Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Round 8 changes V Hawthorn

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    This is true, but the fact is that our next 5 opponents are all difficult ones, so if they don't play against Hawthorn, then we have to try it against Essendon, or Geelong. So there really isn't an easy solution to this. I was hoping that they could all play Brisbane, but it wasn't to be.

On the positive side, they are all experienced players who have a pretty good idea of what to do on the footy field. Only Tippett hasn't played this year, and he showed that he can come right in after a long layoff and play well, as he did last year. Buddy is a 190 game player who has only missed one game, similar to playing after the bye, so he hasn't missed much.

Goodes, Buddy and LRT have never played a game with Tippett, and Reid only played the few minutes last year before he re-injured his quad. So there has to be some starting point where they introduce themselves to each other.

Playing all 4 big forwards is similar to the usual Hawthorn setup, such as last year when their usual setup included Buddy, Roughy, Hale and Gunston (so similar or our big 4). It also may force Hawthorn to play Schoenmakers as a defender, making it easier on our defence. Hawthorn have a short defence. Geelong exploited this, and hopefully we can too.

We have to trust out medical staff that if they are declared fit to play, they are truly fit to play.
    Our 4 prong attack will dominate if three things occur:

1) Our midfield and half back line gets on top.

2) One of the key attackers (probably Franklin) keeps Gibson out of the play. With Lake out, the Hawks defence will rely heavily on Gibson flying in 3rd man up. If Buddy does not compete in one contest, but neither does Gibson, our attack will dominate. I would back Tippett, Goodes, Reid against Schoenmakers, Stratton and Cheney. I think Gibson will follow Buddy wherever he goes instead of his usual preference of reading the play (which he is brilliant at).

- All attackers have got to defend well. They can't let guys like Gibson and Burchill space to pinpoint left footed kicks out of defence.

Warming the Bench
    Sorry if someone has already covered this topic.

Who will play 2nd ruck for Tommy? Will they bring back LRT or will Sam have to pinch hit?

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    That made me think of Winston Burchill.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Our 4 prong attack will dominate if three things occur:

1) Our midfield and half back line gets on top.

2) One of the key attackers (probably Franklin) keeps Gibson out of the play. With Lake out, the Hawks defence will rely heavily on Gibson flying in 3rd man up. If Buddy does not compete in one contest, but neither does Gibson, our attack will dominate. I would back Tippett, Goodes, Reid against Schoenmakers, Stratton and Cheney. I think Gibson will follow Buddy wherever he goes instead of his usual preference of reading the play (which he is brilliant at).

- All attackers have got to defend well. They can't let guys like Gibson and Burchill space to pinpoint left footed kicks out of defence.
    Agree. It's all about applying pressure and working harder and longer then your opposition. If we apply the Geelong model of playing man on man, applying pressure all over the ground and not allow them to have numbers in defence, I think we can beat them. Making the most of our opportunities in front of goal is crucial as well.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    The fans have spoken Mr Koala.
    What, like 18000 turning out, at 'White Elephant Park', for a final a few years back?

It's a dog of a ground for players and spectators alike...

All I hope, is the shameful surface won't leave us with injuries.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I think we will go in with a pretty simple plan - Goodes and Tippett in the square and Reid and Buddy on the circle with the mids told to move it on quickly, relying on our forwards winning a one on one. Whoever Gibson is marking will take him away from the contest. If they try to get Gibson spare we need to add another forward to give him something to worry about. I think we will use K Jack as the small crumbing forward - a nightmare of a match up for them.

With this combination I am confident that we will win more than out fair share of one on ones even with the lack of match practice together.

14 pages and it's still 26 hours before the game starts. Well done tragics!
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    In Tip Bud
    out Pyke BJ
    EMG LRT BJ towers

Sydney Swans v. Hawthorn
    ANZ Stadium
    Friday, May 9, 2014

B N.Smith, T.Richards, D.Rampe
    HB N.Malceski, H.Grundy, R.Shaw
    C D.Hannebery, C.Bird, K.Jack
    HF L.Jetta, L.Franklin, B.McGlynn
    F H.Cunningham, A.Goodes, L.Parker
    Foll T.Derickx, J.Kennedy, J.McVeigh
    I/C J.Laidler, J.Lloyd, S.Reid, K.Tippett
    Emg B.Jack, L.Roberts-Thomson, D.Towers

In: L.Franklin, K.Tippett
    Out: M.Pyke (hamstring), B.Jack

Is it weird that Tippett is on the bench?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Sydney Swans v. Hawthorn
    ANZ Stadium
    Friday, May 9, 2014

B N.Smith, T.Richards, D.Rampe
    HB N.Malceski, H.Grundy, R.Shaw
    C D.Hannebery, C.Bird, K.Jack
    HF L.Jetta, L.Franklin, B.McGlynn
    F H.Cunningham, A.Goodes, L.Parker
    Foll T.Derickx, J.Kennedy, J.McVeigh
    I/C J.Laidler, J.Lloyd, S.Reid, K.Tippett
    Emg B.Jack, L.Roberts-Thomson, D.Towers

In: L.Franklin, K.Tippett
    Out: M.Pyke (hamstring), B.Jack

Is it weird that Tippett is on the bench?
    SUB ALERT. SUB ALERT

I guess Reid will do a little ruck unless Horse was lying and it's Tippett

I would guess that Lloyd will be the sub. It's a huge game. All the big names will want to play.

As a sub he's a bit limited isn't he? Too fragile to ruck. Won't need fresh legs to stand in the goalsquare for 20 minutes. I like the idea of pitting Tippett, Buddy, Goodes and Reid against Shoey, Stratton and Gibson.

Not that I question the wisdom of the Man They Call Horse.