Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast

Thread: vs Melbourne match thread

Mummy has had 2 games since getting to the little brothers. Knee. Again.

I don't understand the slagging off of TD. He is a ruckman delisted from Richmond ! for Pete's sake and in his first year under the guidance of the Ruck Whisperer. It takes years to develop. He gets to contests, has kicked goals, puts in, risen in value in my dream team. What more do you want? Blood? Well you got that too, courtesy of Jetts.

As for looking slight. - MikyPyke has lost volume to fit the mould. Speaking of which, who else do you have in mind to do TD 's job? Hmm? At present you have a choice of one. So stop this narkiness and support a Swan.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    Using the Richmond excuse doesnt wash either. If we picked up a big fat bloke off the street (or from the grandstand) we'd similarly be able to say, well they've never played in the ruck so best we could hope for was to run at the opposition ruckman.

As I said earlier, I cant comment on the ability of the two Ns in ressies to come in and take his place, but the fact that we are left with him as our best option is really, really poor list management, albeit a turd in a pile of diamonds.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post

I don't understand the slagging off of TD. He is a ruckman delisted from Richmond ! for Pete's sake and in his first year under the guidance of the Ruck Whisperer. It takes years to develop. He gets to contests, has kicked goals, puts in, risen in value in my dream team. What more do you want? Blood? Well you got that too, courtesy of Jetts.

As for looking slight. - MikyPyke has lost volume to fit the mould. Speaking of which, who else do you have in mind to do TD 's job? Hmm? At present you have a choice of one. So stop this narkiness and support a Swan.
    I'm with Primmy here. They are ruck men. They break. We clearly thought Mummy wanted a contract longer than his body would last - and that makes the 10 year Franklin contract interesting. We have an injured ruck man in the 2s and Derrickx is playing a role and that'll be useful if/when Pyke is too injured to play.

I remember when Cox was the greatest waste of time in the AFL. He developed okay. And I remember when NicNat was the great hope - not the subject of disparaging headlines.

I don't know where Pyke is at - he's not playing well and I don't think it's the loss of Mummy as he played enough games when Mummy was on the sidelines. I'm guessing it's an injury. And, like Liz, I've already suggested Ben McGlynn will get a ruck start before Goodes. And I'll cover my eyes if fragile Tippett does much rucking. So, at present, I'm thinking thank goodness for TD. And he provided a touch of comic relief in a very boring Dees game.

Actually I'd really love to see Benny rucking......Might Mouse taking on the Big Boys......oh and that oohahh mark over him by the Melbourne bloke, which had all the commentators whoopty doing !! Really?? Even I could leap frog Benny!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player

Stop all that common sense! And yes Mummy proving to be brittle again. Poor bugger.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually I'd really love to see Benny rucking......Might Mouse taking on the Big Boys......oh and that oohahh mark over him by the Melbourne bloke, which had all the commentators whoopty doing !! Really?? Even I could leap frog Benny!
    I know! Benny is 5 foot nothing and it wasn't even that much height over him!

Suspended by the MRP

Agree Primmy that the slagging off of Tom D is wrong. In the Daily Mail Bondi Beach article he is described as an AFL Star. It's also apparent that he is a huge celebrity overseas. Show some respect people!

He is fighting to preserve the Bondi Beach Sydney Swans dream and he won't let it slip.

I expect him to keep improving !

Tom D is doing his job. Nank isn't ready. Naismith is injured. Paddy Mitchell has played the sport for less than a year. LRT isn't setting the world on fire. Tommy D stays.

yeah it is funny how there is always, every year, without fail, a player or two in a team that is scorched by blind rage from "supporters"

I fell into the trap saying Watts just doesnt look keen to be out on the footy field at all and should consider another path..........

We all do it or as a minimum think it........some less then others thank goodness !

I havent jumped on the bandwagon of the frustration with TD.....Tom is playing a role for our team to function against some better opposite numbers and doing it well enough
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Tom Derickx is our second best ruckman atm, but he's starting from a level a couple of notches below Mark Seaby IMO, who took plenty on flack on this site. He probably will improve due to the benefit of a new coach and senior experience. I don't want to predict the outcome, but he just doesn't look an AFL footballer (on field), and he's got a way to go to reach that level.

Most teams will play 2 ruckmen if both are good, otherwise the second ruckman doesn't add enough to the side by giving the number one ruckman a bit of relief. I think we fall into the 2nd category. Derickx and LRT have been holding a place for injured forwards and doubt they will be in the side once we get them all back, or even 3 out of 4. They have to go out, because there's no place for them in the structure.

Quote Originally Posted by DamY View Post
    Tom D is doing his job. Nank isn't ready. Naismith is injured. Paddy Mitchell has played the sport for less than a year. LRT isn't setting the world on fire. Tommy D stays.
    Well said. Give that man a cigar!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

And a Heineken!! See you at the Members Bar at ANZ!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Tom Derickx is our second best ruckman atm, but he's starting from a level a couple of notches below Mark Seaby IMO, who took plenty on flack on this site. He probably will improve due to the benefit of a new coach and senior experience. I don't want to predict the outcome, but he just doesn't look an AFL footballer (on field), and he's got a way to go to reach that level.

Most teams will play 2 ruckmen if both are good, otherwise the second ruckman doesn't add enough to the side by giving the number one ruckman a bit of relief. I think we fall into the 2nd category. Derickx and LRT have been holding a place for injured forwards and doubt they will be in the side once we get them all back, or even 3 out of 4. They have to go out, because there's no place for them in the structure.
    Our second best ruckman or probably best ruckman is Tippett. The best balance for the team is for him to be second ruck doing between 30 - 40% of the work.

Without him doing that, the team will be carrying one rucking tall too many.

People on this forum are very against Tippett doing any ruck work and I don't understand why.