Thread: Female goal umpire on the weekend

Female goal umpire on the weekend

This young lass looks about 12 years old. Obviously she is not. I have seen her a couple of times now

I remember when Chelsea Roffey first started what a lot of publicity there was, and then she became the first female goal umpire to do a grand final (ours).

Is this a good thing when the young lass I referred to above gets no mention? Does this mean that it is becoming more commonly accepted and not worthy of publicity?

Blog Entries
    I had no idea there was a second female umpire until a news article on Monday relating to Women's Round where they spoke with Both Chelsea and Rose O'Dea.
    (And YES, she does look like she is 12)

I found this article from the 1st of April 2014
    Female goal umpire prepares for AFL debut - AFL.com.au

I thought from the interview that they may be umpiring together in women's round. Maybe I misunderstood. I can't seem to find any proof of that.

When prompted about the possibility of umpiring on GF day, Chelsea was quick with the response "We're both available that day".

I believe Rose O'Dea was one of the rotating group of goal umpies who did our preseason game in canberra (from memory she is based in CBR), I remember her umpiring in that game.

and yes, looks like they're umpiring the 10 May game at the MCG between Melbourne and the Dogs.

177th Senior AFL Match - Round 4, 2009 - Sydney vs Carlton, SCG. This is obviously out of date. I suppose I'll update it once I could be bothered sitting down with the fixture and working it out....
    Des' Weblog

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yes she's from Canberra and has done plenty of Neafl games