd steer clear personally.
    If he wasn't a number 1 draft pick , maybe expectations wouldn't be so high.

I wouldn't take a player that wasn't good enough to play for Paul Roos.

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    While I would largely agree with you Meg, I do remember a small portion of our cheer squad (and surrounding supporters) going feral once on the team. Ironically it was at the G against Melbourne a few years back when the Dees inflicted Roosy's largest ever loss as a Swans coach.

I was appalled at some of the abuse being dished up to our players that day. My kids were frightened. We played really badly but the anger of the fans was over the top.

I think Teddy and Marty bore the brunt of it, from memory.

But I re-iterate, that is the only time I can recall it happening. Even during the dark days that preceded our renaissance. Perhaps, we have been fortunate in sustained success.
    That's interesting. I was at that match but with my Melbourne friends in the Melbourne members area. So I wasn't aware of the Swans fans reaction you describe. I do remember vividly the hysterical excitement of the Melbourne fans however!

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    If he wasn't a number 1 draft pick , maybe expectations wouldn't be so high.
    That's pretty much the gist of it. If he wasn't #1 pick he'd just be another big fella taking time to mature as big fellas do....
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Except I've heard too many of our own supporters abusing buddy. It's time to get behind the team and buddy is a big part of our team now

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast