Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFL hall of Fame

Regular in the Side

AFL hall of Fame

Does the fact that Mickey O is now the Swans Academy Coach count against him. # years retired is that from playing or involvement. Some of last nights inductees retired in the same year, Brad J now has his old job. It all seems waited to the last 5-10 years of retirees. Suggest there are many who deserve it from earlier years. I could name some swans if need be.

Seriously Brad Johnson. What a joke

Michael o'loughlin 18 finals won 9 lost 9 3 grand finals one premiership 36 goals in finals

Brad Johnson 21 finals won 6 lost 15, 18 goals

What a joke
    Last edited by Reggi; 5th June 2014 at 05:44 PM.

cant work it out Mickey O was a better player?

Goes up to 11
    I thought all the inductees were very worthy and good on them for such an honour. They deserve it.

Micky O deserves to be inducted too so hopefully his time will come before too long.

Agree with jono they were all worthy receipients and would love to see Micky O be inducted also. Brad Johnson was a very good player and seems like a good bloke, plus to play 360 odd games says a lot, it's huge.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Seriously Brad Johnson. What a joke

Michael o'loughlin 18 finals won 9 lost 9 3 grand finals one premiership 36 goals in finals

Brad Johnson 21 finals won 6 lost 15, 18 goals

What a joke
    More finals wins than fellow inductee Richo, I would assume. Brad Johnson was a very, very good player that played 350+ games- it would have been nice to see Mick go in, but Brad is very worthy of the honour.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Richo scored 800 goals. Not suggesting Johnson was abad player. He falls way short of 'Hall of Fame' his football achievements are zero really.

In reality he was a flat track bully, by no means a great

On the Rookie List
    I think they consider how many b and f's at their club too. BJ has 3, MO has 1 but who knows. Itd be funny if they had some crazy mathematical formula to decide who.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've just taken a squiz- Brad kicked 558 goals whilst playing up the ground enough to have averaged around 20 disposals a game across 364 games. That's pretty decent.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

I am a bit non plussed here. MickeyO not in the Hall of Fame? Yet? His list of achievements is the stuff of legends, and yet, ..... nada.

This needs to be addressed. Anyone know what we should be doing?
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Senior Player
    MickyO will eventually be included but an unfortunate incident in Adelaide a few years back when in the company of Adam Hueskes may still be a little fresh in the panels mind. I may be wrong but weren't Carey and Ablett delayed as well because of off field issues. Also bit rough to use Brad Johnson as your basis for comparison . He would have been welcomed in red and white and is well respected by all. Doggies supporters will tell you of many an occasion where he has made unheralded visits to club fund raisers and the like.
    Also worth noting Brad was over a nine year period a six times All Australian including once as captain something Micky achieved just twice early in his career.
    Don't get me wrong MickyO is an absolute legend and it was a pleasure watching him in the Swans guernsey and for sure his time will come BUT that doesn't make the " Smiling Assassin " any less worthy.
    Last edited by Faunac8; 7th June 2014 at 09:56 AM.

MickeyO played in two Grand finals, and has a Premiership Medallion from a 72 year premiership drought GF , held the club record for the most games played for the Swans (303) until Adam and Jude took over, is an All Australian, Club Champion, kicked 521 goals, Indigenous Player of the Century, Coached the Flying Boomerangs, Coached the indigenous IRS, was awarded the AFL Players Madden medal in 2009, runs the GO foundation with Adam, is Coach to the QBE Sydney Swans Academy, and may yet become our first Aboriginal AFL Coach. I could go on. The other matter you refer to happened in 1996, and the person involved has subsequently said he wasn't involved.

The AFL have not honoured him yet because......no known reason. He retired in 2009.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast