Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: NEAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    This is an excellent post and idea with great merit. Essentially, use NEAFL as a vehicle to get some crowds to the footy besides just Swans (+ a couple to GWS games...) and hopefully help it support itself. Including AFL Sydney games (definately Penrith ones) on those fixtures where possible might also be positive.
    If we are going to have the NEAFL then we may as well use for its proper purpose which should be to provide some local focus on the local footy.

OK, so the Sydney Uni and Baulko games will be like Third Grade matches (warming up for the reserves) but even the standard of the Students was waaaay better than that of the current SFL which has quite frankly descended to old SFA level.

It would be unrealistic and impractical to get all Swans games at Drummoyne as a double header with the Students. It also wouldn't be fair to the Swans fans that enjoy getting to the SCG early.

I do think it would be realistic, however, to get 5-6 games there, and likewise for Baulko. Market it properly as Friday Night Football, I mean really market it (advertise on Fox Footy, in local press) get the AFL to throw some clout behind the concept.

Maybe if these become showcase type games with decent crowds turning up then NEAFL could become a showpiece for the local sport rather than just a vehicle for AFL clubs to run their ressies in. Hey even Sydney Uni could get some crowd support if their 300 players are able to support their ones rather than having to go and play themselves.

Financially it should be a no-brainer of a success. Even I would be happy to donate $10 entry fee to Sydney Uni if I got a free programme, sausage sambo and a drink. Run a decent raffle, have some pre-match functions, try and get some decent money into the local game.

The current NEAFL is a joke but I saw something I liked on Saturday and I reckon a lot of people like me would be regulars at Friday night football in Balmain, followed by a few beers at The London. Granted, most of it centred on the Swans but if Baulko and the Students can coat-tail them then why not?

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Spot on, you nailed it. We spend $300k on paying players. I don't know how you found that out but you did. Bravo! Such a brilliant mind.
    Why are the QLD clubs so much stronger, the salary cap would be the same as for the NSW ACT teams

Better football up there, neafl is flawed, theory is good but not practical. Act clubs hate it, it is set up purely for the afl reserves. How can u have a ladder where the qld clubs which are clearly stronger potentially miss finals because they play limited games against syd and act clubs.

lol who the hell is going to pay to watch syd uni and baulko play on a friday night? I'd rather watch paint dry.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    lol who the hell is going to pay to watch syd uni and baulko play on a friday night? I'd rather watch paint dry.
    You are right of course but if they are warming up for the Swans ressies I'll go along and watch....

I just wish you'd stop being so anti-NEAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Hole In Bucket View Post
    Why are the QLD clubs so much stronger, the salary cap would be the same as for the NSW ACT teams
    To be honest I have no idea what the salary caps are but I know that we spend nowhere near $300k on player payments. We don't have that sort of money - an Aspley or Southport though, they have clubs with pokies and dedicate some of that profit to footy. As do some of the ACT clubs I guess. Yes we are part of SUSF and get some money from the AFL but we have nowhere near the capacity of those clubs to raise that sort of cash. Sponsors are difficult to attract, and we obviously don't get any gate takings or the like. But on the other hand we have access to off-field facilities that the other clubs would be jealous of.

I think the other thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the number of Qld teams got chopped in half so I'd imagine Aspley and Redlands got a few more NEAFL quality players in from Morningside and Mount Gravatt.

Anyway, we'll keep plugging away - if we can finish ahead of the ACT teams and Hills I think we'd be happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    You are right of course but if they are warming up for the Swans ressies I'll go along and watch....

I just wish you'd stop being so anti-NEAFL
    How many people do the swans ressies get? 300? How many would go for a warm up for the swans ressies? lol.

I'm not really anti NEAFL. I'm hardly involved in sydney afl, played about 30 games over the past 4 years so have nothing against either club, I'm just realistic about the interest by the general public (and most other sydney clubs).

$300k is what the AFL funds the teams to enable them to compete ... I'm pretty sure the players do not get a lot of that.

It's not a matter of bagging the NEAFL concept - a second tier comp that is better than SAFL is a necessity for the games development in Sydney, likewise for South Queensland, as well as being needed by the 4 AFL franchises ...

It would not have been difficult to cover those needs when designing the concept. But, instead, it was hastily thrown together, as if the decision had been made that afternoon.

So please do not back slap the lightweight yes men who decided on the structure ... they got it wrong, and they continue to get it wrong, and do nothing about it.

It has nothing to do with scheduling games, although they have NFI about that either.

It really is not that hard.

There should be 2 Sydney teams, they should feed from the Swans and GWS zones, they should be age limited (say maximum of 6 players over 23 yo on each list). They would be picking up the overflow of the 2 academies, the 18 and 19 yo's who miss out in the draft, and provide them with another realistic alternative for development and showcasing their talents ... rather than going to WAFL, SANFL or VFL, which they do now. The teams would naturally generate interest, as they would be RELEVANT AND REPRESENTATIVE of ALL OF SYDNEY.

It wouldn't matter if the 2 teams were East Coast Eagles and Sydney Uni or Manly and Wests or Auburn and Penrith ... the original stupid decision to have 2 elite teams drawn from existing SAFL clubs (which was simply a short cut) immediately alienates people who are NOT aligned them. Everyone else in Sydney has their allegiance to one of the other 20+ Sydney clubs, and simply do not give a rats ass about the NEAFL teams or games ... and they are avoiding them in droves.

But hey, lets just do it all exactly the same next year and see if anything changes!!! ... and while we are at it, we will let Manly call themselves Giants ... idiots.

You have a point, I'd be more inclined to head along to a NEAFL game if it was a Sydney team rather than an existing club. I live 5 minutes from Purser and couldn't care less about what's being played there, and I love local footy! NEAFL results get a cursory glance on a Monday, nothing more from me.

Warming the Bench
    Come down and have a look Pekay and you may just get an insight of what it's all about in the NEAFL. It wont hurt you to step outside your comfort zone and at least come away with an informed opinion rather than an emotive one.

In fact the Eagles this year are starting to attract more interest from the locals at Home Games with a strong contingent of support coming from the Kellyville / Rouse Hill JFC. Plenty of family's are now making a day of it on the hill with their kids able to watch good local football. Lucky for us that they continue coming regardless of the on-field results.

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    $300k is what the AFL funds the teams to enable them to compete ...
    Really? And who told you this?

No idea about what happens at Hills but Uni wouldn't have received that much in the past three years combined. Including travel costs.

Perhaps if it didn't clash with my own club commitments I would, but I've enough on my plate on Saturdays.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast