Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: vs Melbourne match thread

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    I agree about LRT. Reid will push him out next week.

snyway, we are up to 9th and percentage over 100. 1 game and 4% behind 4th.
    Your very positive Barry, but I don't think our form warrants it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    A wins a win.

I was impressed again with Rampe and Laidler. Rampe looks so impressive with the ball in hand. He is a great mover and never looks flustered. His delivery is improving.

The midfield performances of Jack, Kennedy, Hanners and Parker was strong.

Goodes looked sharp and still has that acceleration. He will get better in the coming weeks.

Tom D had his best game and is improving. He is giving a good contest.

I worry for LRT. We don't know which of Franklin, Reid or Tippett will be available next week. If two out of the three are available he will struggle to stay in. If all three are available then he will go out!
    I agree Matt80 except for Tom D. He is an insurance policy that gets more expensive every week.

Suspended by the MRP
    With all these niggles to key players is it time for some "informed playing management" against Brisbane, in preparation for Geelong and the Hawks. Tom Mitchell, Garry Rohan,Brandon Jack and ROK could give a good burst against a weak Brisbane, while we give some of those niggles a rest.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    3 positives from this ugly game - win, Goodes not getting hurt & Hanners running back into form.
    How can you miss 10 months of football and at 34 years old play like that first up - Goodsey never ceases to amaze me!!

Regular in the Side
    The Glorious Peoples Republic of Hookturnistan
    Is there a reasonable defender in the reserves at the moment?

I feel Reg has become the weak link. He is too loose, is lost in traffic too easily.

LRT - hmmm - time is up for the big fella. He no longer has a role, if Sam and Kurt are fit next week then there is no spot for him.

Tom D is doing the job as second ruck / changing forward.

Overall a scrappy win, where we were dragged down to the opposition level.
    sprite

That was the worst comfortable win I have ever seen the swans play.

The positives (these are hard to find)
    - We won easily even though we were pathetic at times
    - Rampe continues to get better, his run off half back and attack on the ball was excellent. He was my vote for our best player. Both Richards and Grundy had good games as well.
    - Goodes - not up to his usual excellent self, particularly when attacking the ball but it was great to see his use of the ball. It looked as though he held himself back in some of the contests but his skills still allowed him to compete but not dominate.
    - McGlynn worked his butt off.
    - Kennedy still worked hard even though he was infringed in nearly every ruck contest.
    - Bird played another great game - he reads the play well and seems to be in the right place at the right time.
    - Pyke played much better than previous weeks. Still not up to last years standard though.
    - I was pleased by the young guns - Cunningham and Lloyd. They worked hard both in attack and defence, particularly Cunningham. I agree that Lloyd should be given the ball more - he seems to use it well.

The bad
    - LRT looks beyond it, he did not have an impact on the game and looked slow. This is sad as he is one of my favourite players.
    - Our passing - how many times did we kick a slow loop to one of our players inviting Melb to get the ball, or just kick it to them. Very frustrating to watch.
    - The umpiring was woeful and I would have lost my top if I was playing the game.
    - Dericks looks awful in the rucks and slow and cumbersome otherwise
    - I would help our game plan if we kicked the ball between the big sticks. We missed too many easy chances.

That is one game that I will not be watching again - it is bad for my blood pressure....

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    With all these niggles to key players is it time for some "informed playing management" against Brisbane, in preparation for Geelong and the Hawks. Tom Mitchell, Garry Rohan,Brandon Jack and ROK could give a good burst against a weak Brisbane, while we give some of those niggles a rest.
    Who do you manage Matt80? If we rested Kennedy and Jack tonight we probably would have got rolled.

Blog Entries
    Lacklustre!!!

I thought Laidler was very good. Could be the next big thing in the recycled player category.
    Welcome back Goodsy, absolute class! Here's an idea, piss off Franklin and Tippett and give Goodsy a 20 year 30 million dollar contract.

Back from the game. Some of our guys were content to win wouldn't describe it as a100% commitment effort

Our midfield was really good. Hanners and Jack were very good. Royce Shaw, whilst frustrate ting did return to form

Pyke is struggling. Derrickx was ok cannot see him being under pressure to hold his spot. He was our starting ruck again.

Lloyd is a promising player. He was burned by his teammates a lot when he made goodmposition that will come with time. Can understand why he went through to they rookie draft.

We have three slower midfielders in Kennedy bird and Parker I cannot see ROK getting back in.

LRT not many players go on past 30 yo. He has been a warrior for us but I think that based on what we have seen many players will be ahead of him by the middle of the year. No way could he play ruck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Slade View Post
    That was the worst comfortable win I have ever seen the swans play.

The positives (these are hard to find)
    - We won easily even though we were pathetic at times
    - Rampe continues to get better, his run off half back and attack on the ball was excellent. He was my vote for our best player. Both Richards and Grundy had good games as well.
    - Goodes - not up to his usual excellent self, particularly when attacking the ball but it was great to see his use of the ball. It looked as though he held himself back in some of the contests but his skills still allowed him to compete but not dominate.
    - McGlynn worked his butt off.
    - Kennedy still worked hard even though he was infringed in nearly every ruck contest.
    - Bird played another great game - he reads the play well and seems to be in the right place at the right time.
    - Pyke played much better than previous weeks. Still not up to last years standard though.
    - I was pleased by the young guns - Cunningham and Lloyd. They worked hard both in attack and defence, particularly Cunningham. I agree that Lloyd should be given the ball more - he seems to use it well.

The bad
    - LRT looks beyond it, he did not have an impact on the game and looked slow. This is sad as he is one of my favourite players.
    - Our passing - how many times did we kick a slow loop to one of our players inviting Melb to get the ball, or just kick it to them. Very frustrating to watch.
    - The umpiring was woeful and I would have lost my top if I was playing the game.
    - Dericks looks awful in the rucks and slow and cumbersome otherwise
    - I would help our game plan if we kicked the ball between the big sticks. We missed too many easy chances.

That is one game that I will not be watching again - it is bad for my blood pressure....
    Good Summary.
    Goodes did hold of on the tough stuff hanging back to get the ball. Was great to see him back.
    You left off Shaw. Generally looked really good, but let himself down a few times with some really poor disposal as did McGlynn.
    Hanners, worked his butt of to get into the game and it showed.
    Jetta seems to either lack the speed or the confidence to run with the ball. Seems to get caught every time he tries. Woeful disposal as well.
    Parker was hot and cold.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by sprite View Post
    Is there a reasonable defender in the reserves at the moment?

I feel Reg has become the weak link. He is too loose, is lost in traffic too easily.

I can't agree with you sprite. Grundy is not our best defender, but he is not going anywhere. He gets the tough jobs every week on the monster forwards and resting rucks.

Our defence is the least of our worries at the moment.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Good crowd, just under 25,000 with a lot of red and white.
    Frustrating game to be at: messy, flashes of brilliance punctuating the endless clangers, turnovers, dropped balls, losing position... the list goes on.
    The midfield was not bad, worked pretty solidly, especially Hannebery, McVeigh, Kennedy and Jack. Parker contributed but his radar was off tonight. Jetta was good in patches, Harry was good and Lloyd should be a fixture with his kicking (despite one turnover) and positioning - exceptional in such a young player. Benny worked hard and will have better days; I think his goal had a settling effect for us.
    Ted was outstanding (I thought our best on field with McVeigh) and Mal was solid. Laidler and Shaw were patchy, both making good decisions at times, at other times horrible clangers that led to Melbourne goals. Smithy was generally good but also gave away a goal with a delivery straight to an opponent in the 50. Rampe was very good for most of his time on ground.
    Goodes lifted the team when he came on: his calmness, accuracy and sheer presence was enough to justify the cheers whenever he touched the ball. Buddy was Ok, his radar was off too, but he and Kennedy were never paid for the holding they put up with; I really admire their restraint.
    This team is unfortunately playing ugly football and I confidently predict they will not win a premiership if they keep it up ...
    Last edited by dimelb; 27th April 2014 at 12:27 AM.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast