Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: vs Melbourne match thread

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Our second best ruckman or probably best ruckman is Tippett. The best balance for the team is for him to be second ruck doing between 30 - 40% of the work.

Without him doing that, the team will be carrying one rucking tall too many.

People on this forum are very against Tippett doing any ruck work and I don't understand why.
    Because it makes no sense to pay a bloke $800k a year to jump into other blokes.

One of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard

Senior Player
    Our second best ruckman or probably best ruckman is Tippett. The best balance for the team is for him to be second ruck doing between 30 - 40% of the work.

Without him doing that, the team will be carrying one rucking tall too many.

People on this forum are very against Tippett doing any ruck work and I don't understand why.
    Against him rucking at the moment because his knee is too close to recent injury not to mention his chest injury to risk him being In the ruck

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Because it makes no sense to pay a bloke $800k a year to jump into other blokes.

Harsh ... but true.

To be honest, I personally feel that Tippett, to date, is still more potential & promise than proven performance (either as a forward or a ruckman).

He's had some good games as a forward, but not consistently a dominating power forward that his size & athleticism warrants ... yet. & is solid as a ruckman but hasn't dominated the contests in the middle (Pyke has at times though).

Horse recruited Tippett as a mobile power forward forward. Get him healthy and use him as such.

$650 (Mummy) should be the maximum.

NicNat looking for a mil. You gotta be kiddin'.

What are Cox and Sandi worth to jump into players? Definitely overpaid.

We should tell Tippo, if he comes within 10 metres of a ruck contest, we're cutting his salary. And no marking contests either. Look what happened the last time he tried that. He cracked a rib. Can't have that. It's dangerous out there. And that goes double for Buddy. He could fall on his bad knee again. The only safe place for these fragile overpaid pansies is the Long Term Injury List.

The tip is on a 2 year deal and ends 2014 !

I wonder what happens next now that Buddy signed on

Tip got paid an awesome amount for two years........over and above his average annual salary original deal........???

I think Tip was awesome for the 11 or 12 games..........and so many of the big guys run into injuries and this one is only tendinitis !

Given that he will be on more like $600k pa for season s 2015 and 2016 i think the Tip is worth keep for sure !

"be tough, only when it gets tough"

Suspended by the MRP

Okay! With no rucking from Tippett, then you need LRT or Tom D to remain in the side, but you can't have Cunningham or Craig Bird in the forward line because there is no room!

Suspended by the MRP

Quote Originally Posted by 09183305 View Post
    Harsh ... but true.

To be honest, I personally feel that Tippett, to date, is still more potential & promise than proven performance (either as a forward or a ruckman).

He's had some good games as a forward, but not consistently a dominating power forward that his size & athleticism warrants ... yet. & is solid as a ruckman but hasn't dominated the contests in the middle (Pyke has at times though).

Horse recruited Tippett as a mobile power forward forward. Get him healthy and use him as such.
    Tippett in my opinion is not in the most elite power forward groups in the AFL. He is in the rung just below Kennedy, Cloke, Jack Riewalt, Nick Riewalt, Jarrod Roughead, Tom Hawkins, Lance Franklin and Jeremy Cameron.

What makes him very valuable is that he is the best goal-kicking ruckman in the AFL. He is the best 2nd ruck in the AFL due to his goal kicking ability. He is also as valuable as any player in the elite key forward group because none of the above guys can play effectively in the ruck.

Let's use Tippetts second ruck capability and get more mobility and speed into the team, compared to playing LRT or Tom D in the team!

Suspended by the MRP
    Apologies. I overlooked Matt Pavlich in the elite key forward group.

Goodsey won the Brownlow while rucking, and still Roosey declared he would never play him there again. Knees.

What problem has Tippo got? Knees. Playing him as ruck on those dollars! Protect your investment I say.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Warming the Bench
    With a fit team, we all agree we are choc full of talent in the forward line and should kick big scores. A lot agree we have a problem with our 2nd ruck man. Either not getting many taps and / or not being effective around the ground.I am guessing this is going to be the last season for Goodsy (sadly). If he acknowledges it and accepts it, why not roll the injury dice and throw him in to the ruck for 20% of the time? If that's too much, use him only against the top teams and drop the second ruck for these games. If thats still too much, use it as a finals strategy!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    With a fit team, we all agree we are choc full of talent in the forward line and should kick big scores. A lot agree we have a problem with our 2nd ruck man. Either not getting many taps and / or not being effective around the ground.I am guessing this is going to be the last season for Goodsy (sadly). If he acknowledges it and accepts it, why not roll the injury dice and throw him in to the ruck for 20% of the time? If that's too much, use him only against the top teams and drop the second ruck for these games. If thats still too much, use it as a finals strategy!
    What a strategy and it makes perfect sense. If you want to protect Tippets long term health then put Goodes in the ruck, who is not a long term proposition. Just get Pyke to do the centre square and get Goodes doing the rucking around the ground. His work around the ground and second efforts will be superior to Mumford's. Great thinking and congratulations on your bravery. You will cop it Goods78, but I will be there with you and I'm use to copping it!

Warming the Bench
    What a strategy and it makes perfect sense. If you want to protect Tippets long term health then put Goodes in the ruck, who is not a long term proposition. Just get Pyke to do the centre square and get Goodes doing the rucking around the ground. His work around the ground and second efforts will be superior to Mumford's. Great thinking and congratulations on your bravery. You will cop it Goods78, but I will be there with you and I'm use to copping it!
    Thanks Matt80. I think a fitter Goodes role when not in the ruck is a wingman / high CHF. After receiving the ball from our defenders he is the perfect player to be delivering a smart kick to advantage in to the forward line.