Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 7 Changes V Brisbane

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    To his credit, it looks like he has knuckled down and he looks much fitter now than a while back. Against Gold Coast, he didn't kick a bag but was working up and down the ground, and even played on ball for parts of the second half. The feed of the Brisbane game was too painful to really concentrate on (and stopped at half time) but early in the game he looked dangerous.

I reckon the club is not going to hand him out games lightly. They'll want to make sure his fitness is really up to scratch to play at senior level and that he has performed at a high level in the reserves over a decent stretch of time. If people think he's suited to come in and play the old ROK role (before he became an onballer), they need to remember just how fit ROK was, and how hard he worked.
    The Brisbane game in its entirety is on YouTube... I think - I've only watched Q1 so far which started a long way into the video.
    To that point ROK had about 5 dead-eyed-dick kicks... either significantly less pressure in NEAFL or he is already altering his game plan.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    The Brisbane game in its entirety is on YouTube... I think - I've only watched Q1 so far which started a long way into the video.
    To that point ROK had about 5 dead-eyed-dick kicks... either significantly less pressure in NEAFL or he is already altering his game plan.
    Only the first half. There's a post on that YouTube page explaining what happened to the second half:

Apologies to the viewers of the stream. Due to the ground playing commercial tracks Youtube shut down the stream due to copyright issues. In future the audio will be switched off in between? quarters to prevent this happening again.

Thanks Ugg.
    Despite the teething problems, I think they are doing a great job of filming these games and making them available to the great unwashed.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Cressakel2 View Post
    McVeigh & Jack won't be rested - captains don't get rested end of story!

McVeigh seemed fine throughout the match and has been playing reasonably well all season. A little hobble in the second half and some are crying out for the skip to have a rest. Give me a spell - it's AFL football not the Australian cricket team under Micky Arthur. McVeigh has earnt the respect of his fellow players & captains by his leadership, longevity & toughness. McVeigh will have to break a leg before agreeing to be rested. HE WILL PLAY.

As for K Jack, see above. No doubt he has some back/rib issues however each week he seems to be getting better and running extra kms. Also pretty sure Dad would not let him come over for dinner if he missed with a minor rib complaint...

The Bud should let the knee rest up for a week if Tippo & Reid are right to go. Let 'em all loose - Bud, Tippo, the great man & Reidy - against the Hawks next game.

I'd also seriously consider Membrey as the medium sized small as ROK is just about goooooooooorrrrnnn, unfortunately, and McGlynn is playing more of a midfield role.
    Absolutely spot on mate. Could not agree more on any aspect of this post!

Warming the Bench
    It stings seeing ROK playing in the 2's. I hope he comes back and plays some really good footy soon.

No U dy the feed only goes to half time. Just over two hours the same as the live feed which cut out at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    It's an interesting selection conundrum....

Bring in -Tippett, Reid, Goodes and possibly Mitchell...All are coming back from injury and will be, to differing levels, underdone.

Do they bring them all back at once, in an attempt to find some cohesion ahead of the big games following Brisbane...

Or do they stagger their returns, so not to have them all coming back trying to find, the pace of the game, personal form,

teamwork etc, at the same time..

Adding to the already injured players McVeigh, Jack, Franklin. All of whom looked pretty ordinary post game last week.

Also, with no obvious replacement for Derrickx...No obvious player for Mitchell to replace.

This is one of those weeks where selections will be fascinating.
    Mitchell is ready to go and Sammy has been training the house down. He hasn't been out for long so should be pretty right. Tip is another matter. He looked good in his only half of footy against Suns Reserves but then got a hairline fracture of the rib. He may or may not be ready. Goodes looked pretty good. Mitchell played a full game against Brisbane Reserves and was BOG apparently so he is up for it. Tommy Walsh is probably going to play his first game of Twos in two weeks. Until he is available for selection in the Seniors he is still on the long term injury list as reserves is a part of the progress I think, not quite sure on that.

Quote Originally Posted by billyboob View Post
    I didn't say that though.

The point I was trying to make is that the Swans aren't in any position to let the Hawks game have any influence over selection for the Lions game. We need the win over the Lions before any other consideration. If the coaching and medical staff think there is a chance of further injury to any player because of niggles they are carrying then that player is injured and goes on the injured list, they don't get rested just because we're playing a premiership contender the week after.
    My point was these players are playing injured which I personally don't like. They might be only bruises but they hurt and it would be better to get them right. Have you ever had bruised ribs? I have and it is really hard to breathe, very painful. Resting players to get them right is never a bad thing and if they carry those soft tissue injuries into a big game they might get injured even worse than they are. The other thing is the injury might be exacerbated in the Brisbane game due to Brisbane players knowing they are carrying those injuries into the game. Yes I am talking about players targeting an injured or sore player such as elbowing Kizza in the ribs constantly until he has to be subbed out of the game. Get the injuries right then come back. I notice Horse didn't even talk about Kizza, Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    No worries billy, I'd guess just about everyone except those who just don't want to listen knew only too well what your point was.

FWIW I agree 100%. The game against Brissy is worth 4 points as is the game against Hawthorn. Why you'd not do all in your power to get those 4 points on offer this week before worrying about how to secure 4 points off Hawthorn mystifies me...
    I don't see how we are going to be much worse off bringing in Reid & Mitchell for the injured Buddy & Kizza. If they are injured they should not be playing full stop.

Thanks Ugg.
    Despite the teething problems, I think they are doing a great job of filming these games and making them available to the great unwashed.
    Undy the NEAFL is a professional organisation not a volunteer body or NGO. The Streams have been a disaster this year. The Reserves v Suns game replay cut out vision half way through the last quarter and left only audio. One stream didn't happen at all. So far not good. I am not sure who does the streams but surely they would contract the job out. If it is volunteer it is a bit silly for a two state league.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Undy the NEAFL is a professional organisation not a volunteer body or NGO. The Streams have been a disaster this year. The Reserves v Suns game replay cut out vision half way through the last quarter and left only audio. One stream didn't happen at all. So far not good. I am not sure who does the streams but surely they would contract the job out. If it is volunteer it is a bit silly for a two state league.
    Its interesting that when we do get a good stream there is usually only 50-60 people watching. If there were thousands watching I imagine by selling some advertising it would pay for itself. I can understand why they don't really bother too much about the streams when so few are interested. I suppose if the quality was better more people would watch.

Not sure what this is doing in the "Changes" thread.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    My point was these players are playing injured which I personally don't like. They might be only bruises but they hurt and it would be better to get them right. Have you ever had bruised ribs? I have and it is really hard to breathe, very painful. Resting players to get them right is never a bad thing and if they carry those soft tissue injuries into a big game they might get injured even worse than they are. The other thing is the injury might be exacerbated in the Brisbane game due to Brisbane players knowing they are carrying those injuries into the game. Yes I am talking about players targeting an injured or sore player such as elbowing Kizza in the ribs constantly until he has to be subbed out of the game. Get the injuries right then come back. I notice Horse didn't even talk about Kizza, Interesting.
    And fair play to, if you take the field you are fit enough. I'd expect our players to do the same (test it out, not haymaker punch it ). Hitting a player coming off injured is another story.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast