Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 8 changes V Hawthorn

Really looking forward to this game. K Jack was a revelation up front last week and adds to our forward structure - can also swap with McGlynn if he needs a rest. I think we will win this as our mids are now working together and go deeper and will work hard to pressure the kicker.

In: Tippett, Franklin (if fit)
    Out: Pyke, BJ (for Franklin)

Tom D much better in second half last week, I did not realise he had only played 6 games. Maybe LRT will come in as second ruck but I think we will only play with TD in ruck.

Their injuries really stuff up their structure, particularly in the forwards and make them containable.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Agree with Lizzie
    And said it here last week , there will be lots of goal kickers without Buddy who didn't look right at the bit of training they showed.
    He'll fit in eventually ...

Goodes as a tagger to go to Gibson - all day, everywhere

Suspended by the MRP
    In - LRT Tippett

Out - Laidler Pyke

LRT will be able to help down back, where they will need an extra tall and in the ruck. I don't want Laider playing against Gunston or the resting Hawks ruckman.

B.Jack can be the sub again, recognising the fact that he got over two quarters of game time last week.

I would be disappointed to see LRT come in for Laidler, who has been solid so far in defence. LRT has been out of from and hasn't played a game in defence for a quite a long time. And he's just a makeshift ruckman anyway, not likely to do better than anyone else we throw in there. And I'm not sure why one might think LRT would do a better job on Gunston than Laidler would.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    In - LRT Tippett

Out - Laidler Pyke

LRT will be able to help down back, where they will need an extra tall and in the ruck. I don't want Laider playing against Gunston or the resting Hawks ruckman.

B.Jack can be the sub again, recognising the fact that he got over two quarters of game time last week.
    Laidler needs to stay. He'll never develop the skills needed to play against the best in the league if he doesn't get the opportunity to play on them.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would be disappointed to see LRT come in for Laidler, who has been solid so far in defence. LRT has been out of from and hasn't played a game in defence for a quite a long time. And he's just a makeshift ruckman anyway, not likely to do better than anyone else we throw in there. And I'm not sure why one might think LRT would do a better job on Gunston than Laidler would.
    I think Liadler has been good, but it's about defensive match ups. Grundy to Roughead, Richards to Gunston, Rampe to Bruest, Smith to Rioli, Shaw to Puoplo. You need someone to match up against Hale or Macvoy. It's either Laidler or LRT. I would back LRT in that match up, remembering the great job he did against Tippett 18 months ago.

LRT also gives you something in the ruck. Sam Reid is not a ruckman and expecting Tom D to go the whole game against these two highly accomplished ruckmen, is to great and ask. Remember Tom D is lining up for AFL game number 9!

I think Liadler has been good, but it's about defensive match ups. Grundy to Roughead, Richards to Gunston, Rampe to Bruest, Smith to Rioli, Shaw to Puoplo. You need someone to match up against Hale or Macvoy. It's either Laidler or LRT. I would back LRT in that match up, remembering the great job he did against Tippett 18 months ago.

LRT also gives you something in the ruck. Sam Reid is not a ruckman and expecting Tom D to go the whole game against these two highly accomplished ruckmen, is to great and ask. Remember Tom D is lining up for AFL game number 9!
    I agree with this.

Reid isn't a ruckman, his body wouldn't be up to it for starters. Laidler has been going really well, but due to the need for a back up ruckman, LRT fits the bill.

It also means we can leave Reid at CHF, with Tippett deep forward, and Goodsey(if fit) floating between the 2.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Warming the Bench
    In - LRT Tippett

Out - Laidler Pyke

Well reasoned Matt80 - I like the changes

Senior Player
    Nankervis got a mention in the "in the mix" article. Outside chance they mention. I'm sure he won't be selected but it's interesting to see him mentioned

Regular in the Side
    matt80 I disagree with your matchups. Laidler would be a good match for Gunston leaving Richards on Roughead and Grundy for Hale. Derickx even if completely stuffed would be a better ruckman than LRT who has never shown anything as a ruckman. LRt has really only one position that suits him and that is as a key defender and Ted and Reg are well ahead of him now. He is now just a depth player.

In - Tippett, Franklin, LRT
    Out - Pyke, Laidler, B.Jack

LRT will be needed as a back up ruckman and the 3rd tall in the backline to cover the rucking and forward marking ability of Hale and McVoy. This will allow Grundy to play on Roughead, Richards to play on Gunston, Rampe on Breust and Smith on Cyril.

When LRT goes into the ruck, then Sam Reid can switch down back and cover the resting ruckman.

Laidler has done nothing wrong, but there is no clear match up for him this week. I certainly would no feel comfortable with him playing on Hale. He comes straight back into the team when the opposition has a smaller forward line.

Franklin's one job against the Hawks is to drag Gibson away from the play. I would not care if Franklin got no touches as long as Gibson had no influence. You would then back Tippett, Goodes and Reid to beat the remaining defenders one on one, as it's likely the Hawks won't have Lake.

I would play Cunningham as the Sub as Lloyd gives you more as a midfielder than Cunningham.
    Laidler will play on Gunston.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast