Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Round 8, Sydney v Hawthorn

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I was tempted to start a new thread in praise of Parker, but I'll stick in here instead. At the start of the year, I reckoned we needed at least one more mid to step up to the Hanners-JPK-Jack-McVeigh level to ease the workload off that group towards the end of the year. Parker has played some mighty fine footy since almost his first game, but you still sensed he was a notch down. He's now well on his way to joining that group. He probably won't make AA this season - its a tough gig to crack, especially if you're not a glamour name in the competition, but as an ultra-consistent, goal kicking midfielder he's certainly putting his case forward.

The moment I was prepared to mentally don the gold jacket last night was when two Hawks players were converging on a loose ball just outside their forward 50. A clean take-away would likely have created them a scoring shot to keep the pressure on Sydney. In comes Parker. He doesn't make the mistake of anticipating a Hawk gaining possession to give away a free. Instead he makes the ball his only focus. He doesn't get possession himself, but propels the ball away from the central corridor towards an area where the Swans had more numbers to create an even contest.
    Not to mention the contested marks he takes.
    Seems to bob up unexpectedly, or takes the tough marks that most would drop.

Excellent summation of Parker, Liz. He'd be close to the most influential player on the ground last night.

Regular in the Side
    The Good: great game by the boys... aside from the inaccuracy we dominated pretty well.

The Bad: Eddie Macguire on the fox footy coverage was absolutely pathetic last night. totally unprofessional.. if he cannot separate his Collingwood role to his media role, then he should not be doing it/... Even my wife listening in the background made comment about it... simply could not let it go...

Quote Originally Posted by robamiee View Post
    The Good: great game by the boys... aside from the inaccuracy we dominated pretty well.
    The Bad: Eddie Macguire on the fox footy coverage was absolutely pathetic last night. totally unprofessional.. if he cannot separate his Collingwood role to his media role, then he should not be doing it/... Even my wife listening in the background made comment about it... simply could not let it go...
    We've instituted the " mute if eddie's talking"rule in our house, if the commentary is otherwise tolerable. It says something that both Adam Goodes and Richard Colless were both prepared to publicly admit their dislike of Maguire. It's not often done in footy media circles, and you'd have to think there is quite a lot of long term bad feelings floating around.
    Eddie must have done some really seriously unacceptable actions that we don't know about, as well as the offensive and insincere statements of which we are aware.

Regular in the Side crackedactor's Avatar

Joining in

I was tempted to start a new thread in praise of Parker, but I'll stick in here instead. At the start of the year, I reckoned we needed at least one more mid to step up to the Hanners-JPK-Jack-McVeigh level to ease the workload off that group towards the end of the year. Parker has played some mighty fine footy since almost his first game, but you still sensed he was a notch down. He's now well on his way to joining that group. He probably won't make AA this season - its a tough gig to crack, especially if you're not a glamour name in the competition, but as an ultra-consistent, goal kicking midfielder he's certainly putting his case forward.

The moment I was prepared to mentally don the gold jacket last night was when two Hawks players were converging on a loose ball just outside their forward 50. A clean take-away would likely have created them a scoring shot to keep the pressure on Sydney. In comes Parker. He doesn't make the mistake of anticipating a Hawk gaining possession to give away a free. Instead he makes the ball his only focus. He doesn't get possession himself, but propels the ball away from the central corridor towards an area where the Swans had more numbers to create an even contest.
    I would also like to sing the praises of Parker. When the game was on the edge is when he made some great hard tackling and that lunge for the ball to knock it away from two hawthorn players in the last quarter was fantastic

Veterans List

It was a breath-taking moment wasn't it? He was there at all the "big moments" in the last quarter - seriously among the top young mid-fielders in the game.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by crackedactor View Post
    I would also like to sing the praises of Parker....
    I have mentioned this somewhere else a few weeks ago, but you would have to think Parks' would be at least in the top three for the B&F at the moment. At the start of the year when the rest of the midfield was off the pace he was pretty much the only one to be playing well and he has just gotten better since then.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

agree Liz

Parks for me is becoming like a Michael Voss type midfielder or a Mark Rusciutto or a Nathan Buckley

Some of his courageous smashing thru tight spaces to offload to our fast moving midfield was just awesome last night !!

Parker is a 21 yr old man playing in a kids body............... every since I saw Parks first playing I thought here is a 200 game player because his decision making, hardness, competitiveness, kicking, marking, vision and all round football ability is simply A1A !

Awesome recruiting and very fortunate he was still available at pick 40 cause i just love watching the kid play football for the swans.
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Was fuming because I got stuck in Canberra, courtesy of cancelled and delayed flights, and didn't get to the game. Stupid bloody work trips. Anyway, I watched it on IQ on delay so didn't miss anything other than the first 10 minutes, when the wife realised she'd recorded the pre-game show rather than the game and started to record it properly! I was so delighted after the win that I waited up for a mate who'd been at the game and we watched the whole thing again on replay. It was a brilliant performance that was only close because of our errant kicking for goal. Great games by so many players. Let's hope we can keep that going against the Bombers before we get a well earned week off.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    agree Liz

Parks for me is becoming like a Michael Voss type midfielder or a Mark Rusciutto or a Nathan Buckley

Some of his courageous smashing thru tight spaces to offload to our fast moving midfield was just awesome last night !!

Parker is a 21 yr old man playing in a kids body............... every since I saw Parks first playing I thought here is a 200 game player because his decision making, hardness, competitiveness, kicking, marking, vision and all round football ability is simply A1A !

Awesome recruiting and very fortunate he was still available at pick 40 cause i just love watching the kid play football for the swans.
    Add 100 games to that and you'll be closer - I'll be very surprised, if he gets a good run with injury, if Parker isn't a 300 gamer by the end of his career.

I think he would be very close to leading our B&F at this stage - he has had a fantastic start to the year. His attack on the footy is top rate, and like Hanners, when he is going to mark, he has no sense of self worth or protecting himself, just all eyes on the ball. That moment in the last quarter when he managed to get the ball to the swans advantage in a 2 to 1 was a great piece of good footy smarts combined with a focus of 'the ball only.'

He is quickly turning into a very, very good player - and he is still only 21!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    agree Liz

Parker is also the best overhead mark in the Swans side. If Franklin possessed Parker's overhead making ability he would be better than Wayne Carey.

I would like to see Parker occasionally isolated at Full Forward with some space. He could do a lot of damage in that situation. It should only be done occasionally as a change up.

Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    I thought the same thing. Barring injury or some other calamity, I can't see LRT or ROK getting back in the team. Sad to see our TLAs go this way. It must be great having two players of their quality to teach the youngsters in the magoos though.
    Does anyone know if ROK has any coaching aspirations? Maybe next year he could be an assistant coach (with us?) Sounds like from the NEAFL reports that both he and LRT are coaching the reserves on field vey nicely.