Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Round 8 changes V Hawthorn

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    The word from some regulars who watch the reserves is that despite some good performancesToby N is not yet ready for senior AFL Football.

He is only 19, and it would be tough to throw him in against high quality ruckman like Hale and McVoy.

Depending on injures, I would like to see Toby N get a game later in the year against an opposition with a weak and depleted ruck structure.
    what is the point of playing Toby against weak or depleted opposition. that will never give us an idea of what he is capable of or more importantly it gives us a false impression.

Quote Originally Posted by southsideswan View Post
    Fantasy/supercoach leagues give a rough indication on how players are going. You are right Lloyd was 10th with 97 pts. If you go by the points then Lewis Jetta was above Parker, Malceski, Shaw, Bird, Goodes, McGlynn etc. and 1 point behind Rampe. From my limited knowledge, and this is definitely not a bag Jetta comment, the fantasy points should not be used to relate to real life contributions.
    I agree Fantasy points are bull@@@@. If you really want to rate the players have a look at what the coaches are saying. Lloydy didn't make the top 4 but certainly got mentioned. he got 29 disposals and all but two were beauties. He had an effective disposal percentage of 82.8% on 29 disposals and only Jared McVeigh was better with 88.6 on 35. Tell you anything? Tell you who he mirrors? what he has to do is learn to draw the senior players like Reid & Goodes to his kicks as they are not used to him yet. Buddy seems to know naturally what the kid will do and moves reflexively. I think the big Bud is a greater student of the game and both his opponents and team-mates than people give him credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Champion Data.

Macca 135
    KJ 133
    JPK 130
    Hanners 123
    Rampe 115
    Jets 114
    Mal 112
    Shaw 110
    Parker 102
    Lloyd 97
    Champion Data wouldn't know if their bums were on fire.
    How can a player get 29 disposals at 82.8% and only get 97. Mindboggling. Jetts got 22 at 68.2%, Shaw 27 at 77%, Kizza 26 at 65.4%. Just how do they work this figure out? By the way the play also sees Lloyd as clearly our fourth best, watch the replay, maybe Champion data should do that.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    I guess what i'm saying is Lloyd had a good contribution for a new player but probably not worthy of a Rising Star nomination.
    Why do you say that. He got 29 disposals at 82.8%. What is not Rising Star about that for ****'s sake! He was fourth in disposals, second in efficiency and kicked a goal. His candy dance in the BP was sensational. If this had been Gary Rohan or Tom Mitchell Aardvark you would have been spitting chips if they didn't get a nomination with those numbers. in fact Mitchell did get a nomination with those numbers and his efficiency was not as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I think Liadler has been good, but it's about defensive match ups. Grundy to Roughead, Richards to Gunston, Rampe to Bruest, Smith to Rioli, Shaw to Puoplo. You need someone to match up against Hale or Macvoy. It's either Laidler or LRT. I would back LRT in that match up, remembering the great job he did against Tippett 18 months ago.

LRT also gives you something in the ruck. Sam Reid is not a ruckman and expecting Tom D to go the whole game against these two highly accomplished ruckmen, is to great and ask. Remember Tom D is lining up for AFL game number 9!
    I hate to tell you but Grundy ALWAYS gets the job on the resting ruck. Laidler stays on Gunston, Richards to Roughead and this will be a good match up for Teddy.

We're not overflowing with choices.

Derrickx - 204cm 96kg - our entire senior ruck department for now
    Tippett - 201cm 105kg - won't be risked in ruck
    LRT - 194cm 92kg - excellent swingman but out of form, maybe carrying an injury
    Reid - 196cm 95kg - swingman in the making, no known ruck experience
    Nanko - 199cm 101kg - only played half a dozen reserves games. The biggest body available.

LRT looks the safest, especially with his defensive abilities.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I hate to tell you but Grundy ALWAYS gets the job on the resting ruck. Laidler stays on Gunston, Richards to Roughead and this will be a good match up for Teddy.
    Laidler has been a good pick up, but does not have the close marking capability to go with Gunston. LRT playing down back would allow Richards to shut down Gunston. You saw how good Gunston was in the 2013 GF. He requires a full on key defender.

Bring Laidler back in when there is a smaller forward structure!

Laidler will play on Gunston.
    Not necessarily.

Rampe could also play on Gunston.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Not necessarily.

Rampe could also play on Gunston.
    I'm not sure, but I think Rampe played on Gunston a few times last year, and Gunston had good games against him. But Gunston has been playing well against lots of opposition. He's a difficult matchup because of his mobility. We really don't have an obvious matchup for him, but Laidler looks the best option. Someone like Rohan might do well, but I doubt he will be selected.

The matchups will depend on the Hawthorn selections. With Lake out, it would seem that Shoenmakers will play back, probably on Tippett, with Gibson and Stratton going with Reid and Goodes. That would leave Hawthorn playing 3 tall forwards, instead of the 4 they tend to go with when they have the personnel on board. All their other forwards take turns in the midfield, Luke Breust for example, which would make for a better matchup for Rampe.

Another option would be to play Laidler as a loose man in defence, but this setup doesn't seem to suit us, because it will probably leave Hodge in that spot for the Hawks; I think we loose that strategy.

Derickx will just have to go with McEvoy. We really don't have any other options. The Hawks will probably want to keep Hall forward as much as possible, so the backup ruckmen shouldn't be getting a whole lot of action.

Cyril has been running hot, and playing more through the midfield, so will be another big challenge for Smitty.

This is a season defining game for us. We are nearly at full strength. They've got a few key injuries. We are (technically) playing at home. They deserve to be heavy favourites, but it's a winnable game for us, and one we should win if we are serious premiership contenders. Geelong shows that it can be done.

I am concerned that a night match + forecast for rain over next two days likely to mean slippery conditions. We don't play well in these circumstances as our losses this year have shown. But the best teams can adapt so we need to be able to do so as well.

Senior Player
    Why do you say that. He got 29 disposals at 82.8%. What is not Rising Star about that for ****'s sake! .
    It does seem it take a few good games to get a nomination. He will get there soon at this rate!

Why do you say that. He got 29 disposals at 82.8%. What is not Rising Star about that for ****'s sake! He was fourth in disposals, second in efficiency and kicked a goal. His candy dance in the BP was sensational. If this had been Gary Rohan or Tom Mitchell Aardvark you would have been spitting chips if they didn't get a nomination with those numbers. in fact Mitchell did get a nomination with those numbers and his efficiency was not as good.
    I guess the AFL has a different view to you Wolfie.
    Chip on Tom Langdon's shoulder serves Pies' Rising Star well - AFL.com.au

The 189cm young gun displayed terrific composure as he gathered 23 disposals ? including 10 contested ? with eight marks and four inside 50s in the Pies' 34-point triumph.

The difference I suppose is Langdon was nearly BOG where Lloyd was only our 10th best player.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast