Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Round 7: Sydney Swans Reserves v UWS Giants

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That really is a thumping of a pretty good (on paper) GWS side.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Goal Kickers: T. Membrey 4, D. Towers 2, L. Roberts-Thomson 2, L. Perris 2, T. Nankervis , G. Hewett , D. Robinson , T. Head
    Best Players: M. Dick, T. Membrey, T. Nankervis, D. Robinson, Z. Jones, H. Marsh

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Goal Kickers: T. Membrey 4, D. Towers 2, L. Roberts-Thomson 2, L. Perris 2, T. Nankervis , G. Hewett , D. Robinson , T. Head
    Best Players: M. Dick, T. Membrey, T. Nankervis, D. Robinson, Z. Jones, H. Marsh
    Okeefe and Rohan not in the best players.. Particularly worried about Rohan in this regard... It's very intertexual.

How did Tom Mitchell go? Really wanting him to regain form and force his way back into the seniors.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezball View Post
    Okeefe and Rohan not in the best players.. Particularly worried about Rohan in this regard... It's very intertexual.
    Not sure you've quite got the hang of 'intertextual' yet...

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that list of best players. I posted earlier in this thread that it was almost impossible to pick the best players because it was really just a good team effort. But I wouldn't have picked out Dick as one to highlight. He did some decent things but was less prominent (to me) than many others.

I would have picked out Rohan as one of the better players. He played off half-back and was lively. He showed he knows how to use his pace to attack the free ball spilling out of the defensive 50, and provided good drive forwards. It is a good position for him, probably one that better uses his talents than the forward line. Our half-back line will need to replenish itself in the near future with Shaw coming close to the end, and Malceski maybe with only a year or two left in him, given age and his knee history.

ROK was a good solid body around the contest. Got a lot of possessions, used it pretty well. Nothing outstanding to suggest he's about to regain his senior spot but solid. He's almost certainly being marked against a different set of criteria when it comes to being named amongst the best.

Nankervis and Membrey are two on that list who I do think deserve to be there. They've each had more dominant games but, still, were very valuable contributors. Membrey, in particular, becoming a more rounded player, with his work rate and defensive pressure.

Those who've never seen a reserves game should try and get along to see one from time to time, especially one against an AFL reserves side, where the pressure and structures are slightly more AFL like than against the Canberra sides. It gives you a real sense of the style that the senior team is trying to implement, with quick swarming ball movement between the 50m arcs. It comes unstuck at times, both at senior and reserves level - but slightly less often at reserves level as the opposition pressure isn't at the same level.

Liz or Ugg, how did Tom Mitchell go?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I'll second Liz's comments above. I got to the stadium early and really enjoyed watching the twos. It is particularly good hearing the on-field voices. Rohan looked good off half back flank, moving well until he started cramping, and offering plenty up the wings. ROK looked solid, falling back as spare across HB and was the dominant voice, positioning the rest of the team. It was great watching him and LRT mentoring the rest of team. Mitchell seemed switched on, and there are a couple of huge units rumbling around: Patrick Mitchell and Nankervis are immense.

Veteran Site Admin
    Yep, agree with O'RB's comment re Mitchell - both Mitchell comments. But Tommy looked good. I didn't take much notice of how much inside (especially centre bounce) work he did, but in a little space, he found a decent amount of the ball and there was no obvious sign of an ankle hindering him. I don't suppose it will be long before he's back in the senior side, notwithstanding the fact Lloyd is doing a reasonable job in what is probably Tommy's spot.

Well done Reserves and Ugg.

Pretty amazing that Tom Mitchell can't get a game in the As for now. I saw Longmire talking last week about the need to build up midfield depth after last year's experience when the mids carried a heavy load because of the injuries to forwards.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not sure you've quite got the hang of 'intertextual' yet...

I wouldn't pay too much attention to that list of best players. I posted earlier in this thread that it was almost impossible to pick the best players because it was really just a good team effort. But I wouldn't have picked out Dick as one to highlight. He did some decent things but was less prominent (to me) than many others.

I would have picked out Rohan as one of the better players. He played off half-back and was lively. He showed he knows how to use his pace to attack the free ball spilling out of the defensive 50, and provided good drive forwards. It is a good position for him, probably one that better uses his talents than the forward line. Our half-back line will need to replenish itself in the near future with Shaw coming close to the end, and Malceski maybe with only a year or two left in him, given age and his knee history.

ROK was a good solid body around the contest. Got a lot of possessions, used it pretty well. Nothing outstanding to suggest he's about to regain his senior spot but solid. He's almost certainly being marked against a different set of criteria when it comes to being named amongst the best.

Nankervis and Membrey are two on that list who I do think deserve to be there. They've each had more dominant games but, still, were very valuable contributors. Membrey, in particular, becoming a more rounded player, with his work rate and defensive pressure.

Those who've never seen a reserves game should try and get along to see one from time to time, especially one against an AFL reserves side, where the pressure and structures are slightly more AFL like than against the Canberra sides. It gives you a real sense of the style that the senior team is trying to implement, with quick swarming ball movement between the 50m arcs. It comes unstuck at times, both at senior and reserves level - but slightly less often at reserves level as the opposition pressure isn't at the same level.
    Thanks Liz. Great description beyond what you get from the simple best list. Much appreciated in particular for us Melbourne based followers who never get to see the reserves.

Ps. I was trying to make a joke with my intertextual reference. Seemed funny at 5am when I wrote it, not so much when I woke up!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    You can get stats off the Footy Live App (not the official AFL Live app just to be confusing)

ROK 36 touches 6 marks 7 tackles
    T.MItchell 20 touches 1 mark 7 tackles

which is a greater discrepancy than i was expecting. But for these two it's not about their form, but looks like they'll have to bide their time and wait for an opportunity.

Nankervis was the one that really stood out for me, not just his ruckwork but his agility and work around the ground too.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Thank you ugg, liz and others who have commented. Always appreciated down here, as Gezball says. I'm very pleased Horse is determined to develop depth in the midfield; I think in the contemporary game that's where you are sunk without it.

And go the big Nanny! And the Big Mitch.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast