Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: NEAFL

It is an urban myth that ostriches stick their head in the sand when they are confronted ... when in fact it is well recognised as the standard reaction of AFL administrators in Sydney.

Really Tim? ... the locals are now starting to come? ... anyone figure out why? ... wonder how many families there are from all over Greater Western Sydney, with kids playing junior AFL, who DO NOT give a rats about Baulko Football Club at any level, and never will? ... and accordingly will never have an interest in NEAFL.

Hazard a guess and say they outnumber the Kellyville/Rouse Hill diehards by thousands to one.

... and that simply validates my point, as supported by Pekay ... the locals will only support a team that is REPRESENTATIVE OF THEMSELVES, and DOESN'T INTERFERE WITH THEIR OWN COMMITMENTS.

Let's take it to another level ... if the Swans or GWS match clashes with your u/12's club game, what do you do? ... pretty simple isn't it!

However, if that NEAFL team happens to be representative of THE WHOLE GWS ZONE, and is "shared" amongst those stakeholders, by scheduling games at various GWS clubs during the course of the season, either as a curtain raiser to the club's seniors game, or as the main event, then those days can be promoted to their local junior clubs and community, as "events" by the clubs!

... imagine the GWS Zone Squad (we will run a contest for a name - no one from the AFL gets to decide!) v Swans Reverves as the 6pm game under lights at Rosedale next week after Moorebank v Blacktown ... omg, tara would have a crowd of a couple of thousand given a few months to organise it!!! ... there would be jumping castles, kids everywhere, standing room only, even I would go to that and pay for a VB and a pie ... hell I would hire a corporate box!

If you did that and simply planned it, who knows, you might even end up with families and juniors from Camden, Campbelltown, Penrith, Liverpool, Parramatta, Blue Mountains, etc ... maybe even Manly! who will not only attend NEAFL matches sparingly, and maybe even develop a passing interest, but also galvanise them to their local SAFL Club ... god forbid!!!

... did I forgot to mention Bankstown ... sorry, that's right, there is no AFL in Bankstown ...

The situation from the perspective of Sydney Uni and the Swan's Zone is far worse and much more of a concern, as the junior and family numbers who are spurning it are 20 times that of GWS ... but who cares so long as there is a second Sydney AFL Franchise up and running and everyone is getting paid for doing there job.

Sydney AFL admin. - Exclusive, short sighted, insular, amateurs ... that's how you will build it ... NOT!
    Last edited by unconfuseme; 6th June 2014 at 09:56 PM.

Correct Unconfuseme
    Sydney Hills should be a one team club and Baulko should be a Sydney AFL club.
    All Seniors and junior clubs under the pathway should have a stake in SHills. Rotate catering and hosting rights between the pathway clubs similar to the SAFL finals system.

A Swans aligned Sydney Central team should be a one team club .
    (St G, UNSW UTS Syd Uni , Wests , Mac Uni ,Balmain, Power, Randwick North Shore and Manly plus all the junior clubs which feed into them )
    Sydney Uni being a SFL club only.
    A compulsory membership fee per player from all patheay Auskick, Junior and Senior player registrations should be pushed to the Neafl rep team to assist funding. This would instantly give the peak team a genuine membership base in the thousands to market to .
    And give thousands of AFL fans in Sydney some ownership in a NEAFL team to follow and perhaps aspire to play for.

Regular in the Side
    I had the impression that the grant to the NEAFL teams in the first year was less than $100k. Has this since spiralled? I know the AFL realise that Sydney footy at this level will never be self sufficient and always require a direct injection of funds. $300k sounds excessive though.

Regular in the Side
    The day that the Swans appeared north of the border was the day that the local Sydney footy comp took a massive negative hit. It took over 20 years for Sydneysiders to embrace this team as their own rather than be South Melbourne with a name change.

29 years later the local comp has taken another negative hit. Any top young player has the opportunity to outclass an opposition Swan or Giant reserve grader in front of an AFL coaching panel. Why wouldn't all the good young players join SU or SH? But will the local clubs ever embrace the competition or the promoted local teams. Unlikely.....but maybe in another 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Boy View Post
    I had the impression that the grant to the NEAFL teams in the first year was less than $100k. Has this since spiralled? I know the AFL realise that Sydney footy at this level will never be self sufficient and always require a direct injection of funds. $300k sounds excessive though.
    Correct. It has increased slightly for this year as far as I know, but would be lucky to be a third of the 300k figure.

Does it really matter if it's $3 or $3 million dollars, if the model is wrong? ... it's just pi$$ed up against the wall anyway!

I'm sensing a lot of negativity against the NEAFL here.....

Basically it is a competition to feed the AFL Clubs and despite the feeling of superiority it gives the likes of Sydney Uni it ultimately gives little back to the local comp.

I have said this before and I'll say it again. The AFL should have expanded the SANFL into a 14 comp team with the four AFL teams playing there. The truly elite players in Sydney and Brisbane not on AFL lists could have been recruited as SANFL topups and given a genuine chance to show their AFL credentials which they do not get playing in the NEAFL.

But if we must have it then have the double headers like we had a few weeks ago......

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    Does it really matter if it's $3 or $3 million dollars, if the model is wrong? ... it's just pi$$ed up against the wall anyway!
    If that's your opinion, then no it doesn't. But if you're going to make outlandish claims that I know to be completely incorrect I feel obliged to stick up for my club. I'm sure most would do the same.

It's got nothing to do with your club Student, and you're being a bit paranoid by assuming you have anything to defend.

It's not SU's fault and it's not Baulko's fault that the AFL stuffed a simple concept with their ineptitude ... if you are rushing to prepare a meal, and food falls on the floor, and you allow the dog in the kitchen, you don't blame the dog for eating it.

However, the fact that you and a couple of others from those 2 clubs, seem to be amongst the very few who think all is well, and that by repeating what is an abject failure year after year will somehow miraculously make it turn out fine, is a concern.

As I said, don't back slap idiots for their mistakes, even if you are getting an opportunistic "snack" out of it ... eventually someone will realise that they have left the tap on and it's been running straight down the gutter ... when they do, the tap will get turned off.

... or maybe you already know that.

Quote Originally Posted by unconfuseme View Post
    It's got nothing to do with your club Student, and you're being a bit paranoid by assuming you have anything to defend.

It's not SU's fault and it's not Baulko's fault that the AFL stuffed a simple concept with their ineptitude ... if you are rushing to prepare a meal, and food falls on the floor, and you allow the dog in the kitchen, you don't blame the dog for eating it.

However, the fact that you and a couple of others from those 2 clubs, seem to be amongst the very few who think all is well, and that by repeating what is an abject failure year after year will somehow miraculously make it turn out fine, is a concern.

As I said, don't back slap idiots for their mistakes, even if you are getting an opportunistic "snack" out of it ... eventually someone will realise that they have left the tap on and it's been running straight down the gutter ... when they do, the tap will get turned off.

... or maybe you already know that.
    Not defending anything, just clearing up a factually incorrect statement. You're free to your opinion, and I'm well aware of the fact that the NEAFL is only viable for as long as the AFL dump money into it.

I do take offence to the 'opportunistic' remark however - there are a lot of good people busting their arse at SU to make it work at our end. Across the club we've got seven teams that are all fairly competitive and about 200 players, so we must be doing something right?

Again, if it wasn't SU and Baulko, it would have been 2 other clubs, so it was simply "opportunistic" ... your club is motivated to be involved 100% out of self interest (your attitude and comments only reinforce that), and any dilution of SU's position as a "NEAFL Club" - in favour of say "growing the code in Sydney" would be strongly opposed, I'm sure ... don't try to make it out to be anything other than what it is, please!

But again, nothing to defend, what it is, is what it is ... given the "opportunity" I couldn't see anyone else doing different, and so nothing will change. SU and Baulko will get excited when a couple of locals turn up for a game, and 99.9% of the Sydney AFL Community will not even know the weekend NEAFL results ...

... btw, if THE major University in Australia's largest population centre can't recruit and administer 7 competitive teams, with a hand out from the AFL, no one can ... I wouldn't be bragging about that, but hey, well done anyway. Of course, there are plenty of far less resourced clubs (getting nothing from the AFL) who are 100% amateur, who run 4 and 5 teams purely on volunteers, AND manage to support and develop their own juniors ... but again, well done!

... and thanks for allowing someone an opinion - more than we get from the AFL! ... and feel free to correct every minor insignificant, irrelevant point you wish to ... it changes nothing.

Student,
    tell us about the extraordinary result out at Blacktown today - how did your NEAFL team just about win the boil-over of the season ?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast