Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans Vs Gold Coast Suns

I was interested watching the centre bounce set up in the second half. Frequently our mids were all setting up on the defensive side of the circle, with Ablett doing the same opposite them, which meant that if the tap went that way he was getting a free clearance. What is the thinking there?

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I'm very pleased by the Franklin decision which I think is correct. But as others have already said Buddy has to forget the bump altogether. At his height it is simply too dangerous - for both the receiver and the deliverer!
    There's been a lot of criticism in the media about Franklin getting off, but if you look at the incident frame by frame you can see that contact is made to the body, Cameron is accelerated to he left (looking at the incident) by the force of the bump, but the head is not accelerated because it was not hit directly. This cause's Cameron's head to make contact with the top of Franklin's shoulder all the 2 bodies continue to the left. But it's oh so close! Franklin is certainly responsible for the recoil contact to Cameron's head, but the force was properly deemed below sufficient for a reportable offence, as evidenced by Cameron's quick recovery.

Absolutely correct Meg, as this was only millimetres away from a 4 weeker. He was so lucky to get off and Cameron so lucky not have received a serious injury. If he doesn't give up the bump completely, it's only a matter of time before something terrible happens.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by O'Reilly Boy View Post
    I was interested watching the centre bounce set up in the second half. Frequently our mids were all setting up on the defensive side of the circle, with Ablett doing the same opposite them, which meant that if the tap went that way he was getting a free clearance. What is the thinking there?
    To stop Ablett and O'Meara running towards goal from the tap out. It's harder to defend when those guys are so quick on the break with our midfielders wrong side.

Long Term Injury List
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    I was over the other side of the ground to you and we were pretty vocal over our side.
    I must say that I thought The Suns put on a very good game day experience and the ground is wonderful. The SCG game day staff could take a few pointers from the Metricon staff in politeness also.
    I was over the same side as you Jewels and thought we were making a bit of noise (well I was anyway!). As for the game day experience... the entertainment on the concourses was fine but the constant announcements and the on screen calls for the crowd to 'Fire Up' were mind numbing. Especially the electronic audience noise. About on a par with the crow animation at the Adelaide Oval.

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I don't understand all this worry about Jetta...
    Personally, I am not worried. It is just that on occasions he can get the ball on an open wing and maybe approx. 10m clear of the opposition but instead of going on a bit of a run his first instinct appears to be to kick. Kind of the opposite of Shaw.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    Personally, I am not worried. It is just that on occasions he can get the ball on an open wing and maybe approx. 10m clear of the opposition but instead of going on a bit of a run his first instinct appears to be to kick. Kind of the opposite of Shaw.
    You're right but I reckon he's trying to become more of a link player and a distributor, and he's just gone too far the other way.

He'll find a balance at some stage.

As you say, his first instinct now is to kick, opposite to his first 3 years.....So I assume he's following instructions in that regard.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by RogueSwan View Post
    And generally speaking his kicking is as deadly as his run.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Having conquered what Aegon could not, Daenerys Hannebery and his three Dragons; Goodes, Tippo and Buddy return from Sunspear... hang on, wrong obsession. TIPPETT, YOU HAD ONE JOB! Don't get injured. Actually, you had two but you were never going to kick many goals in the centre square, were you now. At least while attempting to turn you into the next Jesse White, it lent us the chance of trying to turn Reid into the next you. See ya in a month, Kurt.

The game itself wasn't what I envisaged, surprised that the Suns got so much of the play and mightily thankful Cunningham stole their kicking boots. 4 goals 0 - dead eye Richie! Parker impressed as did McGlynn although I increasingly worry about his battered noggin. Our tall forwards getting in each others way was a step backwards when our separation had been working a treat. And should you pray to the old gods or new, beseech their favour for Kennedy's continued well being. The fulcrum of our success or failure, should he fall... quick, think good thoughts!

I too worry about Benny's noggin.

I hate going on about the Franklin bump, but there is so much misinformation about the particulars, including the comments from Joel Bowden, who just said the bump was below the minimum required impact to constitute a low impact rating. True, but also was an error of omission. He should have gone into a bit of detail to derail the speculation that the MRP was soft on Buddy, which it never has been.

There have been side by side videos comparing the bump on Cameron to the one on Malceski last year, yet the obvious goes without remark. In the Malceski bump, the shoulder makes direct contact with the head taking the force of the bump and accelerates faster than the body, clearly indicating the main impact was to the head. In the Cameron incident, the body accelerates faster than the head, indicating the main impact was to the body. The contact to the head was incidental.

A few weeks ago in the game between Port and Hawthorn, Hodge laid a hard shoulder to shoulder bump on Wingard, actually leaving the ground with the bump. After the initial contact Hodge's shoulder slipped up to make impact to Wingard's head, who is shaken but gets up to kick a goal. All the commentators said there was nothing in it. Nothing to worry about. I would agree. But the Franklin contact to the head was even less impact than the Hodge incident.

I wonder would these commentators would have made of the Kennedy assassination?

I agree Ludwig. The side-by-side videos make the difference between the Malceski & Cameron bumps absolutely clear. And yet they are being used to say the MRP gave the Swans a free hit. Very frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by baskin View Post
    I was over the same side as you Jewels and thought we were making a bit of noise (well I was anyway!). As for the game day experience... the entertainment on the concourses was fine but the constant announcements and the on screen calls for the crowd to 'Fire Up' were mind numbing. Especially the electronic audience noise. About on a par with the crow animation at the Adelaide Oval.
    It must have been bad to be as annoying as that retarded crow animation at the AO. Lucky we didn't have to see it too often earlier this year
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast