Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thursday night games at the SCG

[QUOTE=Swansongster;641932]I don't think this is true. I was in New Orleans the night before the Saints played Oakland and there were (literally) Raiders fans everywhere. Not a room anywhere in town. Not a vacant seat at any bar or restaurant in the French quarter and Bourbon Street was jam-packed all night. New Orleans maybe a more popular destination than an away game to Cincinnati or Cleveland (or Oakland for that matter) but Saints home games are huge tourism business for the locals.

WHO DAT !

My brother lives in New Orleans...It's like that every week the Saints play at home.

Americans love to travel in their own country and the Crescent City is a No. 1 destination.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Suspended by the MRP
    The Yanks also have a greater population with less professional football teams to follow

There are 32 professional NFL teams per 280 million of population. We have 22 million people supporting 18 AFL teams, 5 Super Rugby Teams, 10 Soccer Teams and 14 NRL Teams. That's a total of 47 professional Football teams per 22 million population. The Yanks have an extremely vibrant college football system and a professional Soccer competition.

Australia is a heavily saturated marked compared to the USA. That may explain why you never see empty seats at an NFL game.

We must compete like hungry dogs for any fans or any T.V audience.

MNF is big in the States as it was the first timeslot that was not Sunday afternoon, hence huge interest from the get-go which has remained ingrained in their culture.

Reading this thread is a tad emabarassing. Sure, not everybody can go, but nor can everybody attend Saturday arvo games. Just because it doesn't suit you doesn't make it wrong.

My two girls under the age of 8 have been under strict instructions to be unconscious every night this week by 8pm or there is no footy for them. They are excited to oblige. The game is starting earlier than normal so they will be in bed before 11. I think we can cope with that once a year!

Instead of complaining, try getting excited for one of our biggest games of the year!
    And the man who started it all, the Schneiderman . . . . .

Senior Player
    And here I was thinking we were asked for a personal opinion on tomorrow night and future seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    I'm playing basketball at 8.45pm. WHAT ABOUT ME!???!?!!
    I would suggest that more people play Saturday afternoon sport than basketball at 8.45pm on Thursdays. WHAT ABOUT THEM?!?!?

That is my opinion.
    And the man who started it all, the Schneiderman . . . . .

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Claret View Post
    I would suggest that more people play Saturday afternoon sport than basketball at 8.45pm on Thursdays. WHAT ABOUT THEM?!?!?

That is my opinion.
    They only have kids comps on Saturday afternoons

Adults play Sunday night through Thursday night.

See the senselessness in the changes!?!??!

*Not sure if tongue in cheek coming across....*

I will be there, even though it will cost me for accommodation for the night as it is 2 1/2 hours on the train back to the Mountains - and 1/2 an hour to get to Central as well.

Hopefully some of the millions who tune in to State of Origin rugby league tonight on TV will watch our sport on Thursday night.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I'll still go, but I don't have to like it.

Totally agree about not doing something just because they do it in the US, we have to play to the strengths of our own game and AFL has always been the best sport to attend live as a spectator, I think the best way to showcase that is by playing during the day. I go to night games and enjoy them (more so Saturday nights) but day games still provide the best experience for the fans IMO.

Minor whinge: I wish that they would go back to starting night games at 7:10 rather than 7:40 or 7:50 -- the later finish always seems to screw up your bus/train connections going home after the game. I know they do it because the networks like to show it live from 7:30 but starting half an hour earlier wouldn't hurt would it?

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The Saturday night games start time had to be moved to 7:50 to accommodate the end of the twilight game and I assume the Friday start time was moved to make it uniform.

Senior Player
    My major beef about tomorrow night's game is the conflicts. Sydney Vivid is on and pulling up to 100,000 into the city every night. The Swans will get 35,000 or so to the SCG. The normal Thursday night late shopping crowd plus the chaotic daily commute home add a few zillion more.
    So the poor guy coming from either the north side or the south will hit an impenetrable wall around 630 on.
    The Govt has advised against using cars or ferries..trains and buses will be dreadful.
    A tiny bit of AFL planning could have avoided the Vivid at least. And I'll forgive not realising that Thursday is late shopping night in NSW, not Friday as in Vic.
    I suppose we can be grateful that there is nothing at the stadium next door.

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    My major beef about tomorrow night's game is the conflicts. Sydney Vivid is on and pulling up to 100,000 into the city every night. The Swans will get 35,000 or so to the SCG. The normal Thursday night late shopping crowd plus the chaotic daily commute home add a few zillion more.
    So the poor guy coming from either the north side or the south will hit an impenetrable wall around 630 on.
    The Govt has advised against using cars or ferries..trains and buses will be dreadful.
    A tiny bit of AFL planning could have avoided the Vivid at least. And I'll forgive not realising that Thursday is late shopping night in NSW, not Friday as in Vic.
    I suppose we can be grateful that there is nothing at the stadium next door.
    I don't believe for a second that AFL House have any idea what Vivid is....
    -

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    I don't believe for a second that AFL House have any idea what Vivid is....
    I didn't until this week and I live in Sydney.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast