Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: NEAFL

NEAFL

Sydney Uni tried hard but were clearly outclassed today at Drummoyne Oval by the Aspley Hornets.

It wasn't a bad match actually, certainly Aspley were a cut above but the really interesting thing for mine was the atmosphere I experienced...

I was not aware of ANY active support for the students. Sure there may have been a few GFs sitting around and I think there were a couple of old boys but seriously, except for the players and coaching staff I reckon there would have been lucky to be 20 supporters there. It was just a bit hollow but then again I guess their fellow players were spread all over Sydney

And a quiet tips students, if you want to sell raffle tickets to strangers as you were during the Swans game I think you would have a better chance of success if you sold them for $5 as opposed to $50, to genuinely think it is reasonable to ask a stranger to donate $50 to your club is quite presumptuous IMO.....

Not exactly sure what you were expecting MP, but so far as Sydney grass roots football is concerned, rather than the well supported stepping stone and showcase for locla talent, the Sydney based NEAFL teams are no more than a massive inconvenience and waste of money and resources!

The Eagles NEAFL match at BP went way over time today ... no idea how many were there to watch them get their collective backsides smacked, and like 99% of SAFL fans, I frankly couldn't give a rats!

... and all that it really meant was the u/19's who had a hugely "convenient", "scheduled" 4:30pm game, had a 2 hour "warm up" and were struggling to get their match completed, showered and home, before their bed time!

Until the AFL or the NEAFL or who ever the light weights are who make these imbecilic decisions get it right, and make the teams representative of and relevant to ALL Sydney AFL stakeholders, nothing will change ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Sydney Uni tried hard but were clearly outclassed today at Drummoyne Oval by the Aspley Hornets.

It wasn't a bad match actually, certainly Aspley were a cut above but the really interesting thing for mine was the atmosphere I experienced...

I was not aware of ANY active support for the students. Sure there may have been a few GFs sitting around and I think there were a couple of old boys but seriously, except for the players and coaching staff I reckon there would have been lucky to be 20 supporters there. It was just a bit hollow but then again I guess their fellow players were spread all over Sydney

And a quiet tips students, if you want to sell raffle tickets to strangers as you were during the Swans game I think you would have a better chance of success if you sold them for $5 as opposed to $50, to genuinely think it is reasonable to ask a stranger to donate $50 to your club is quite presumptuous IMO.....
    The gap between the Qld club sides and the NSW/ACT club sides is stark. If we can finish on top of the other NSW/ACT clubs we would consider that a success I'd imagine. Maybe sneak into the top six at best.

As you mentioned, yes we had all of our other teams playing elsewhere which makes it a bit difficult to have anyone come along and watch. We don't have much community support - don't think that's a big secret. Hopefully next week at Henson we will have a decent crowd.

I'd be interested to know how many $5 raffle tickets you'd need to sell to cover flights, accommodation and trips to the Super Bowl, along with the other prizes. And make profit on top of that. 10,000? For what it's worth we sold nearly 500 tickets at $75 last year, so I think we will sell a pretty fair amount at $50.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed the day, I'm glad you came down for a look.

As you probably know, NEAFL games are scheduled early for travel purposes. Never thought it mattered much on a Saturday but that has been the case since Day 1. Why the following game was scheduled so much later, who knows?

Unfortunately neafl syd afl sides pawns for the big machine

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    The gap between the Qld club sides and the NSW/ACT club sides is stark. If we can finish on top of the other NSW/ACT clubs we would consider that a success I'd imagine. Maybe sneak into the top six at best.

As you mentioned, yes we had all of our other teams playing elsewhere which makes it a bit difficult to have anyone come along and watch. We don't have much community support - don't think that's a big secret. Hopefully next week at Henson we will have a decent crowd.

Anyway I hope you enjoyed the day, I'm glad you came down for a look.
    We Sydneysiders only got to see stunning footy like today's (and at no cost to us) because your guys put in the effort. Ok, so you're a bit off the pace for now but you really do the work to get involved onto the dancefloor and I acknowledge that.
    And I acknowledge that the Uni has an educational role to play in helping guys to get a second chance at education....Barton, Winmar, the Canberra guys and the WA guys - probably others too.
    Forget all the bagging out - I'm no barracker but I like your work anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by chatovadafloor View Post
    Unfortunately neafl syd afl sides pawns for the big machine
    Aint that the truth.....

It was actually a great day out - I'm sure the students did their bit so fair play for that.

I'd go as far to say that they should be scheduling double headers all the time (Sydney Uni at Drummoyne and GWS at Purser) and just have the firsts playing at the SCG. Sydney Uni and Baulko should have the full catering rights and also be allowed to charge a modest entry fee. They should also be scheduled on a Friday night when no other matches are on in Sydney

I know this will be a bit controversial due to Swans fans not seeing the twos before the main game but will allow the following advantages
    * It will provide a genuine additional income stream to Sydney Uni and Baulko
    * It will provide some relevance and support for the local clubs and raise their profile
    * Greater commercial opportunities for both Sydney NEAFL Clubs

My disdain of the NEAFL is well known but if we are going to go down this track then maybe we need the Swans and GWS to make some sacrifices too

You are joking of course!

Apart from $600k in salary cap between them, what more assistance do SU and Baulko really need?

NO ONE CARES!

Spot on, you nailed it. We spend $300k on paying players. I don't know how you found that out but you did. Bravo! Such a brilliant mind.

Warming the Bench
    I actually bought one of these raffle tickets last year MP / Student and was more than happy to pay $75. I can honesty say I have never seen a better prize raffled off at a footy club. If they are now going for $50 I will buy 2 of them. Student - make sure you are selling them next time the Eagles play Uni.

- - - Updated - - -

Aint that the truth.....

It was actually a great day out - I'm sure the students did their bit so fair play for that.

I'd go as far to say that they should be scheduling double headers all the time (Sydney Uni at Drummoyne and GWS at Purser) and just have the firsts playing at the SCG. Sydney Uni and Baulko should have the full catering rights and also be allowed to charge a modest entry fee. They should also be scheduled on a Friday night when no other matches are on in Sydney

I know this will be a bit controversial due to Swans fans not seeing the twos before the main game but will allow the following advantages
    * It will provide some relevance and support for the local clubs and raise their profile

My disdain of the NEAFL is well known but if we are going to go down this track then maybe we need the Swans and GWS to make some sacrifices too
    Probably the best idea you have ever had MP and I can't believe you have a suggestion to improve the NEAFL. Are you coming around?

Will do TF - we are selling them online this year as well as paper tickets which will make it a but easier to sell to people interstate and overseas. Will keep you posted.

Aint that the truth.....

This is an excellent post and idea with great merit. Essentially, use NEAFL as a vehicle to get some crowds to the footy besides just Swans (+ a couple to GWS games...) and hopefully help it support itself. Including AFL Sydney games (definately Penrith ones) on those fixtures where possible might also be positive.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast