Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review - the Super Group

Veterans List

Review - the Super Group

No, not LRT-Walsh-Nankervis-Membrey, the other Super Group. How did they go?

My thoughts:
    - KT was fantastic against an under-sized defence, but will be shattered if he's our only "pack target" down there - perhaps partly a role for Myke when he returns? (though it looks like they want the ruckman on the pine when he's not rucking)
    - Buddy look like a man released on Friday - no longer the only show in town and loving it. Still went to him too often and when he had too many defenders on him, but against a team other than the Hawks he'll kick a million goals on that form.
    - Goodes struggled the most - seemed to be grappling with what his role was, and maybe that's because no one quite knows yet. What he did do was often pretty damn good tho!
    - In some ways Sammy was the most impressive. Other than centre bounces, his ruck work looked quite sharp and he looked well up & about (certainly compared to the week before!). Almost held a number of great grabs - may yet be the cream of the crop!

How did others rate them?

I actually like KT as the option for pack mark; he's obviously an elite contested mark and not the greatest speed so if we can't hit up Buddy, Reid or Goodes on the lead, that's a good way to go!
    Reid is an great at getting his hands on it in a contested situation. He'll get better with experience though.

Goodes will take time with such a long time out but if he can stay healthy he'll be so important all around the ground, he seems to be brilliant every time he gets the ball.

Buddy is Buddy - he'll win us games like that, or he'll be completely shut off defensively. Which allows the other 3 to be open (which is a win either way, because the other 3 are still very, very dangerous) buddy has also got better at contested marks which was a week point at Hawthorn!

Reid was very impressive; showed good signs in ruck, took a couple of good marks down in defence and he'll get better up forward with experience - Reidy is very important to us!

Love having these guys in one team, very hard to match up on. They all move very well for their size, even Tippet for his size I reckon could turn a lot of ruckman around.

Hopefully they all stay healthy!

Veteran Site Admin
    As a first outing it was a pretty reasonable effort. I was worried they would be totally un-cohesive first up but they all seemed to understand their roles and there wasn't too much getting in each others' way. We did butcher some chances by either looking for Buddy when a shot by a midfielder would have been a better option, or by just general indecisiveness.

It needs to get better but I am confident it will, even if there are weeks in the short term when it works less effectively than on Friday.

No need to comment individually on the big 4, because they're all very good, and some even great. You can see from the performance the incredible potential of Tippett and Buddy working in tandem. When they are on, they are the best at their positions. Tippett is a monster forward that kicks better than Cloke. And Buddy is ................... well, ...... Buddy. He's unique. There's never been another one quite like him. I wouldn't say he's better that Goodes, but definitely in the same class. Players like Adam and Buddy don't play a position, they create their own position.

I was pretty damn excited at the first quarter.
    However, there was a huge element of that coming from the midfield.
    Still if you forget about Buddy's behinds, we're looking a bit ominous.

Last time Goodes came back it took a long time for him to really get going. Not saying that will be the same again, but it could be a slower road than we would hope for.
    With Pyke back, and the 4 or 5 talls rotating through the forward line, it will possibly create a very hard forward structure to effectively match up.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    On ch 7's Game Day Andrew Welsh was commenting on our game and said the Swans forward line could be the best ever.
    He also said Hannebery is back - very observant.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Any big 4 or similar needs a moniker of sorts. The simplest way is to use initials and then manipulate them until you get something you like. To that end, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Sydney STAB!!

(That's Sam, Tippett, Adam, Buddy)
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    As a first outing it was a pretty reasonable effort. I was worried they would be totally un-cohesive first up but they all seemed to understand their roles and there wasn't too much getting in each others' way. We did butcher some chances by either looking for Buddy when a shot by a midfielder would have been a better option, or by just general indecisiveness.

It needs to get better but I am confident it will, even if there are weeks in the short term when it works less effectively than on Friday.
    There was alot of looking to hit up a man on the lead from people running INSIDE 50. Have a shot FFS!
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Any big 4 or similar needs a moniker of sorts. The simplest way is to use initials and then manipulate them until you get something you like. To that end, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Sydney STAB!!

That's pretty good!
    Just as well you didn't use all first names ...
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    That's pretty good!
    Just as well you didn't use all first names ...
    Shhhh don't let the Melbourne Media get a hold of that one, they'd have a field day!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post

BATS??

Or SKAB

Or.... BASK in the Bondi sun.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast