Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Thursday night games at the SCG

Thursday is late night shopping in Vic to, I doubt that's even a consideration , nor should it be

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Thursday is late night shopping in Vic to, I doubt that's even a consideration , nor should it be
    Look, if Victoria was so great then Bondi would be there!

I don't like the Thursday night window, but that's mainly because it's forcing me to miss being there this time. If it works for others and there's a good turnout then good for the AFL, I guess.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Look, if Victoria was so great then Bondi would be there!

I don't like the Thursday night window, but that's mainly because it's forcing me to miss being there this time. If it works for others and there's a good turnout then good for the AFL, I guess.
    Oi you! We've got South Melbourne Beach!

The waves aren't as big, but at least we don't get sharks. Careful you don't tread on a stingray but.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I would of loved to have gone, but for anyone out of town, a Thursday Night (Or a Monday night game) game is a no go, without taking time off work for it. And frankly, that wasn't an option I could take, even if I wanted to.

Would love to be there tomorrow night, but will be settled in at home watching it on telly. Carn the swannies!
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    I forgave them that..just as well. But it does increase road traffic substantially.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I have had to take a bus to Randwick on Thursday nights for the past 18 months. The bus passes the SCG around 6.10 and I find that it's usually quite hectic around Anzac Parade and Moore Park around that time. I think it could be quite chaotic tomorrow in the hour leading up to the first bounce.

But I digress. I started the thread to find out whether others were as unhappy as I was and I think the majority of you are. I can understand the scheduling if there was a good reason behind it, e.g. the Anzac Day matches being played on Anzac Day itself so sometimes you get a Tuesday or Wednesday game but even then there's the benefit of it being a public holiday. To schedule this game on this particular Thursday doesn't seem to have any rhyme or reason behind it except for raking in the cash for the TV rights at the expense of the fans actually attending the match.

I love it....as a once off marquee type game. The draw came out 7 months ago so plenty of time to plan ahead for this game. Yes it takes me an hour to get in to the ground, longer to get home, yes its a work night blah blah blah.

Its 1 game everyone...and it should be a beauty!! I cannot wait to get out to the SCG tomorrow night!!!
    Swannies for life!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Yes it's going to be a beauty (hopefully), but it would still have been a beauty had it been played on a Saturday night.

I only live a 20 minute walk from the SCG so it's no problem for me.

One thing I've noticed over the past year having travelled around the US is that other cities have a much stronger culture of weekday attendance at sport/music/comedy etc. than Sydney. I put this mostly down to our horrible public transport system.

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    I didn't until this week and I live in Sydney.
    You need to get out more.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

I actually don't mind Thursday night games - I'm bucking the trend.

I like how I can still have a full weekend.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampersand View Post
    I only live a 20 minute walk from the SCG so it's no problem for me.

One thing I've noticed over the past year having travelled around the US is that other cities have a much stronger culture of weekday attendance at sport/music/comedy etc. than Sydney. I put this mostly down to our horrible public transport system.
    The Yanks are more fanatical and passionate about their sport. I went to an NFL game in 2009 (New York Giants V Oakland Raiders at the old Meadowlands). This was a regular season game and the atmosphere was the most intense and energetic I had ever encountered at a sporting venue.

I've seen Australia go 2-0 up against Iran in 2007, I've seen Malceski snap a ball over his shoulder in 2012. Think about this two moments and imagine the rush of it occurring my a whole 30 minute period.

When the Giants were 30 points ahead the energy went out, but the intensity early on was amazing.

I posted that the AFL should recruit some NFL administrative talent into the AFL senior ranks and I still believe that.

The NFL is the most professional football system in the World and we should learn from that. Monday night and Thursday night football need to be embraced. People who don't embrace Monday or Thursday night football believe that the pubs should stay closed on Sunday!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast