Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 7 Changes V Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by GordonS View Post
    doubt anything is wrong with kieran, probs just BT making something out of nothing. same as the supposed jetta injury, just happened to be near buddy when he came off and so people made an issue out of it when it wasnt
    Kizza had padding on his ribs. He answered questions on the padding on Sunday's 'Before The Game'. I would not be surprised to see him rested when we have Tom Mitchell to come back and Lloyd has equipped himself so well. Could have had plenty of it if it weren't for team-mates going dibs with each other (yes I am talking about you Mal, Macca, shaw & Grundy).

So there could be a few players rested to get over sore areas. Kizza, Jetts, Macca & Buddy all have niggles that may be better with a rest.

We have a few we could bring in who all have seniors experience. Mitchell, ROK, Biggs (can also play wing as well as HB), Rohan, oh I forgot Tippett and Sammy. Nanka might be a player in the mid season to give a birth to get some experience.
    Towers is still playing well in the Twos and so is Membrey. So we have talent in droves just a matter of timing as to when to blood them. I think it would be a mistake not to blood some more players this year and get some game time into the likes of Biggs. Aliir as well down the track. Zac Jones is just starting to hit his straps but not ready for the big time yet. Nice touch giving the lad a sniff though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Reid needs a game in the reserves IMO. Tippett will probably not be ready. I never understand why there are calls for mass changes after we win. I know it was scrappy at times but it was still a win against a team whose entire game plan was to play for a nil all draw.
    Doctor people are just saying we may have some niggling injuries that would be better fixed before the Hawks match. Don't you agree that a fully fit team playing Hawks would be good? In that case rest a few players. They are not dropped just rested.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Resting players is for teams late in the season playing in the finals. We're nowhere that.
    Resting injured players just before a huge game like the Hawks is very normal. I personally would not like to see Buddy, Macca, Kizza or Jetts carrying injuries into the Hawks match. We will be destroyed and they can only get even more injured under the type of pressure Hawks will deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Doctor people are just saying we may have some niggling injuries that would be better fixed before the Hawks match. Don't you agree that a fully fit team playing Hawks would be good? In that case rest a few players. They are not dropped just rested.
    It would be a disaster to lose against Brisbane on the assumption we not only have the depth to cover for any outs to be rested but also the form to continue on and beat the Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If Tippett has been running, it must not be painful breathing, which means his crack in the rib is not very serious and he should be okay to play. Imagine he will be padded up like KJ.

If Tippett comes in, there is no point in having Derickx play, since Pyke will not be needed for forward line structure and can do the bulk of the ruck work. He will only have Trent West to go up against anyway.

I would play all the forwards if they are fit enough as it would be great to have a game to get them acquainted with each other before we play Hawthorn. There's no reserves game anyway to gain match fitness.

If all the forwards can play, we should drop TD and LRT. Not sure what we will do if we want to play Mitchell, because unless there is another injury concern (Macca is the prime candidate), it would seem Lloyd we be the next one out. I would like Lloyd get another game before Tommy Walsh comes off the LTIL, which will probably be after this week. Also will be difficult to pick the sub this week.
    Lloyd can still play even if Tommy comes off the long term injury list as AJ has done his anterior cruciate ligament and is not expected back until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Don't want them all in the F50. I want Buddy and Reid leading up to the wings, dragging defenders out of the F50, and leaving KT in one-on-ones?ideally against the number 2 or 3 defender (!)?closer to the goal square. Number 37, as far as I'm concerned, can do whatever he wants, although I do like it when he sets himself up behind stoppages in the attacking half of the ground, rather than working as a forward target. And we need to go one on one when the opposition tries to set up the loose behind the ball to make sure there is space for Tippett to lead to. Can't wait.
    YES! YES! YES! I like it. Can't work any other way. Also place a small crumbing forward at their feet. And maybe a medium size leading alternative as well for variety.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by billyboob View Post
    It would be a disaster to lose against Brisbane on the assumption we not only have the depth to cover for any outs to be rested but also the form to continue on and beat the Hawks.
    I agree, let's get the 4 points for this week and then worry about next week both games give the same number of points for a win.

Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    Don't want them all in the F50. I want Buddy and Reid leading up to the wings, dragging defenders out of the F50, and leaving KT in one-on-ones?ideally against the number 2 or 3 defender (!)?closer to the goal square. Number 37, as far as I'm concerned, can do whatever he wants, although I do like it when he sets himself up behind stoppages in the attacking half of the ground, rather than working as a forward target. And we need to go one on one when the opposition tries to set up the loose behind the ball to make sure there is space for Tippett to lead to. Can't wait.
    I disagree with you. If you look at how Hawks used Buddy in the years he kicked lots of goals it was actually leading out of the goal area to the 50 metre arc anywhere up to 60 metres from goal. Tippett is different as he can do either of two things, lead out of the goal square or set for the big mark.

Goodes has always been a player with lots of latitude to roam and plays his best footy that way. Reid can control the 50 to the centre and almost to CHB. The two players I want kicking my 50-60 metre goals are Buddy or Sammy. Young Lloydy is not too bad either. Sammy is also a good link up out of the backline and then tip need not even leave the forwardline. Better structure that way.

....as AJ has done his anterior cruciate ligament and is not expected back until next year.
    ...and the scoops just keep on coming!!
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Lloyd can still play even if Tommy comes off the long term injury list as AJ has done his anterior cruciate ligament and is not expected back until next year.
    But wouldn't that mean that we would be committed to a Lloyd upgrade for another 8 weeks, to the exclusion of others, such as Biggs? I thought we might want to give Biggs another run sometime.

With Shaws return to form the past 2 weeks, along with Rampe stepping up and Mal going along nicely , there isn't exactly a need for Biggs just at the moment I wouldn't have thought. Plus we know Maccas can go back if one of them goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by billyboob View Post
    Since when is resting injured players not a good thing? Billyboob I would rather have the players back for Hawks and not even more injured than they are now. By the way you don't think these players would be a good exchange?

In; Reid, Tippett, Mitchell, Membrey or BJ & Biggs.

Out; Macca, Kizza, Buddy, Jetts & LRT.

The fact is buddy will probably play but I would like to see Kizza, Jetts & Macca right for the Hawks game and playing them against Brisbane is not going to get them right. If those replacements are not enough to beat Brisbane I would ber very surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    ...and the scoops just keep on coming!!
    Well smartie tell the bloke who keeps saying Lloyd will have to go back to the twos because Tommy Walsh is coming back. He doesn't because of AJ's injury and he is on the long term injury list. Just thought I'd point out to the fella we do have long term injuries as he didn't seem to know.

It's an interesting selection conundrum....

Bring in -Tippett, Reid, Goodes and possibly Mitchell...All are coming back from injury and will be, to differing levels, underdone.

Do they bring them all back at once, in an attempt to find some cohesion ahead of the big games following Brisbane...

Or do they stagger their returns, so not to have them all coming back trying to find, the pace of the game, personal form,

teamwork etc, at the same time..

Adding to the already injured players McVeigh, Jack, Franklin. All of whom looked pretty ordinary post game last week.

Also, with no obvious replacement for Derrickx...No obvious player for Mitchell to replace.

This is one of those weeks where selections will be fascinating.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast