Thread: Campbell Heath - another knee injury

Veteran Site Admin

Campbell Heath - another knee injury

Was sad to read that Campbell Heath suffered what is thought to be a season ending knee injury in the SANFL over the weekend. Presumably that means he's probably done an ACL again. Footy can be cruel game.

Injury Update: Monfries OK but SANFL injuries a concern

Blog Entries
    Some peoples knees just don't seem to be up to the rigours of footy.

I hope it is not too bad.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Poor guy, would that be 3 in 4 seasons?
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Heath has had LARS surgery after rupturing the ACL in his right knee.

The procedure was Heath's third knee reconstruction, having previously ruptured the ACL in his left knee twice.

The Power's high performance manager Darren Burgess confirmed Heath is considered a chance to return later this year.

?[Heath] was pretty keen to go with the LARS as he's had some success with that in the past."

Veteran Site Admin
    In some ways it's good news that it's his "good knee" rather than the LARS rupturing. I certainly think it is good news for LARS - there is still a general sentiment against it but until a decent number of players are prepared to take the plunge, there will be no way of telling if re-rupture rates are higher or lower than those of traditional reconstructions (or if there are longer term complications from LARS). If LARS does prove to be at least as reliable as the traditional method, it would be a significant step forward for managing this kind of injury. Not only does it significantly shorten the rehabilitation period, there must surely be benefits of not having to take a piece of tissue from the hamstring or other part of the anatomy.

Hopefully Heath can make a speedy return from this latest set back. I had really hoped that the move to a new club would kick start his career because I really loved watching him play. His competitive in one-on-one contests against players taller and bigger all around than him was reminiscent of Craig Bolton. Sadly for him he's landed at a club that has suddenly become very strong, meaning the greater opportunities for senior football that he must have hoped for haven't eventuated. But I'd still like to think he can extend his career for a while yet, even if he needs to move to a third club to achieve it.