Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coming to the SCG for the first time.

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar

Coming to the SCG for the first time.

Hi all.

Me and my son are coming over to Sydney for the Swans v Geelong match. Just a few questions if I may. We`ve never been to the SCG so,...........

(1) What`s the bag checkers like? Do they go through everything or are they slack like at Subi oval?

(2) We have GA tickets for Gate E, Bays 14-17. Is the viewing ok there and or can you move around easy if there are spare seats around the place?

(3) We are staying at Bondi Beach. Do you know the bus numbers to get from there to the game and back again?

(4) Any good pubs to hang out before and after the game near the SCG?

Hope the weather is kind to us.

Cheers

Scotty
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.

Senior Player
    What are u trying to get past the security?

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    What are u trying to get past the security?
    Just what sort of food and drinks do they allow........

Veteran Site Admin
    Almost all the buses from Bondi Beach go up Bondi Road, through Bondi Junction and onwards down Oxford Street. You'll need to spot where others wearing red and white get off the bus and follow them from there, because you can't actually see the SCG from bus level on Oxford Street. One or two of the buses from the beach may go up Old South Head Road instead of Bondi Road but they still go up to the Junction. Just avoid a bus saying it is going to Five Ways. Not sure of the numbers but one of the Bondi buses does that and it will take you somewhere you don't want to go.

In terms of food, they don't seem too fussed. There aren't the same commercial food outlets outside the SCG as there are outside grounds like the MCG and Ethihad. At those grounds, they certainly seem to stop you bringing that food in, but packed lunches, anything from a supermarket etc seem to go fine. I've never had trouble even bringing in a coffee from one of the Fox Studios outlets into the SCG, unlike other grounds (eg Manuka) which have prevented me bringing even that into the ground.

They will prevent you bringing in alcohol, if it is apparent that's what it is.

Happy and I know it
    Bag checkers at the gates are lookng for alcohol and glass - neither are allowed. We bring in plastic bottles and thermos flasks.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Goes up to 11
    Get a 380 bus down Oxford St and ask to get out near Paddington Town Hall - it's an easy walk down the hill and past the football stadium (next door to the SCG) from there.

Incidentally there are a few good pubs along that Paddington stretch of Oxford St too....

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Get a 380 bus down Oxford St and ask to get out near Paddington Town Hall - it's an easy walk down the hill and past the football stadium (next door to the SCG) from there.

Incidentally there are a few good pubs along that Paddington stretch of Oxford St too....
    Great. We`re staying in a flat right next to the Campbell Pde Terminus so it looks like the 380 goes right from there.

Coming to the SCG for the first time.

The light brigade hotel in Paddington/woolhara does a really good schnitzel with amazing sauerkraut

Re point 3 - Just be careful not to get into any street fights with media owners or network CEOs. It's a rough place!
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Bag checkers at the gates are lookng for alcohol and glass - neither are allowed....
    No cans as well. As Erica said, plastic bottles are fine as are just about any food items in bags or tupperware type dishes.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

With GA tickets. Is it just first come first served? Sit were you want? Because at Subi oval every ticket has a seat number.......

Unfortunately I havent been to a home game for a while but I'm also going to the Geelong clash and have some tickets for Bay 1, Row M. Anyone have any idea what this seating is like??
    Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast