Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do Dees get away with it!!!!!!!!!!!

What I don't understand about this is why can't a contract be renegotiated? If a contract is extended or the terms are changed by mutual consent, doesn't that change get reflected in the TPP? Suppose Buddy quits because he want to pursue another profession, a Formula One racecar driver for example; why should his forfeited salary be included in TPP.

And where are the answers to any of these sort of questions answered?

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    Is there such a thing in AFL contracts as exit clauses for serious injury, bringing the club in to disrepute etc?

I know the players used to receive a match payment in addition to a salary. Could the Swan's have paid a very high match payment and a lower salary to Buddy to get around the issues of injury etc?
    They still receive a match payment for each game, but the figure is specified by the CBA so we couldn't change it greatly- we could include (and may have) a non guaranteed portion of the contract that is triggered based on the number of games he plays, so in theory that might not get paid if he doesn't play them- but I believe that potential payout has to be factored into the salary cap anyway.

Just on minimum game incentives- Tippett was reported as having a clause for a 2 year extension on his contract for playing an average number of (or minimum) games per season. 20 I think? You'd assume there was something to cover the sanctions last year, but I wonder if this year makes him nervous (if that clause exists)?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    What I don't understand about this is why can't a contract be renegotiated? If a contract is extended or the terms are changed by mutual consent, doesn't that change get reflected in the TPP? Suppose Buddy quits because he want to pursue another profession, a Formula One racecar driver for example; why should his forfeited salary be included in TPP.

And where are the answers to any of these sort of questions answered?
    A player can certainly re-negotiate a contract when his initial one expires. But terms of the initial contract can't be. He is drafted under these terms & the TPPs are reflected thusly. Otherwise a player could price himself out of other clubs reach and then immediately change the contract to make it more affordable.

I have no idea about the following hypothetical way around a Buddy-type situation, but a player like Tippett, who wanted to change clubs & had a specific club in mind, could nominate for a ridiculously high & unaffordable (to most other clubs) 2 year contract and then when that expired renegotiate an extension for another few years at a far more reasonable rate. He would, in fact be better off having a front end loaded contact as he would benefit from compound interest earning.

I'll give an example of a situation:

A player is contracted through 2015 at 400k per year. The contract is renegotiated this year and extended another year until 2016. The salary is renegotiated at 600k in total for the years 2015 and 2016, so the salary is increased in total by 200, but divided over the remaining years of the contract. So the player takes a 100k cut in 2015 to get 300k in 2016. Is there anything wrong with this? And what would be included in TPP for the years 2015 and 2016.

In the above case the salary is decreased in one year. But suppose the club decided to increase the salary of the player in 2015. I am sure that would be included in the TPP, so logically, a reduction should be as well. You often hear about players taking salary cuts to keep other players from going elsewhere (Geelong). So I would imagine these cuts would go to adjusting the TPP, or else it would be pointless.

That change was done becaise of wretchmond and darren gasper. He nominated $275k and renegotiate d as soob as he reached richmond

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    No offence but that's a fairly ordinary OP considering the vastly different circumstances involving the two players.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    They still receive a match payment for each game, but the figure is specified by the CBA so we couldn't change it greatly- we could include (and may have) a non guaranteed portion of the contract that is triggered based on the number of games he plays, so in theory that might not get paid if he doesn't play them- but I believe that potential payout has to be factored into the salary cap anyway.

Just on minimum game incentives- Tippett was reported as having a clause for a 2 year extension on his contract for playing an average number of (or minimum) games per season. 20 I think? You'd assume there was something to cover the sanctions last year, but I wonder if this year makes him nervous (if that clause exists)?
    Thanks very much. Some interesting strategies here!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Far as I can tell with Buddy the problem isn't him being paid out if he retires early. His manager has publicly stated that he won't be paid out if not playing. It's that his salary will continue to be included in the TPPs for the extent his contract (regardless of what money he does or doesn't receive & regardless of the reason of his retirement).....
    That is interesting. I guess with a side like us that struggled to make any profit any cash saving is a good thing. Only a single whammy if buddy goes down!

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    That change was done becaise of wretchmond and darren gasper. He nominated $275k and renegotiate d as soob as he reached richmond
    One of my all time least favourite Swans !!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12