Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans Vs Gold Coast Suns

Sydney Swans Vs Gold Coast Suns

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    If you just read a few comments here and didn't check the score, you'd be forgiven for thinking we lost.
    I thought I'd inadvertently wandered onto sunsonline.com for a moment...

The best bit about this week was that our main Talls were well held, but Reid, Cunningham and the mids hit the scoreboard just as hard. Great to see we're not falling into the Hawthorn trap of always going to the one target. Must be a headache for opposition coaches.
    Last edited by DK_; 9th June 2014 at 09:40 PM.

I'm on the road right now and have only been able to catch a few buffering frames, but Jetta is prominent in these, making me realise that I enjoy watching his effortless kicking action as much as cheering him run and carry. Beautiful.

Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    Give me a break on Jetta, 18 disposals and 2 goals hardly pathetic. We are a team where all players apart from 3 or 4 dominate parts of the game then don't. Personally as long as we win each week I don't care who or if anyone dominates.
    Completely agree. He's playing a very different role. Far more on-ball. It takes time to adjust and I think he's doing a good job at it. His stats are right up on previous years. There's also a chance he's been told not to hit the afterburners. I don't think it was accidental that he stopped making big breaks in the back half of 2012, but suddenly pulled them out in the finals series. What I think is most amazing is that there's been several instances where top quality opposition teams have allowed him the space to floor it if he wants. Wouldn't have happened last year. Maybe there's a long term play there.

Re: Jetta

This is pure speculation but I think he probably copped a half time spray from Horse for kicking poorly to a contest when he could have run to 40m and goaled. K. Jack did something similar (what has been up with Keiran's kicking from around the arc btw?). When he did what he was told the team responded accordingly.

I remember after a game we won midway through last year Jetts was goofing off during the team song (sticking his tongue out at the camera, holding up one of his boots, flashing the peace sign) and it looked to me like Goodsey subtly told him to pull his head in.

I think this year he's been given the message that it's time to broaden his game and mature into a leadership role. That transition is always going to be tough but I think it's one of the reasons he's been taking the game more seriously. If he wasn't happy with playing you'd see it in his stats but week in and out I see him chasing hard and making strong tackles.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I finally got to see the game tonight, on the AFL replay. A good win against another good side, who are already serious opposition and will only get better.
    Fine game from Hannebery, all his usual effort and nearly all his disposals were effective, plus defensive play and support for others.

Harry was very good and continues to develop in several areas including a variety of positions. I guess Pykey will be back next week, but I'd be very sorry to see Derickx drop out; he had a very good game, well judged field kicking and the mids obviously like having him around. I'd be happy to see him stay if Tippo doesn't get up.

As for the ones bagged by others earlier in the thread, I'll just say I didn't see it the same way. Shaw had a good game; apart from one horrendous clanger that led to a Suns goal his delivery and run were generally pretty good. I agree with the people pointing out that Jetts is filling a different role this year, and doing it well, much more involved in the midfield rotation and a good distributor of the ball, plus two goals of his own as well as one or two assists. I think these are two players whose games looked better when you recollect that this is a class opposition who had a great number of intercepts off our blokes. Reid played well in patches and was in and out of the action a bit, but made a contribution. If he had taken the sitter of a chest mark he dropped I have no doubt he would have had four goals. One bit of bagging I do agree with is the umpiring: very ordinary and just as well we won as handsomely as we did or there would be a lot more bellyaching about unpaid frees.

It was a good game to watch, our kicking for goal was again accurate, our run and carry was well done, and although the Suns ooze talent in every area, our combination of hardness, fitness and determination saw us confirm our place on the ladder and ease our percentage up a little. Without being complacent, a good outcome.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I don't understand all this worry about Jetta.

He's playing a far more rounded game this year and has become a designated distributor.

He does appear to have lost a yard or 2, but on a positive note has bulked up to withstand the rigours of AFL.

I get the feeling this is club induced to ensure his career develops and grows. One trick ponies get found out at this level.

It seems to me he is trying to find the balance between tucking the ball and taking off, or distributing it.

Personally I'm really enjoying his transformation, growing pains and all.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I finally got to see the game tonight, on the AFL replay. A good win against another good side, who are already serious opposition and will only get better.
    F
    Whilst I agree the Suns are good, they are not great.
    They will get better, but not for a while.
    Look at their draw this year.
    so far they have lost to
    Freo
    Hawks
    Adelaide
    Swans

They've beaten
    Richmond
    Lions
    Melbourne
    Giants
    Kangaroos
    Saints
    Bulldogs

Kangaroos is the only team that it worth boasting about.
    One thing about Sundays game was that it was never really in doubt that we'd win after the first quarter
    Next few weeks will sort them out.
    I think they will be lucky to make the 8, although their run home isn't bad.

West Coast
    Cats
    Hawks
    Magpies
    Bulldogs
    Lions
    Saints
    Carlton
    Port
    Bombers
    West Coast

Between 11 and 14 wins at the end of the season for me...
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Fine game from Hannebery, all his usual effort and nearly all his disposals were effective, plus defensive play and support for others.

Harry was very good and continues to develop in several areas including a variety of positions. I guess Pykey will be back next week, but I'd be very sorry to see Derickx drop out; he had a very good game, well judged field kicking and the mids obviously like having him around. I'd be happy to see him stay if Tippo doesn't get up.

As for the ones bagged by others earlier in the thread, I'll just say I didn't see it the same way. Shaw had a good game; apart from one horrendous clanger that led to a Suns goal his delivery and run were generally pretty good. I agree with the people pointing out that Jetts is filling a different role this year, and doing it well, much more involved in the midfield rotation and a good distributor of the ball, plus two goals of his own as well as one or two assists. I think these are two players whose games looked better when you recollect that this is a class opposition who had a great number of intercepts off our blokes. Reid played well in patches and was in and out of the action a bit, but made a contribution. If he had taken the sitter of a chest mark he dropped I have no doubt he would have had four goals. One bit of bagging I do agree with is the umpiring: very ordinary and just as well we won as handsomely as we did or there would be a lot more bellyaching about unpaid frees.

It was a good game to watch, our kicking for goal was again accurate, our run and carry was well done, and although the Suns ooze talent in every area, our combination of hardness, fitness and determination saw us confirm our place on the ladder and ease our percentage up a little. Without being complacent, a good outcome.
    I thought it was great coaching from Longmire to move Tippett and Franklin up the ground and isolate Reid in the Goal Square. Thompson and May are terrific defenders, but no team has three great key defenders. Reid took advantage of this, aided by some great delivery.

This tactic could be deadly against Port if Tippett gets up.

Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Buddy free
    In the last few weeks we have had Dan, Adam and Buddy reported. Based on last years rules interpretation they all would have gone. (This years ruling is far better for the game as a spectacle as contact is inevitable.)

We are not a team that gets reported consistently so hopefully that stops (without the hardness at the ball dropping off). The last player that was reported a lot was Amon Buchanan

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    In the last few weeks we have had Dan, Adam and Buddy reported.
    They were "reported" by the media I think. I am not sure if all were reported by any officials. The MRP had to "review" these "incidents" to be responsible and responsive I guess.

Happy and I know it
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    They were "reported" by the media I think. I am not sure if all were reported by any officials. The MRP had to "review" these "incidents" to be responsible and responsive I guess.
    There is so much media covering AFL these days that they make up "stories" just to fill space.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    The last player that was reported a lot was Amon Buchanan
    Given that BBBH & Monty left in 2009, I reckon Hally might be the last player that was reported a LOT

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast