Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Sydney Swans Vs Gold Coast Suns

Re who might be in the team next week, from reserves report:

"After collecting 23 disposals, midfielder Tom Mitchell injured his right ankle in a one-on-one marking contest deep in the Swans defence at the beginning of the third term and was forced to the bench and didn?t take any further part in the match.

Pleasingly for the Swans, ruckman Pyke got through the full four quarters in his first match since injuring his hamstring in the round seven win over Brisbane. As well as his goal, Pyke collected 12 disposals, five marks and a game-high 47 hit-outs as the dominant big man on the ground."

Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    Tippett injured his knee, landing awkwardly, after an attempted mark.....not rucking as you earlier ranted.

Clearly Horse ( that moron of a premiership coach) doesn't share your wisdom Re :Reid.......

"Sam's a pretty versatile player for us - he can play in a number of positions," Longmire said.

"He's held himself well in (the ruck). He took a few contested marks and dropped one, so he should have ended with four.

"He played well at the back then as we saw he can go a bit deeper. He's a disciplined player but also extremely flexible and important.
    Moron comment aside... I apologise for that. Uncalled for. But quite simply, coaches lie.
    I challenge you next week to watch all of Reid's possessions forward of 50, and note his ineffectiveness under pressure. Report back and if I'm wrong I'll happily rescind my comments of him being played out of position.

As for the Tippet comment of where he got hurt in ruck... again I apologise to you. Was just going off what I believe another poster had posted.(?) Like I said, I never caught the whole game. Only up until half time. Waiting on the Fox replay because it never recorded for me.

But I stand by my opinion that Tippet should never Ruck and that Reid is playing out of position and therefore a weakness in our team. Up forward, he is OK. But beyond forward 50 he is a liability. It's not like he is a sublime kick feeding the forwards or anything like that.

Opti-pessi-misti
    We have been spoiled by the Geelong win - nowhere near as sharp today but it was still a good to win. I think the highlight for me was our kicking for goal. So good to see Reid kicking with confidence and Harry just splits the middle each time. You can relax when Parks and Lloyd have set shots and Buddy indeed provides the excitement. At long last Jets kicked a goal on the run.

It is hard to work out how we won actually, the Suns skills seemed to be better than ours - except kicking for goal - and they matched us for stats in most areas. Was our forward structure different today? It seemed to work so well when KT stayed in the goals with Buddy further up the field and either Goodes or Reid hovering. Today the forward line seemed a lot more congested with a return to bombing it in long to a pack of players.

If Buddy gets a week for that bump, the AFL has to come out and just say that the bump is history. No one's allowed to bump. I mean honestly, can anyone who has played the game tell me that that bump was deserving of a week? Because if it was, it just HAS to be an out and out rule.. "no bumping"

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    The message is you can bump but if any head high contact is made you'll be responsible even if the bump is fair

That's why coaches have said that they don't want players to bump anymore. I guess Buddy didn't get the memo from Horse

I thought it was a great win away from home against a near full strength Top 4 side. The only disappointing areas were our tackling pressure dropping off on occassions and poor field kicking.

Agree with other posters regarding the terrible umpiring but didn't expect anything less from the two worst umpires in the comp (Chamberlain, McInerney).

Also needs to be said that Ablett is a phenomenal footballer. Despite being tagged and sometimes double teamed his instincts to get into space and grab the ball are second to none. He and Fyfe are the pair I love watching most (only when we're not playing them though!)

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    I agree this should happen, but the MRP is a raffle at the moment.

Buddy should take a leaf from our hard nut leaders - Benny and Parker. Make them earn the possession, hit hard and fair. He has to give up the cheapies and lazy indiscretions.
    Old dog. New tricks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    The message is you can bump but if any head high contact is made you'll be responsible even if the bump is fair

That's why coaches have said that they don't want players to bump anymore. I guess Buddy didn't get the memo from Horse
    Ugg speaks the truth. This is why franklin who is so tall but currently has the athleticism of a midfielder struggles. His shoulder is head height for those midfielders and half back flankers. Was the impact low or of insufficient force - that is the only question here.

Quote Originally Posted by rojo View Post
    We have been spoiled by the Geelong win - nowhere near as sharp today but it was still a good to win. I think the highlight for me was our kicking for goal. So good to see Reid kicking with confidence and Harry just splits the middle each time. You can relax when Parks and Lloyd have set shots and Buddy indeed provides the excitement. At long last Jets kicked a goal on the run.

It is hard to work out how we won actually, the Suns skills seemed to be better than ours - except kicking for goal - and they matched us for stats in most areas. Was our forward structure different today? It seemed to work so well when KT stayed in the goals with Buddy further up the field and either Goodes or Reid hovering. Today the forward line seemed a lot more congested with a return to bombing it in long to a pack of players.
    I suspect everyone has got a bit ahead of themselves with a win against the rebuilding and understaffed cats, as we did against the crows last year.

Too many times our tall forwards were playing from behind, and were two against one. Too often our players were drawn to chipping the ball to the contest rather than having the shot. Mcglynn showed with the pass to Cunningham what needs to be done. If they are playing the loose man in front of Tippett or buddy look to the small forward leading away from goal because their man will be sagging back to Tippett etc. we are currently conditioned to long bomb and having our crumbers charge the pack. What we would give for a Morton type (membrey ?) who consistently leads away because that opens up a whole range of other opportunities.

If you just read a few comments here and didn't check the score, you'd be forgiven for thinking we lost.

Veterans List
    The main difference between this week's game and last week's was the performance of the opposition not the Swans'. Gold Coast actually came to play, compared to the limp wristed efforts of the Cats last week.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast